Boeing 747 in NaJomtien

Oink

• 1 year later...

I think I know where these aircraft parts are now. Heading for Bangkok on highway 7 just as you start to leave Pattaya. Not long after you come down from the flyover exit on Sukh.

If you sit on the left hand side of the Jomtien to Airport bus you are high enough to look over to where this plane is. I assume it is the same one as the part looks identical to the ones in the photo. If you are in a car and driving I don't think you could look accross to see it....

9 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

I think I know where these aircraft parts are now. Heading for Bangkok on highway 7 just as you start to leave Pattaya. Not long after you come down from the flyover exit on Sukh.

If you sit on the left hand side of the Jomtien to Airport bus you are high enough to look over to where this plane is. I assume it is the same one as the part looks identical to the ones in the photo. If you are in a car and driving I don't think you could look accross to see it....

Yes, that is definitely the same Jumbo.

I recognized it by the graffiti - some wag had painted MH370 on the fuselage.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

They reason for all these 747's without engines sitting at different airfields such as the one in Phitsanulok and this one. Is it costs a lot of money to scrap them. (the owner as to pay to scrap) Its expensive and the return is low. You will find airlines will give you the plane if you bear the cost of removing it! So if you gotta a bit of land and fancy converting an old 747. and some spare cash to cut it up and transport it to your new location. Go for it. Thai Airways would be happy to hear from you.

• 3 weeks later...

The last picture are pieces of a 747 .

You can see them next to hgw 7 when you come out of Pattaya.About 1km past the first new "take a ticket"to BKK.

I stopped there 6 months ago and spoke with the owner .He intends to make a hotel of it.

20161005_124457.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2015 at 0:17 AM, chickenslegs said:

Ditto.

I drive past there at least 10 times every week. Never seen a Jumbo Jet.

On the southbound side of Sukhumvit road, just south of Ambassador City, there is an "military surplus" style place - but nothing as large as a 747.

There is one 747 cut into on Ramkhamhaeng road going to Minburi .There were more planes there before.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2015-7-15 at 10:37 PM, Nice Boyd said:

I saw part of American jet on side of road, yesterday, 747, I think I might have noticed, unless behind Foliage

Possibly a C47.   aka Dakota

Saw the 747 a few days ago when going to U-Tapao. There was another small plane (Cesna type) hanging up higher as a sort of advert so I wouldn't at all be surprised if it's turned into a restaurant/hotel or disco?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Saw a Kev in Thailand video the other week and he visited the highway 7 site which had the 747 in the lot.

He was suggesting that this plane was to be a feature point of the new Terminal 21 in Pattaya. There seems to be a 747 included on  the scale model, the plane being sited between the mall and north Pattaya road. The model is at their sales office at the corner next to Dolphin roundabout and, no doubt, also on their website. 

We shall see.

44 minutes ago, dabhand said:

Saw a Kev in Thailand video the other week and he visited the highway 7 site which had the 747 in the lot.

He was suggesting that this plane was to be a feature point of the new Terminal 21 in Pattaya. There seems to be a 747 included on  the scale model, the plane being sited between the mall and north Pattaya road. The model is at their sales office at the corner next to Dolphin roundabout and, no doubt, also on their website. 

We shall see.

As long as they don't move the mongrels that are already living in the bloody thing as well.

• 2 months later...

I am trying to recall where but I also saw a 747 in parts just off the #7 motorway from Pattaya to Bangkok. Seems it was a mile or two from Sukhumvit on the North side in an open field....... Just a thought that it could be the one waiting to be rebuilt for the Terminal 21 and the one in Jomtien a whole separate project.......... I did see the one talked about about 6-8 months after making a special effort to look for it...... But many times since I have driven past and not thought to look for it and I haven't noticed it for a long time...... It is not very eye-catching......

On another note...... United Airlines in the USA are retiring all their 'aging' fleet of 747's and on their site they are offering to sell parts from them to collectors at rediculous prices......

