Decent TV Options in Thailand?

EmptyHead

Hi everyone,

So, bored village member here who wouldn't mind some decent TV. I think the missus and daughter could do with some choices which are less mind-rotting than the dramas they are currently watching. If you have watched then you probably know what I mean.

So, I am looking for foreign TV channels. It doesn't have to be too extensive, you know, some wildlife channels, movie channels, and bit of world news. That would probably do.

At the moment, we have a PSI dish. It just gives us a load of Thai channels. I have tried looking on their website for other options, but its all in Thai. I had a look on the TrueVisions site, it seems alright, but would that mean doing away with the PSI dish (wasted 4k baht, or so) and paying for a True one?

So anyway, I would like to hear what you guys do for TV.

What are options here for buying a "freeview box"? You know a one off payment sort of thing where you get X amount of channels?

Also, what are you options for pay per month packages?

As you can probably tell, I am totally clueless, lol.

We can't get proper internet in the village, so I am stuck using truemoveH 3G aircard, which sucks so I think streaming sites are out of the question, right?

Anyway, sorry for the dumb question, I am a bit of a technophobe, but I hoe to hear what you guys are doing for TV and if you are pleased with it or not.

Thanks in advance chaps wai2.gif

Edited by EmptyHead

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try ilikeHD,not free but has many English channels,stream from your PC to Tv.

or try KODI, the TVMC from tvaddons.ag ,add to your browser and it installs the

add ons for you, good selection of channels in English for free.

regards worgeordie

No not likely,

True is your best bet I would say.

I had the gold package for over 5 years now and the only thing I don't like is the price, it's bloody expensive man at over 1500 baht per month.

You get it slightly cheaper if you sign up for a 12 month contract, perhaps 1 month will be free.

I have fairly high i-net speeds but my wife is not technical minded to put it mildly so since I am gone app 6 month per year for overseas work, this is the best solution for us.

Also many of the cartoons are in english which benefit my 5 year old son, he learns english by watching them.

Yes you will need a true sat antenna but I don't think you pay anything extra for the set-up but are not sure since we had it for such a long time now.

Below is what they currently air on the gold package:

http://truevisionsgroup.truecorp.co.th/channellineup_web/2

I think they also have cable now where an i-net connection can be added, perhaps worth checking if you can get that.

Even with slower internet if streaming doesn't work you could still be downloading and watching later.

I agree with the Kodi and TVaddons, it's great and easy to use for the not so tech savvy family members. You can run it on a small HTPC box wit android or linux, don't use a full blown PC as you don't need it and it uses much more energy.

I agree with IlikeHD but your connection would probably not be good enough.

TrueVision is overpriced.

Best bet would probably be GMMZ.

Just buy the box and connect it to your PSI dish.

You can pay monthly subscriptions at 7/11

A good selection of channels and cheaper than True Visions.

All packages under 1,000 Baht a month.

http://www.gmmz.tv/package.php

If you have a plasma TV, and good internet connection, just hook your computer to it, and get everything you want online....including new movies, foreign TV channels, sports, etc, etc....and youtube....all FREE....with a plus. To work in your computer and pictures on a big screen with a wireless mouse and keyboard.... Priceless.

With the PSI digital box,you can get excellent docos and CSI and some other American shows every night.Also some movies.When you see bi lingual on the screen,you press the audio button and change channels.Then you have English.Many shows have English with Thai subs.

No not likely,

I had the gold package for over 5 years now and the only thing I don't like is the price, it's bloody expensive man at over 1500 baht per month.

You get it slightly cheaper if you sign up for a 12 month contract, perhaps 1 month will be free.

I have fairly high i-net speeds but my wife is not technical minded to put it mildly so since I am gone app 6 month per year for overseas work, this is the best solution for us.

Also many of the cartoons are in english which benefit my 5 year old son, he learns english by watching them.

Yes you will need a true sat antenna but I don't think you pay anything extra for the set-up but are not sure since we had it for such a long time now.

I think they also have cable now where an i-net connection can be added, perhaps worth checking if you can get that.

Wife and I have True Vision Gold also. Many channels with good quality like several HBO, BBC, exellent Sportschannels that actually show more Things than True advertise with : e.g. Gold package give you NFL live.

I agree with guzzi that its overpriced since many channels show same Things over and over but if you try call them and ask for promotion you could get a good deal. When we started we got Gold Package for 50% first 6 months ... Its in wife name so when she has birthday True upgrade from Gold to Platinum for 3 months ...

Something to keep in mind about TrueVisions - there seems to be a number of channels with good English content that don't list their shows in the online guide.

For example using the Platinum package, I'm watching "Homeland" in English on channel 36 ("Now/26") right now. Channel 39 ("MoNo TV") also has decent content (movies, etc) in English.

The thing about these "hidden" channels is that they're labeled as "Station Name (Broadcast Trial)" in the online electronic program guide, and they've been there for many, many months. You don't know what's currently playing unless you view the channel, which makes it a little inconvenient, but there's a lot of good content.

The Platinum package is the top tier for TrueVisions, and as expected, has lots of English channels, including HBO and Cinemax movies, educational (Discovery networks, etc) and sports. Cost is 2,000 per month on a 12 month contract.

