Defamation suit: Phuketwan journos defend themselves

webfact

DEFAMATION SUIT
Phuketwan journos defend themselves

The Nation

30264548-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- TWO JOURNALISTS of the English-language website Phuketwan took to the stand at the Phuket Provincial Court yesterday to defend their right to exercise their freedom of expression by reporting on the Navy's role in the trafficking of Rohingya migrants.

Alan Morison and Chutima Sidasathian were given a chance to speak up for themselves, as their trial entered the second day yesterday. They face charges of defamation and computer crime for quoting an investigative report by Reuters, saying some Navy officials were involved in the trafficking of Rohingya migrants.

Their lawyer Siriwan Wongkiartpaisan said the journalists defended their case on grounds of media freedom, insisting that there intention was not to insult the Royal Thai Navy, but to just shed light on the role of some officials.

The lawyer said that if anybody's reputation was damaged, it was that of the officials rather than the Royal Thai Navy itself, hence there was no point in the Navy suing them for defamation.

Meanwhile, the United Nations human rights agency and other international human rights groups have expressed their concerns over the trial and are calling on the authorities to drop the charges.

Human trafficking, notably that of the Rohingya, who escape on boats to seek better lives in Southeast Asia, has been under the spotlight recently.

The United States downgraded Thailand to the lowest tier in its Trafficking in Persons report last year for taking little or no action to combat this issue.

Reuters, meanwhile, won the Pulitzer Prize for breaking the news of human trafficking and pinpointing Thai officials involved, while Phuketwan is facing legal troubles for merely quoting this report.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Phuketwan-journos-defend-themselves-30264548.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-16

What I'd like to know is when is difference between deformation and specking the truth backed with fact's (evidence) going to be recognized?

If an accusation is leveled against a person or group that is false, fine legal action is warranted, but when the accusation is fact, why the deformation charges?

Ooop's my bad, FACE,,, is far more important than fact, "TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES" : Dr Ron Paul.

Reuters, meanwhile, won the Pulitzer Prize for breaking the news of human trafficking and pinpointing Thai officials involved, while Phuketwan is facing legal troubles for merely quoting this report

and THAT, dear reader, is Thainess

Are they aware of the very thing they are trying to avoid, damaging and negative international publicity resulting in a high level of scrutiny of their motives leading to condemnation by well respected international organisations.

Yep, good one guys your really avoiding the spotlight and regardless of a favourable verdict to your Navy officials you have already been judged by the international community.

Yes, I am also aware of their need to protect their fragile egos, probably of more importance than being judged by outsiders.

The Thai administration does go on about their international image, often.

Edited by Oziex1

Defamation, to remove fame. Who was involved that had fame to lose?

blink.png

Likewise, the Thai reporter who investigated and found connections to the Army and the death camps on the border was being threatened with defamation too, until the fecal matter hit the turbine. And PM Prayuth declared n"no Army people are involved". Oops.

If they want international face losing to become a sport, all they have to do is keeping doing what they are doing to remain the ASEAN Champions.

thumbsup.gif

Edited by FangFerang

What I'd like to know is when is difference between deformation and specking the truth backed with fact's (evidence) going to be recognized?

If an accusation is leveled against a person or group that is false, fine legal action is warranted, but when the accusation is fact, why the deformation charges?

Ooop's my bad, FACE,,, is far more important than fact, "TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES" : Dr Ron Paul.

It's very tue though. Not to say Thais think it's okay to lie but it's better to lie than lose face (in their minds anyway).

ps: Defamation as in 'defame'. Not deformation as in 'deform' wink.png `

Ron paul is quite a decent man of integrity that could not be bought.