• Confused 1

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2015 at 10:42 AM, vickersvc10 said:

Being a dyed in the wool aviation nerd, I visited the Jomtien 747 this afternoon.It is easy to find. Going south on Sukhumvit pass Ambassador City then when you reach the large Honda showroom (about 250 meters after Ambo City) the 747 is almost exactly opposite.

In case anyone is interested (which I doubt very much but I will carry on anyway!), this 747/200 series first flew in November 1974. It was then delivered to the late Canadian Pacific Airways. 10 years later it was sold to Pakistan International, then a weird West African airline called Orange Air. It was finally sold to - you've guessed it- Orient Thai, though I don't think it ever flew with them. Our sad looking Jumbo was broken up at U-Tapao airport a couple of years ago, and then transported to its current gravesite. The locals hanging around it said that it is to become a restaurant. We'll see!

Any questions?

No sign of the tail plane, in the photos?

I understand the first 550 747's constructed, had depleted uranium in the tail.  This was to act as a counterweight.

I remember, that there was some consternation, when a 747 crashed into a residential block in Amsterdam.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2015 at 7:42 PM, vickersvc10 said:

Being a dyed in the wool aviation nerd, I visited the Jomtien 747 this afternoon.It is easy to find. Going south on Sukhumvit pass Ambassador City then when you reach the large Honda showroom (about 250 meters after Ambo City) the 747 is almost exactly opposite.

In case anyone is interested (which I doubt very much but I will carry on anyway!), this 747/200 series first flew in November 1974. It was then delivered to the late Canadian Pacific Airways. 10 years later it was sold to Pakistan International, then a weird West African airline called Orange Air. It was finally sold to - you've guessed it- Orient Thai, though I don't think it ever flew with them. Our sad looking Jumbo was broken up at U-Tapao airport a couple of years ago, and then transported to its current gravesite. The locals hanging around it said that it is to become a restaurant. We'll see!

Any questions?

How do you know so much???   You're a walking, talking encyclopedia!!

Only kidding.   Thanks for the info.  Were you previously in the aviation business?

Edited by F4UCorsair

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2015 at 9:17 PM, johng said:

They have been slowly expanding since at least 2002 when these photos where taken.

post-2109-0-77685100-1436926653_thumb.jp

post-2109-0-42737700-1436926792_thumb.jp

I don't claim to be a 747 expert, jet mechanic or even a commercial pilot, but I will wager anything left in my bank account by Jan 12th, that this plane is not a 747,  It is way too small.  Maybe the shape of the cockpit would give it away if anyone would take a close look at the 747 which has been sitting at the Udon Thani airport for years. This looks more like a military transport.  Business must be booming there noting the size of the outdoor restaurant...

5 hours ago, Bigfarang1948 said:

I don't claim to be a 747 expert, jet mechanic or even a commercial pilot, but I will wager anything left in my bank account by Jan 12th, that this plane is not a 747,  It is way too small.  Maybe the shape of the cockpit would give it away if anyone would take a close look at the 747 which has been sitting at the Udon Thani airport for years. This looks more like a military transport.  Business must be booming there noting the size of the outdoor restaurant...

I’m certainly no expert either but the last above plane looks similar to a C-47 Douglas transport or a variant, definitely not a “Jumbo Jet”.

Edited by Roger Lee

8 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

The aircraft in the picture is not even a jet, it is an old 2 engine prop plane.

Not even as big as a DC4.

Geezer

Avro (Hawker Siddely) HS748. Former TAC or Thai Airways Company, domestic predecessor to THAI.

TAC_HS748.jpg.9f47501bebe7411133bfc3805a6d7328.jpg

• Like 1

imageproxy.php?img=&key=3bccf9db2954ff32How about this one?

South of Pattaya close to Sukhumwhit Road and 332 intersection.

Looks like all parts and some extras for the 747......

It is not at any airport, just being assembled on a field close to Sattahip.

IMG_0838.JPG

IMG_0839.JPG

IMG_0842.JPG

Edited by JohanB