I download movies, TV series's from the UK, America and Australia. I have a big screen on my computer, at the moment, I am enjoying 'Prisoner Cell Block H', I am only at the 10th episode with about another 600 or so to go.

When I go on overnights, I watch movies I have downloaded on to my Ipad. When Mrs Possum comes along, which is not that often due to her work. I spend all my time with her.

As said you can obtain PSI pay service including CTH channels with no change of equipment (just paying the price). GMMZ has the advantage of offering Nat Geo Wild free but also offers pay channels (a bit larger selection of plans in my opinion). A quick change would be to buy a new GMMZ box with Gold package from Lazada for about 2,100 baht giving a year of Gold service which can be upgraded to other if you pay the difference. Cost of new box with package less than package alone.

http://www.lazada.co.th/gmm-z-hd-combo-white-gold-package-365-403518.html

Some great advice here! Thanks smile.png

The GMMZ box sounds like a good idea!

I'll check how much PSI's packages cost and then probably choose between that and the GMMZ box.

According to speedtest.net, my download speed is around 0.14...pretty bad, haha. I will have to look into better internet too.

Thank again guys!

Edited by EmptyHead

TrueVisions satellite TV service often experiences service disruption during heavy rain.

TrueVisions dish antenna installation - You can often get a generic dish installed cheaper from a local source instead of paying for the True-branded dish and installation. You just need to match the frequency band used by True. The True set-top box will still descramble the signal from a generic dish.

If you choose TrueVisions satellite TV service and if True doesn't waive the dish and installation fee a generic dish in the same frequency band may save you some money.

Even with slower internet if streaming doesn't work you could still be downloading and watching later.

I agree with the Kodi and TVaddons, it's great and easy to use for the not so tech savvy family members. You can run it on a small HTPC box wit android or linux, don't use a full blown PC as you don't need it and it uses much more energy.

no he cant he is on a 3g dongle with limited bandwith.

and tv addons is hit and miss.

No not likely,

Yeah! I have to agree True Vision Satellite is your best option.

I have Platinum but only because I like to watch Ice Hockey. I think you get an extra movie channel with that and a few others. My wife likes the Thai Channels.

But Gold did me fine for years and has everything you are looking for to. Works great in the Village. I had free installation on some promotion but they seem to have this all the time. For Gold or Platinum anyway.

I forgot to mention that I have also True Wireless in the village which I subscribe to and pay monthly, Mine works great in the Village and anywhere else in Thailand. By having Internet and also True Vision, I get some kind of a discount, but forget now what it is.

I really have no idea why your sucks. Maybe you Dongle is screwed? I had to change mine a couple of times as it kept cutting out all the time. If you subscribe you can trade yours in for a new one if you have problems. I did and the problem was fixed. I also bought an extra one from them for a spare and my wife to use sometimes from a top up at 7-11 and it works great to.

Downloading stuff from torrent sites is fine but I still wants my true gold package, 1500 baht per month is not more what a good dinner for 2 cost.

Especially when you got a kid you can just turn on the TV and he can watch the cartoons and I like the history/discovery channels in hd, don't watch much sport, not interested.

I have an Android box as well and that was a big mistake buying one, I just hate operating the fxxxxx thing, it's so unfriendly to use, I given up using it, it's collecting dust now, I think I used it for 4 hours in a year, what a piece of crap but some here likes them, hmm.

I have my man cave right next to the living room so a desk top pc in there with a super hd 27" Dell so I can download stuff and sometimes watch action movies not suitable for 5 years old.

no he cant he is on a 3g dongle with limited bandwith.

and tv addons is hit and miss.

Stalker works great and he hasn't said what his bandwidth is.

No not likely,

"bloody expensive" come on it's 50 baht a day = 1 GBP. That doesn't even buy you a beer. I think it's great value for hundreds of channels including many in HD.

You can buy a lot of thumb drives for 1500 baht a month - in my opinion cable TV has seen its day - but agree it will always fit the needs of some. I am not unaware of such service as had cable TV here when it first started (delivered by UHF antennas from several firms before what is now called True started to install actual cable and later DTH Sat. And agree it is much better value now then before (where you paid about the same for a handful of stations). But most Thai would likely prefer alternatives at lower price (which I suspect is why they offer free service now). GMM/PSI are lower cost alternatives if pay stations are wanted and if they are not needed offer several hundred stations free using C-band (with no rain fade). Sublimate with U-tube or torrents and I am happy. I no longer need the foolish adrenaline jockeys of the "News" channels to live my life. This is no longer a world in need of access but a world with so much access it needs priorities. The nights of looking at 'snow' on b/w TV screens as something to do are long past - we have more data than we can ever adsorb in our limited lifetime. So 'up to you' seems very fitting.

"bloody expensive" come on it's 50 baht a day = 1 GBP. That doesn't even buy you a beer. I think it's great value for hundreds of channels including many in HD.

Yes you are right off-course, its not that bad and would be hard to live without.

I wonder what a similar choice of channels would cost in the EU/US?

Less than in Thailand - and a lot better channels.

I doubt very much if you could get SKY in the UK with a movie and sport package for 28 GBP a month.

No but you can get it in Thailand for around £9.50 thumbsup.gif

Google the IPTV playlists and you can get the Sky channels for nothing on most days!