Pvc, Upvc or Wood bathroom door?

Felt 35

What is recommended material in a bathroom door here in Thailand. Pvc was said in Homepro to be of lesser strength and lower quality so I was thinking one of this Upvc doors they sell, which is stronger than Pvc and priced reasonably. What about wood, with the humidity here and not the best ventilation system in the bathroom will it over time settle and change form?

All our doors are real hardwood (Teak), yes they do move a little with the weather, no issues with sticking, rot etc. But, our wet rooms are well ventilated.

You may do better with the UPVC, but watch for the quality, particularly if it's exposed to sunlight.

Only you can really decide if U/PVC doors will destroy the general aesthetics of your house, or complement them smile.png

IMHO, nothing quite says "Isaan out house" like a pvc door :)

Edited by IMHO

Since the flooding we also need a new bathroom door. Old one had a wooden frame with cardboard on it and that couldn't stand the high water.

The doorframe is not square and the frame is made of redwood, very hard...So i need a custom made door for it.

I was looking for a teak bathroom door with vents for the lower half of it costs 3500 untill 6000. That is young teak, unsanded.

Those pvc doors (or upvc) can be very weak and easy to kick in.

Consider Aluminum Framed (No see through) Glass Doors....A fraction higher (not noticeable) in price than a teak door, but the aesthetics are more of a modern look....They dont change their shape in any weather condition...and can be bought at Homepro, off the shelf...

Pull out the old frame and have Aluminum frames fitted....Job done..

PM me if you want to see what the finished product looks like.....I have used them through out the house.

Edited by weegee

Consider Aluminum Framed (No see through) Glass Doors....A fraction higher (not noticeable) in price than a teak door, but the aesthetics are more of a modern look....They dont change their shape in any weather condition...and can be bought at Homepro, off the shelf...

Pull out the old frame and have Aluminum frames fitted....Job done..

PM me if you want to see what the finished product looks like.....I have used them through out the house.

Pull out the doorframe? Maybe that's simple in your house but not in mine. The bathroom has tiles on the walls untill the doorframe and the other side has wallpaper. Also i can't see how it is mounted.

Changing doorframe is a job for a week. Better buy a wooden door and cut it crooked so it fits my doorframe.

A bathroom door also needs the vents, glass doors don't have that and have to be cleaned more often because you see fingerprints on it.

But if i change to a real wooden door i also want the western lock who shows occupied or not. Thai doorlocks are so crappy i would go for everything western standard.

I've had some experience buying and installing doors to bathrooms including a poolhouse bathroom in Buriram Province. Frankly the brand City Door, which I bought from Home Mega Mart, makes some very nice wooden doors with stained glass that have lasted 7 years with zero troubles. They were finished proper and painted with a quality wood paint prior to installation in 2008. I bought several Chang Brand HDF doors from Buriram Home Mart. They all failed to last. I bought five Chang Brand Exterior doors from Buriram Home Mart and they split after five years. I spent time and money to glue them back together. The right wood door properly prepared, sealed and painted would be worth consideration. I was not eager to buy a plastic UPVC door for the pool house since I had only thought of the 499 baht plastic doors in an economy guest house. It is worth looking at the better brands of UPVC doors such as Eco Door. I would steer clear of any MDF or HDF doors in Thailand irregardless of the brand. Now door warranties in Thailand has proven a good indication of the reputation and customer care policy of a builders merchants store. I might look at fiberglass doors, but which store I bought it from and what in writing they would do in terms of a warranty is crucial before I would spend a single baht. My vote if cost was a consideration, would be to look at the better brands of UPVC, not a "house brand" of a retailer.

Imported oak frame ( kiln dried and sealed ) so no issue with it "moving" like local air dried timber. Oak veneered marine ply doors. No issues with moisture and not prone to cracking/moving. Like anything, u pays yer money....