Forced to return to home country - what would you do?

simon43

A trip to the 13th floor (or higher) might be in order for a quick exit.

Please pin a note to your shirt explaining it was your choice so the conspiracy theorists on TV don't go into a frenzy about it being an "assisted fall."

I have to admire you,you are a true believer.Did you do the AA course before it was endorsed by the Big Yin.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im sure allot of guys came here looking for paradise and it turned out to be a mirage that slipped through your hands. The longer you stay here the poorer you get and the weaker and older you get but you are afraid to leavve because now you are used to it and it's vvery safe and comfortable here?

How do you recon that?

I came here in 2009, GBP/Tbht 52 ....... today it's 53.5 and my index linked pension has almost doubled.

When I came here I was a fat couch potato ...... today I weigh 15Kg less and cycle 30Km every day (usually up the mountain to Wat Doi Suthep and back).

But I am older (60).

One out of three ain't bad.

Quite simple, these expats came here to escape the hardships of their home country, and going by TV posters, most of them are happy here.

I am not a traitor to the UK, as well as the hardships I have already described, it is only a matter of time before the Immigrants outnumber us

unless the government wakes up and does something about it, though I feel it's too late now.

What an ingrate!

Look, I'll tell you what; let me know where we can meet up and I'll bring you all the forms you need to formally surrender your passport and renounce your status as a subject of the realm.

I'll even take them - and your passport, of course - with me when I go back to London and hand-deliver them to Her Majesty's Passport Office on your behalf.

Then you can take your chances with the Thais

My chances are far better with the Thais than the thieving Brits in a country overcrowded with Immigrants.

Nothing worse than a man who's suckled at the breast of the state, reaped the advantages of the education, healthcare and security it provided and then berates it from afar where said privileges have had the net effect of elevating him above the locals, financially.

Your attitude's disgraceful and the Thais are welcome to you

Edited by Cypress Hill

Quite simple, these expats came here to escape the hardships of their home country, and going by TV posters, most of them are happy here.

I am not a traitor to the UK, as well as the hardships I have already described, it is only a matter of time before the Immigrants outnumber us

unless the government wakes up and does something about it, though I feel it's too late now.

What an ingrate!

Look, I'll tell you what; let me know where we can meet up and I'll bring you all the forms you need to formally surrender your passport and renounce your status as a subject of the realm.

I'll even take them - and your passport, of course - with me when I go back to London and hand-deliver them to Her Majesty's Passport Office on your behalf.

Then you can take your chances with the Thais

My chances are far better with the Thais than the thieving Brits in a country overcrowded with Immigrants.

Nothing worse than a man who's suckled at the breast of the state, reaped the advantages of the education, healthcare and security it provided and then berates it from afar where said privileges have had the net effect of elevating him above the locals, financially.

Oh dear me you do waffle.

The advantages of education? You dont have a choice, you must attend school, which your parents pay for.

Health care? Never been to hospital but have visited a doctor a few times. I have paid plenty on private health care so perhaps they may refund me.

I never saved a penny in Oz in more than 25 years working there. I made my money when I lived in NZ, went to uni there, which i paid myself. Then to Malaysia.

When a person is young they have no choice where they live. It took me quite a few years to realise that Oz was not for me. So happy I saw the light and got out of there, best decision I ever made.

I don't see the point in being offensive. You make a very fair point, which those who might benefit from considering it will ignore, because of the confrontational language.

The advantages of education? You dont have a choice, you must attend school, which your parents pay for.

Health care? Never been to hospital but have visited a doctor a few times. I have paid plenty on private health care so perhaps they may refund me.

I never saved a penny in Oz in more than 25 years working there. I made my money when I lived in NZ, went to uni there, which i paid myself. Then to Malaysia.

When a person is young they have no choice where they live. It took me quite a few years to realise that Oz was not for me. So happy I saw the light and got out of there, best decision I ever made.

