Rainfall to decline as monsoon leaves Thailand

webfact

Rainfall to decline as monsoon leaves Thailand

BANGKOK, 21 July 2015 (NNT) - Meteorologists said the amount of rainfall in Thailand will begin to decline from tomorrow onwards.

According to the Meteorological Department, flood warnings remain in place for residents in the Northeast, as a monsoon trough is moving across the upper part of the country.

The department has advised fishermen in the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand to take precautions when leaving the shore. The southwesterly wind remains strong on both of sides of the southern peninsula, and waves could reach a height of 2-3 meters.

However, Thailand will begin to see the decline in the amount of rain from Wednesday, when the southwesterly wind is expected to weaken. The monsoon trough will also move toward parts of Myanmar and Laos.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-21 footer_n.gif

Up here in North the rainfall has been very strange, pouring down in one area

while 10 Klm away dry as a bone,when it does rain only for an hour or two,

and never monsoonal rains.made sure the water tank is filled and serviced

the pump,as it looks like going to need it.

regards worgeordie

Last weeks prediction of the guys with the green frog in a jar was it will pour down by the en of this month or the next, or the one after the next…

Do they recruit these guys from the leftover applicants for TAT jobs who failed the entrance test because they were lousy liars?

Who are these people in the various agency's who seem to have degrees in only contradiction. Last week we were told by these geniuses that rain is expected in early August now today we are told that the rain is depleting.

Yet another example of the quality and intellect of the administration.

If you really want to know what the weather is doing ,just look out the window. If nothing else it will be accurate.

It only rains when I want to go out with the car , which gets dirty , but I'm not allowed to wash because there is not enough water...

Therein lies the problem.

The very best way to bring on a rainstorm is to wash the car. If nobody can wash their cars, it may never rain again. Ever.

Vicious circle.

The monsoon season is over now. Does not look good for the farmers this year. Especially the ones that are on the first crop.

you better have a word with the monks then, they traditionally return to the wats for the start of the rainy season, Buddhist Lent which starts next week.

The monsoon season is over now. Does not look good for the farmers this year. Especially the ones that are on the first crop.

Very broadly speaking, Thailand’s rainy season can be classified as May/June to October. For most of Thailand, the wettest months are usually August-October. However, the Gulf Coast of the southern peninsula (e.g. Ko Samui, Ko Pha Ngan) is affected by the south-west monsoon which can lead to heavy rainfall in November and the beginning of December.

We are not even in the proper monsoon time yet...

You men the annual rainfall from July to OCTOBER?

That monsoon?

This headline may as well say "It will get shady when the tree grows"

Doesn't rainfall always decline after the monsoon? Isn't monsoon the heaviest rain of the year and therefore anything before or after it is lower rainfall. Is it really news that the rainfall will decline after the monsoon? Must be a slow day in the newsrooms. Newsflash daylight will come after darkness tonight.

OK, I have to say I'm just baffled about what these stories are talking about. It's like when earlier they were talking about "tropical storms," when they meant severe thundershowers. In American English the phrase "tropical storm" has a specific, technical, scientific meaning. It's a large storm system that does not have wind speeds quite high enough to qualify as a hurricane. Same with the American English word "monsoon." The normal meaning of the word is a system of seasonal winds that bring moisture-laden air from the Indian Ocean to India and Southeast Asia. The winds normally shift to coming from the Southwest (hence are called the Southwest Monsoon) around the end of May, beginning of June, and lasting until the land in China cools around the end of October, when the prevailing winds shift to coming from the Northeast. For the life of me I can't make out what these people are using the word to mean. Has there been a low pressure area or a storm system over Thailand for several days? There was a story a couple of days ago where some jamoke from the Meteorology Department said Thailand would only be getting two more storms this year. What are these people nattering about, where can I find out? Does anybody know?

Edited by Acharn

Since when has a weather predicted anything correctly?

they gave very loud and clear warnings about current drought conditions over one year ago so I think they did pretty well with their predictionsblink.png

I'm wondering if the same people are still working there. There was evidence that there would be a strong El Nino in the Pacific, so it should have been easy to predict this year would be dry. It always is. El Nino == drought. I can't figure out what they're talking about this year. It's like the Lewis Carroll book, Through the Looking Glass, when Alice is talking to Humpty Dumpty. When she tells him he can't just make words mean whatever he wants he replies, "It just depends who is to be master, that is all."

It's actually the North East moonsoon that is moving down the peninsula! Winds are from the North East!

Ah. At last an explanation I can understand. Now I'm trying to figure out why the North East Monsoon would start so much earlier than usual (normally around the end of October).