Couple saves three Irish students from 'visa overstay' jail time in Thailand

webfact

But what is it an airline's job on a domestic flight to scare them to death. It is the immigration (under the police and ultimately under the Ministry of Interior) to sort things out and not an airline (under the DCA and ultimately under the Ministry of Transportation).

I will answer your question, as you do not understand the rules that apply to ALL airlines.

- These 3 pax were on their way to Malaysia, connecting via Bangkok. Because the overstay was dealt with at the departure airport and not Bangkok, this indicates that the 3 pax were clearing immigration at the point of departure.

- An airline is responsible for verifying visa and passport validity of its international pax at departure. Some countries, have a simple check just to make sure that a pax has the appropriate travel documents. In other countries, the checks are more intense. For example, in Taiwan, EVA has a special passport and visa verification before North American destination pax can enter the departure holding area.

- Airlines that board pax without proper documents are assessed a penalty. In North America, I believe it is $10,000 per pax.

- My understanding is that Thailand's international airlines are required to verify travel documents as they will be fined for improperly documented pax.

There was nothing unusual or out of the ordinary with the airline checking.

What is unusual is that the Thai authorities would have not waived the difference. Something was very wrong and the immigration supervisor needs to be disciplined for allowing this to occur.

As a former ZRHKKSR, ZRHKSTG I am more than aware of airline rep duties; trust me on that.

URTKKTG has no jurisdiction over overstay; they only have to check identity wai2.gif Latter was never an issue; former is and remains the duty of immigration and not the carrier, irrespective of carrier or country (North Korea and Bhutan excluded, but I am sure you know that too)!

they had a direct flight to malaysia so immigration checked their lenght of stay.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic