pedestrians in Soi’s around Pattaya

Asiantravel

I don’t know if it’s just me but does anyone else think it’s decidedly becoming more hazardous to be a pedestrian in some of the Soi’s around Pattaya(that don't have any form of sidewalk) primarily because of the volume of motorcyclists and their speed?

When I look at Soi Buakhao it amazes me that there are not more accidents when so many people are walking along sometimes appearing quite oblivious to what is speeding up behind them.

But a new phenomenon in Soi Yume is that motorcyclists are increasingly using the raised paved area on either side of the Soi which is designated for disabled in wheelchairs.

Up until recently the traffic seemed to respect pedestrians walking along these tracks which were the next best thing to sidewalks or pavements (despite occasionally having to walk around parked vehicles occupying the disabled lanes bah.gif ). But now I am noticing an increasing number of motorbikes travelling at great speed along these walkways even when they see pedestrians walking towards them and only at the last minute do they duck back into the main traffic.

I don’t know if it’s motorcycle riders being more impatient or if there is just a greater volume of vehicles using Soi Yume while they are working on the tunnel in Sukhumvit but it seems more and more like Russian roulette just walking a few metres down the road to the 7-Eleven shopsad.png .

Edited by Asiantravel

OP I sort of concur - tend to either drive by bike or car along there but know what you mean. I think there are more cars using it due to the roadworks as you suggested and the bikes will just try and find a way through as quickly as possible, whether that means riding on sidewalks or against the traffic, as that is what they do wherever......mellow.png

I was told to always walk toward the traffic, at least then it gives you a fighting chance of dodging out of the way of anything oncoming, rather than being wiped out from behind

Pedestrians also need to use common sense, they can't just expect to walk two and three abreast down narrow Soi's and expect everyone to drive around them.

Yes, being a pedestrian can be scary at times.

I was told to always walk toward the traffic, at least then it gives you a fighting chance of dodging out of the way of anything oncoming, rather than being wiped out from behind

I wanted to ask how you walk toward traffic in a one way soi where the traffic flow is in the same direction as you're walking, then I remembered that we are in Thailand, where a one way soi also has two way traffic.

I wanted to ask how you walk toward traffic in a one way soi where the traffic flow is in the same direction as you're walking, then I remembered that we are in Thailand, where a one way soi also has two way traffic.

Fair enough but I was talking about two way Soi's, or roads.

Pedestrians also need to use common sense, they can't just expect to walk two and three abreast down narrow Soi's and expect everyone to drive around them.

Yes, being a pedestrian can be scary at times.

" walk toward the traffic "

Yes course yes of course I wouldn’t dream of doing anything otherwise. And I agree fully with your comment about people walking abreast.

But when you do this in Soi Yume you reach a kind of blind spot opposite Apus Condo and Family Mart because the road gently curves around to the right and you can’t see any motorbike coming around that corner until it’s too late so there you have to be fully prepared to quickly dive into the entrance of the nearest available shop particularly when the motorcyclist doesn't have any room to rejoin the main traffic .sad.png

Edited by Asiantravel

Yes Soi Buakhao is a nightmare to walk on and also to drive on, the road is just too narrow and should be a one way road.

That road must have been made when Pattaya was just start developing in the 70'ies.

No sadly Thailand in general is not really a good country for walking in the city/towns, I get the impression that Thais rather not walk.

Walking was always one of my favorite outdoor things to do, walking in a city is the best way to explore it and taking photos.

Now most of the big old trees on beach are gone and not much shade anymore, sad sad.

Google an article in The Economist called "Driving to an early grave".

"Where incomes are low, for example in Bangladesh and Kenya, pedestrians top the body count. As they rise, so does the use of motorbikes—often for the precarious transport of entire families. In Thailand motorcyclists are more than two-thirds of fatalities. A bit richer still, and four wheels dominate. In Argentina, Russia and Turkey the main victims are inside cars, buses and lorries."

One of the cheapest and most effective ways to cut road deaths and accidents in developing countries is to install effective sidewalks/pavements (the kind that motorbikes aren't allowed to drive along!).