What you call "waffle" I call LOYALTY & GRATITUDE.

Of course young people have no choice as to where they live or are brought up but as one grows older, one begins to appreciate how fortunate they've been ESPECIALLY when they live in a country like Thailand where so many would give their right arm for the kind of privilege we had simply by virtue of being lucky enough to come out of a womb in Europe or the US.

I would bet anything you like that if it well and truly kicked off in Thailand - armed conflict in the streets - every last one of you would be beseeching your respective embassies to repatriate you safely

If any of you found yourselves afflicted by a dread disease requiring life-saving surgery and your insurance - if you've got any - wouldn't cover, I doubt you'd be slating your homelands to the ground while being wheeled off the plane at Heathrow to an NHS hossie staffed by those poxy immigrant nurses.

Sure, I live in Thailand - it better suits my needs than Britain does right now - but Britain is the cradle of my birth. It gave me everything. A sense of fair play, an appreciation of the rule of law and a solid education - all of which you people slate Thailand for NOT having

If you wanna bitch your homelands up, go ahead but I'm not going to disavow the motherland just because I can get a piece of farmer tail for £20 and a local beer for 75p.

Why are there so many expats slanging their home country,to me it is worse than Thai bashing.If they did not have the benefit of education and work then they would not be here,or any other country.I find them obnoxious,very quick to condemn Thai basher,but very slow to admit what their nanny states have given them.In my opinion you are worse and traitors to your heritage.

The real traitors in the UK are Blair, Brown and "call me Dave" who just do not listen to the people and are only interested in lining their and there pals's pockets.

Blair Brown are members of the One World Movement , no good will ever come of that , Just look at the state of the US. Its run by the same member group, Australia not far behind it.

Of course young people have no choice as to where they live or are brought up but as one grows older, one begins to appreciate how fortunate they've been ESPECIALLY when they live in a country like Thailand where so many would give their right arm for the kind of privilege we had simply by virtue of being lucky enough to come out of a womb in Europe or the US.

I would bet anything you like that if it well and truly kicked off in Thailand - armed conflict in the streets - every last one of you would be beseeching your respective embassies to repatriate you safely

If any of you found yourselves afflicted by a dread disease requiring life-saving surgery and your insurance - if you've got any - wouldn't cover, I doubt you'd be slating your homelands to the ground while being wheeled off the plane at Heathrow to an NHS hossie staffed by those poxy immigrant nurses.

Sure, I live in Thailand - it better suits my needs than Britain does right now - but Britain is the cradle of my birth. It gave me everything. A sense of fair play, an appreciation of the rule of law and a solid education - all of which you people slate Thailand for NOT having

If you wanna bitch your homelands up, go ahead but I'm not going to disavow the motherland just because I can get a piece of farmer tail for £20 and a local beer for 75p.

Freedom of Expression, something we are allowed to do, or has that changed too.

I know plenty of Medical Practitioners in Thailand, i would be happy see them if the need ever arises, Furthermore ,

I would certainly avoid the hospitals in Australia on every level. hahaha maybe i will end up in the lower ground floor one day..

A sense of fair play in Britain????? Tell that to the UK state pensioners who are living here in Thailand and have their annual pension increases frozen.

They have worked and paid NS contributions all their lives and the UK Government are stealing, yes stealing that money from them. like the thieves they are.

A sense of fair play in Britain????? Tell that to the UK state pensioners who are living here in Thailand and have their annual pension increases frozen.

They have worked and paid NS contributions all their lives and the UK Government are stealing, yes stealing that money from them. like the thieves they are.

You mean the ones who are also getting private occupational pensions?

If i had no money to live in my home country but was deported back, i would do a federal crime, daylight robbery, plead guilty and live out my remaining years feed, housed, medical care, make new friends, plenty of things to stay busy at , gardening, etc.at federal facilities

either that or stay in a boarding house (as i do have adequate pension to do so) close to a decent pub and discuss weather and cuss goverent with the other malcontebs/ attend the free holidays meals put on and the daily senior citizen free meal for variety sake.. and utilize medical care when needed.

