Submarine procurement project put on hold, says Thai Deputy PM

webfact

Submarine procurement project put on hold
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The proposal to buy three Chinese submarines has been put on hold and would not be put into consideration by the Cabinet yet, said Deputy Prime Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan Wednesday.

Prawit, who is also Defence Minister, said the Navy will have to work on informing the public more about the issue and come up with comparative information on what Thailand will gain in terms of maritime benefits if it will spend money on the three Chinesemade submarines estimated at Bt36 billions.

Prawit said the Navy should come up with a clear details on the claimed benefits and to explain as to how suitable it is the go ahead with the purchase and well as to how it will improve the strength and potential of the armed forces.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Submarine-procurement-project-put-on-hold-30264490.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-15

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unbelievable. They have actually listened to public opinion. Well knock me down with a feather.

Indeed. Some of the public were saying it would be a lot cheaper to pay out the back handers without going to the additional expense of actually buying submarines. A win win situation for everybody.coffee1.gif

Unbelievable. They have actually listened to public opinion. Well knock me down with a feather.

Or else - and far more likely - they have worked out a way to extract the funds needed to do "studies" on this. The 63-years-without-subs Submarine Division complete with admirals will continue to draw a large budget I'm sure.

Good news IME, the proposal should remain off-the-table, while other projects of much more economic-benefit move forward instead. wai2.gif

And the RTN might consider whether their coastal/fisheries-protection duties can be met in other less-expensive/dangerous ways, perhaps using patrol-craft or drones for surveillance, and whether perhaps the ongoing-costs of their current submarine-training facility might also be used better elsewhere ? whistling.gif

Indeed. Some of the public were saying it would be a lot cheaper to pay out the back handers without going to the additional expense of actually buying submarines. A win win situation for everybody.coffee1.gif

Or else - and far more likely - they have worked out a way to extract the funds needed to do "studies" on this. The 63-years-without-subs Submarine Division complete with admirals will continue to draw a large budget I'm sure.

Cynical bar-stewards - both of you. laugh.png

Navy told to conduct more study about Chinese submarines

15-7-2558-16-52-38-wpcf_728x406.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Royal Thai Navy has been told to put on hold its plan to purchase three Chinese submarines at an estimated cost of 36 billion baht and to conduct more study about the benefits that the country will gain from this multi-billion baht deal.

Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan disclosed Wednesday that the RTN’s proposal has not been submitted to the cabinet for consideration.

However, he said he had instructed the RTN to conduct more study about the suitability of the procurement project and about the benefits to be gained from the deal for the country and for the RTN as far as its capability is concerned.

The RTN’s plan to procure three submarines from China has raised widespread opposition in the wake of economic slump and a myriad of problems confronting the country now such as drought which is likely to further slash the growth rate down by up to 0.5 percent.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/navy-told-to-conduct-more-study-about-chinese-submarines

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-15

Perhaps there is more pressing important issues to deal with like a water shortage, however the procurement of Submarines when Thailand isn't positioned to capitalize on this kind of sea power is just woeful mismanagement , the only area of influence they could work in is the Andaman Sea and South China Sea, stuck in the Gulf of Thailand like a sitting duck would be suicidal , one capability the sub would have to be underwater for extended periods , the question is what is their purpose and roll , what do they protect with 3 , the Admirals prestige coffee1.gif

Why not use the money,instead of Subs they really dont need, and create National Service for all Thais when they reach 18yrs old ?(men)

After boot Camp Train them in different fields, that are of use to them when they complete the 2 yrs....

It would firstly get them off their bums and off the streets, and work daily....and second it would stamp out any corruption if it was in the Army (i.e.having to pay someone to get in). In 2yrs you have the start of a real workforce that has been taught the fundamentals of discipline..They would also be the first pick for the Police force after 2yrs

Watch Thailand go ahead then.....Singapore did.

just my thoughts.

A reasonable man may point out the only use for the submarines is to spy on and attack the shipping of aggressor countries....but their are no aggressors. So, no need for submarines.

Why not use the money,instead of Subs they really dont need, and create National Service for all Thais when they reach 18yrs old ?(men)

After boot Camp Train them in different fields, that are of use to them when they complete the 2 yrs....

It would firstly get them off their bums and off the streets, and work daily....and second it would stamp out any corruption if it was in the Army (i.e.having to pay someone to get in). In 2yrs you have the start of a real workforce that has been taught the fundamentals of discipline..They would also be the first pick for the Police force after 2yrs

just my thoughts.

Umm , they do have national service, conscripts are selected by ballot every April.

Rather than paying to get in the Army there are " informal" arrangements to get out - 35K. is the going rate I believe.

After basic training conscripts are taught golf course maintenance and a host of other domestic skills. The only thing they don't do, I gather from taking to my wife's younger relatives is any soldiering.

It's also not uncommon for conscripts to be sent home after the first year, and their pay to be, how shall we put it, redirected.

just my thoughts.

If there is 1 thing Thailand doesn't need its a bigger military... It's swollen beyond comprehension as it is. Seems to be a job for life for many too

They should buy some very old cheap subs....good enough

Submarines, even old-style, are extremely complicated and expensive to operate and maintain. Helicopters, by comparison, are child's play and yet the RTA can't keep its helicopter fleet in good, or even safe, condition. The very limited marine borders that can even accommodate submarines make them entirely useless. There are far too many other pressing interests in Thailand for them to spend even one more satang on submarines of any type, including toy ones.

224 to me and 0 to the 7%'ers now. I am certainly on a role. Although they have 224 excuses and I have none.

What Prayut said - "The proposal to buy three Chinese submarines has been put on hold and would not be put into consideration by the Cabinet yet, said Deputy Prime Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan Wednesday."

What I said 4 days ago - What the navy want and what they get are two different things.

What Prayut said - "Prawit, who is also Defence Minister, said the Navy will have to work on informing the public more about the issue"

What I said 4 days ago - Prayut is receptive to the wishes of the majority as much as some deny it and the majority have said very strongly that they do not want or need these subs.

What Prayut said - come up with comparative information on what Thailand will gain in terms of maritime benefits if it will spend money on the three Chinese made submarines estimated at Bt36 billions.

What I said 4 days ago - In fact the Navy admiralty should be challenged on this proposal and present a transparent business case as to why they need them.

My comments 4 days ago here.

Of course some will strenuously deny Prayut is listening to the public and will come up with wonderful excuses as we have witnessed here as the some hate to be proven wrong so will always come up with illogical excuses to save face.

Prayut is simply being a responsible PM and doing his job professionally by asking for justification for the subs as well as ensuring that public opinion is not ignored. Well done and it is a sign of a good leader.

If only the last govt did the same thing in regards to respecting the majority instead of pushing bills through parliament at 4am against the wishes of them.

Political white noise here. Silence then.

It is not even hypocritical. It is simply crazy to stay silent on undemocratic behaviour of a previous regime, but to make excuses for the democratic tendencies of this one.

Edited by djjamie

Talk about "pass the parcel".

This issue seems to have become a bit of a hot potato.

Especially with the drought. There is little money going in that direction. Its good to see some real thinking going on finally although it looks like they want to wage a propaganda campaign to get the people on board as the military just does not give up so easy.. Expect to be bombarded fast and furious with so called positive information as to why the subs are a good investment and desperately needed. Plug your ears cover your eyes and shout " Fresh water yes submarines NO!!!" Water and fresh air are the two body fuels we desperately need or its hasta lavista baby, goodbye, adios.