Australian Cars In Thailand

Whilst I never consider wikipedia to be the be all end all gospel for facts and figures but now that you bring it up giddyup

Here are the numbers from each page;

GTHO Phase III

Top Speed - 228 km/h (142 mph)

0 to 60 mph - 8.4 seconds

Standing 1/4 mile (400m) - 15.4 seconds

Merc 300SEL 6.3

Top Speed - 229 km/h (142.3 mph)

0 to 60mph - 6.3 seconds

Standing 1/4 mile (400m) - 14.2 seconds

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_300SEL_6.3#Performance

Interesting to note the wiki article says the GTHO had to be modified to achieve those numbers (disable the rev limiter) where as the merc was how it rolled from the production line.

I was only copying what I'd read on Wikipedia as I wasn't even aware that the GTHO had any kind of claim to fame, not out to win an argument. Be interesting to know what the price difference was on the two cars.

No argument mate, as I said earlier the GTHO was the car back in those days and I would kill to own one. I have always been curious as to the fastest in the world claim though when clearly it was not.

A quick snoop around google suggests the Merc was $10,000 USD. I cannot find a price for the GTHO P3 but the GT model was $4470 AUD..... my guess is add about 2k to that for the Phase 3 HO options.

Aussie cars are that crap even the Thais don't want em.

I just had to remind you all that it was an aussie car that was the fastest production 4 door sedan in THE WORLD for nearly 20 years, namely the 71 XY Falcon GTHO Phase III.

The homolgation specials reached their zenith with the Ford Falcon GTHO Phase III in 1971, a car which Allan Moffat used to defeat all opposition in the 1971 Bathurst enduro and would remain the fastest four-door production saloon in the world until the introduction of the Lotus Carlton 19 years later.

That was THE CAR..........The power it had was a fright .

I guess it's all relative...

Here's a stock V6 Camry embarrassing a Ferrari 308 GTB - which did 0-100 in 6.5 seconds.. quite a bit faster than the (at the time) 9 years older Ford being discussed:

My guess? It wasn't the power of the Ford that made it frightening, it was a terrible chassis that did that :P

I just had to remind you all that it was an aussie car that was the fastest production 4 door sedan in THE WORLD for nearly 20 years, namely the 71 XY Falcon GTHO Phase III.

20 years? that would make it the fastest production car in 1991 then.

To use a British phrase, bullocks.

It was having it's ass handed to it by so many cars by then I don't even know where to start.

No argument mate, as I said earlier the GTHO was the car back in those days and I would kill to own one. I have always been curious as to the fastest in the world claim though when clearly it was not.

A quick snoop around google suggests the Merc was $10,000 USD. I cannot find a price for the GTHO P3 but the GT model was $4470 AUD..... my guess is add about 2k to that for the Phase 3 HO options.

I believe it was about $5500 AU dollars. Either way, in 1971, it cost the same as my parents house in Tasmania. My dad was a mechanic at the time, and was test driving one with his boss. Accidentally like up the tires pulling away from the lights....by accident of course laugh.png Later we owned an XY with 6 cylinder. It' would shake it's head off over 90 mpg lol. Old tech just does not compare to modern cars, but still love the v8 rumble.

What no mention of the two great rally Group B cars owned by Dave Thompson?

This maybe old news but it shows you the level of cars forgotten about except for the real car guys.

TWO spectacular cars that thrilled World Rally crowds in the infamous Group B rally era almost 30 years ago will return for a special appearance at Coates Hire Rally Australia in September.
The MG Metro 6R4 and Audi quattro S1 are among the fastest and most powerful rally cars ever made, but their run ended when motorsport authorities killed off Group B after 1986 because of dangerous speeds and several serious crashes.
Such cars have almost never been seen on traditional gravel rallies in Australia, but will make their debuts in the Classic category of Coates Hire Rally Australia on selected stages including the nightly ARMOR ALL Super Special Stage and Wedding Bells stage, where the Flooded Gum Rally Village will be located on Sunday.
Coates Hire Rally Australia, Round 10 of the 2013 FIA World Rally Championship, will be staged on the New South Wales Coffs Coast on 12-15 September.
The Metro 6R4 and quattro S1 heading for Rally Australia are owned by Australian collector Dave Thompson and will be driven by him and leading Classic competitor Stewart Reid.
“These are legendary cars from a golden era that will never be repeated,” Rally Australia Event Manager David Catchpole said.
“Movies have been made about Group B cars. They are remembered for their fire-spitting exhausts and the huge wings needed to keep up to 650 horsepower in control – and now we will see them at Coates Hire Rally Australia.
“To rally fans, they alone will be worth the price of a ticket, but I’m sure every spectator will get a thrill when they see these classic machines fly into action.”
The Metro 6R4 was built by the Williams Formula 1 team. Thompson’s example contested the 1986 World Rally Championship.