Interesting you said that. Back in my hometown a guy threw a rock through a post office window the very day he got released from prison. When asked why he said the only life he knew was prison and the federal prisons are much nicer than the state prisons.

State pensions are paid out of current revenues, not from previous contributions. Back when the welfare state was growing, your generation and the generation earlier made an agreement amongst themselves that their children would pay them certain defined benefits, recklessly disregarding the dramatic changes in longevity that took place at about the same time.

SC

I have no problems returning to my native Norway if a crisis should occur. Fortunately we have a free welfare system that will take care of me.

I am here in Thailand because I hate the cold climate and the high taxes in Norway, and the food , the list goes on etc.

But if I need urgent help theres always a way out for me, I already contributed enough and paid my debt to my country.

Edited by balo

I moved back to SA after living in Chiang Mai for three years. Met a nice Thai lady with a Tourism degree who followed me six months later. Had enough money for a few months only and after she worked in a Thai spa for a year,opened our own Spa in a medical centre which is thriving.

If professionally run and employing qualified Thai therapists,not talking about the shady ones,it can be a very lucrative business in a western country.

But having said that,it's still our aim to return to Thailand asap.

Freedom of Expression, something we are allowed to do, or has that changed too.

I know plenty of Medical Practitioners in Thailand, i would be happy see them if the need ever arises, Furthermore ,

I would certainly avoid the hospitals in Australia on every level. hahaha maybe i will end up in the lower ground floor one day..

I would probably be sitting in a wheelchair, maybe suffer from severe depressions if I would have followed the "therapeutical" advices from some German hospitals.

In Thailand I can dance and smile, in Germany I would be a victim of their pharma-medical industry.

No, I'm talking about UK state pensioners getting their annual pension increases frozen, the money being stolen from them by the UK Government.

Do I get the feeling you don't know about this, I certainly didn't for a few years after I moved to Thailand permanently. I can assure you it is true.

Look at the UK OAP pension forum.

Soi Cowboy, are you saying there was some sort of an agreement back in the generation before us, that what the British people paid in contributions was not to do with when they retired?

There was no agreement with the British Public.

Successive Government, in all their supposed infinite wisdom, could not see the benefit of a cumulative retirement fund, and thought it would be better spending the money on vanity projects.

Creek sh!t and paddle.

I'm Canadian but live and work in China. I visit Thailand four month a year on holidays (Jan./Feb & July/Aug.). If/when I'm forced to go back to Canada, I'm not... it sucks... and has nothing for me. When the Chinese kick me out because I'm too old, I'll live in Laos and vacation (or go to the hospital) in Thailand..

What I am seeing here are a lot who could possible be forced to leave Thailand, but many who would refuse to be forced to return to their home country.

That is how I feel as well.

I left the USA because I was ready for a change and I could afford to make that change.

I decided that Thailand would be a pretty good place to be, so, here I am.

If I was forced to leave Thailand for whatever reason, I would find another place that interests me and not return to the U.S.

I am grateful that I lived and worked in the U.S. most of my life and have been able to set myself up some what comfortably for my later years, but there is no reason I should spend those years in the U.S..

I have had my fill of the U.S..

After 55 years living there I have done and seen just about everything there that interests me.

I also feel the political, social and economic situations in the US are degenerating now.

Every country has it's problems, but the worse the U.S. gets, the more attractive other places become.

Life is too short to waste time reliving reruns now!

As Thailand gets less attractive, I have many other options to check out.

It is a big world and I have plenty of time....I hope!

Amusing thread. There is no right or wrong answer. Foreign relocation works for some people and doesn't for others. An obvious statement right? The outcome selected should be appropriate for the person's income, tax status, employability, social and health demographic.

I used to wonder how some of the pensioners or 20 somethings survived. What was their secret I wondered?

