Anyone ID this pretty snake?

simon43

It looks like a rubber snake to me, harmless.thumbsup.gif

Found in wooded areas. Have only seen two in the wild. One on Khao Kradong Forest Park (Pattara Bhopit) on the side of the mountain and one other not far from my home.

It's called a beautiful corral, It is pinkish in color with small brown dots on it's skin. It is venomous and It has front fangs so I would not be about trying to pick it up. See the book Snakes of Thailand Many Varieties.( Ngoo Thai Lai Chanit)

This is young Boiga Cyanea also known as "Green Cat Snake".Juveniles are orange to red in colour, but will change into brown and then green after a year or so. And unless you stick your finger inside it's mouth, this snake is harmless.

Once I stuck my glasses on it appeared much clearerlaugh.png The photo isnt too clear but id agree with that judging by the big eyes etc

Edited by kannot

I have consulted Snakes and other reptiles of Thailand.. Red cat snake it could well be. Or a small-spotted coral snake. The Red Cat snake is harmless the Coral snake is venomous. Find it ,let it bite you then get back on here to confirm which one. Oh don't let anyone on TV tell you its a Cobra, the only snake some have heard of.

It looks like a rubber snake to me, harmless.thumbsup.gif

Found in wooded areas. Have only seen two in the wild. One on Khao Kradong Forest Park (Pattara Bhopit) on the side of the mountain and one other not far from my home.

It's called a beautiful corral, It is pinkish in color with small brown dots on it's skin. It is venomous and It has front fangs so I would not be about trying to pick it up. See the book Snakes of Thailand Many Varieties.( Ngoo Thai Lai Chanit)

The Small Spotted Coral snake has a short blunt head (not a green head as in this photo). This photo is a juvenile Green Cat Snake.

netcomposite is correct, I have had many of these over the years full adults and even the offspring. Hand handling them and not once have they even tried to bite. Not like their cousin the yellow and black boigas that can be found in kao sok! It's a lovely snake!

These wildlife photo and identification threads ayre fascinating.

I agree. Fascinating and very informative. Although I'm terrified of snakes, I have managed to partially over come my fear of them thanks to these TV threads.

How does a farang manage to own a rubber tree plantation in Phuket?

Being no expert of snakes myself, although I never kill snakes that visit our domain, I always give them a wide berth and treat with respect.

Oh.......here we go again, GO on BJ accuse him of running a business and growing rubber trees and needs work permit and scum like him etc etc etc taken outside and shot , ruining it for the rest of us blah blah.

I would say by the shape of the head, its Poisonous, leave alone.

If I don't know what it is, the shape of the body normally does it for me to leave it alone........................tongue.png

It is definitely a juvenile Green Cat snake - I even checked its date of birth...

How does a farang manage to own a rubber tree plantation in Phuket?

Off-topic, but I don't own it. My Bed & Breakfast property is built amongst the rubber trees - I lease this land in my name only for 20 years. (Any foreigner can long-lease land in their name only - I did the same for each of the hotels that my ex's own. I can 'throw' them off the land if I am having a bad day cheesy.gif

I like to live in a rural location - not a townie. My guests also appreciate the location.

There are many snakes here, green snakes, coral snakes, cobra. Also 6-inch black scorpions, flying lizards, gin gar lizards, large slinks, the occasional 1-metre long Monitor lizard, many large butterflies, Atlas moths etc.

All this and less than 3 minutes drive from Phuket International Airport.

wow these replies when a snake question pops up, like chalk and cheese,one person says " yeah no probs its harmless," another pops up with "its gonna kill ya", total confusion. i think the best reply was , "let it bite ya, and get back to us"--- loved it, classic. lol !!