Well, there was no secret. The young ones leave after the money runs out, or they get burnt in love, or become bored. They move on in life. The old pensioners leave Thailand, either in a box, or in some smoke, or on a sad flight to their countries long before they wanted to go.

Look around. How many very old farangs do you see? I offer that the number aged 80 years and older are a distinct minority. The heat, the lifestyle, the lack of specialized geriatric care, the high salt/high saturated/trans fat food, all kills the older people off. Far fewer older pensioners here than one sees in their home countries. Those that do survive, have established families, with a physical and emotional support network, and the money to pay for good health care. Remember, that once you reach 70 years, one of the largest expenses in Thailand will be medical.

Two subjects that have not been well understood in TVF are;

1. The number of 70+ farangs who do not have comprehensive health insurance. Some who are retired civil servants need not worry. However, for most from the private sector, there is nothing. The health insurance available typically excludes pre-existing conditions or ends after a claim or is too expensive. Have a heart attack on a street corner in Brighton, or Perth or Munich or Abilene and you will be in a hospital cath lab within the hour and a survivor. Do that on a street corner in Thailand and your destination will most likely be the morgue. Develop cancer in Thailand and unless wealthy, your survival rate will be significantly less than what it would be if you required treatment in the UK or France etc.

2. The number of farangs with pre-existing chronic conditions is significant. Diabetes, heart disease, respiratory disease are all much harder to live with in Thailand. The climate makes it very difficult for some, especially those with heart failure. Adding to that; are medications may not be of the same quality as those available in the developed world, limited medical expertise (despite all the promotions for Thailand as a medical hub), and the difficulty in following a healthy lifestyle in the land of fried high sodium foods.

The question answers itself for the older foreigners who are in Thailand. They either cannot remain or the decision is made for them when they become ill. IMO, foreigners die at a significantly younger age in Thailand than if they had they remained in their home countries. The foreign retirees who do the best are those who live in Thailand during the cold weather periods of their homelands, and return to their homelands for 6+ months of the year. Those who have functional families also have longer life spans,

I agree with "geriatrickid"....but at the same time, we don't know what cards we are dealt in life.

My dad had his 77 Birthday today and he is in late stage dementia... with my stepmom looking after him. Her life is hell.

So depending on what we are dealt with (health wise)....I have found that most people are more comfortable if they are in their familiar surroundings when they are ill, whether that be in Thailand or their home country.

We are all going to die....I think when the time comes...I would want it to be while I was doing something i enjoyed...or surrounded by friends and family.

What I am seeing here are a lot who could possible be forced to leave Thailand, but many who would refuse to be forced to return to their home country.

That is how I feel as well.

I left the USA because I was ready for a change and I could afford to make that change.

I decided that Thailand would be a pretty good place to be, so, here I am.

If I was forced to leave Thailand for whatever reason, I would find another place that interests me and not return to the U.S.

I am grateful that I lived and worked in the U.S. most of my life and have been able to set myself up some what comfortably for my later years, but there is no reason I should spend those years in the U.S..

I have had my fill of the U.S..

After 55 years living there I have done and seen just about everything there that interests me.

I also feel the political, social and economic situations in the US are degenerating now.

Every country has it's problems, but the worse the U.S. gets, the more attractive other places become.

Life is too short to waste time reliving reruns now!

As Thailand gets less attractive, I have many other options to check out.

It is a big world and I have plenty of time....I hope!

Well said.

I cannot foresee a situation where I would have to go back to the US unless I wanted to. No, I have not burned my bridges there. I have a diverse investment portfolio, but I do not need to be in the US to accrue the revenue from any of it. I simply prefer to live in Southeast Asia.

The private occupational pensions from which a percentage of your pay is deducted to fund.

Yes that one where MY money is taken then given back to me later, unless I'm on deaths door whereas the govt will just keep it.

Many thanks (sarcasm)