To get back on topic for the OP.

I had a 1975 LTD in Australia, they were a smooth car to drive but better than that one of the nicest cars to drive was the Lincoln Continental it felt like you were floating on air.

A friend of mine about 10 years ago was buying these old yank tanks & restoring them to sell on. He was based in Pattaya and I think some of them might be around.

There was an Australian guy in Jomtien that had a Holden Calais that was also about 10 years ago.

There is a Holden Calais parked on the side of the road in Chok Chai Korat, looks as if it hasnt been moved for a few years. Not sure if its for sale or not.

Its just a case of looking around.

Edited by Jessi

To get back on topic for the OP.

I had a 1975 LTD in Australia, they were a smooth car to drive but better than that one of the nicest cars to drive was the Lincoln Continental it felt like you were floating on air.

A friend of mine about 10 years ago was buying these old yank tanks & restoring them to sell on. He was based in Pattaya and I think some of them might be around.

There was an Australian guy in Jomtien that had a Holden Calais that was also about 10 years ago.

There is a Holden Calais parked on the side of the road in Chok Chai Korat, looks as if it hasnt been moved for a few years. Not sure if its for sale or not.

Its just a case of looking around.

Hello Jessi,

Is this guy you're talking about from The Netherlands? I've met a guy a few years ago in Bang Saen that owns a 1960s Lincoln Continental and restores a few American cars. I think his name is Jerry.

You're right about the Lincoln Continental. That is what I drive back in the United States. Mine’s is a 1977.

This is kind of why I'm interested in finding one of these old Australian luxury sedans of that era.

Would be neat to have an American styled luxury sedan with steering wheel on the right hand side.

Not interested in any of the European models here because the ones here are all available in the US also.

Not the case with the Holdens, Aussie Fords and Chrysler. For daily driver here in Thailand, I refer the Toyota Crown Royal Saloon.

By the way, here in my Lincoln Continental Town Car I keep stored back in the US.

LincolnRide1_zps0b5f730a.jpg

There were two guys one from the UK and one from Finland, the guy from Finland Marty did a runner owing a lot of money in Thailand

They would drive around Thailand looking for the old yank tanks send them to Pattaya to be re built. It was not easy because

its hard to find good mechanics and panel & paint workers. I think the best way would be to buy one from the US and ship it here.

Yes the Toyota Crown was a beautiful car to drive. There are plenty of Toyota Crown in Thailand as they used them as private taxis

years ago, buy one & re build it.

Nice looking Lincoln you have there. Not sure if its the picture but the paint on the bonnet looks a bit blotchy. coffee1.gif

There were two guys one from the UK and one from Finland, the guy from Finland Marty did a runner owing a lot of money in Thailand

They would drive around Thailand looking for the old yank tanks send them to Pattaya to be re built. It was not easy because

its hard to find good mechanics and panel & paint workers. I think the best way would be to buy one from the US and ship it here.

Yes the Toyota Crown was a beautiful car to drive. There are plenty of Toyota Crown in Thailand as they used them as private taxis

years ago, buy one & re build it.

Nice looking Lincoln you have there. Not sure if its the picture but the paint on the bonnet looks a bit blotchy. coffee1.gif

Interesting story about those two guys. It's in Pattaya where I see the most older American and Australian cars. You're right about good mechanics to service cars from this era. Cars from the 1940s 50s and early 60s are easier to rebuild parts because it's all metal. I've seen a few showroom condition 1950s Chevrolet here in Thailand. Yet cars from the 1970s is harder to get parts and almost impossible to rebuild. Color-coded body side moldings, sensors for twilight sentential heads, vacuum systems for concealed headlight doors, emblems, decals, rear view mirror cables, external thermometers and other unique features on cars from the 70s are harder to find or recreate than from cars from the 50s.

I think you meant import a car from Australia. A car from the US would have the steering wheel on the wrong side for Thailand. That's why I'm looking for Australian.

The Toyota Crown is a beautiful car to drive and still in production till this day.

I'm looking at the 11th generation Crowns 1999 - 2003.

The Crown used as taxis are the Crown 'Comfort'.

Not to be confused with the Crown Royal Saloon - two completely different cars. Royal Saloons were never used as taxis.

Toyota Crown Royal Saloon

post-137506-0-58374300-1439015673_thumb.

post-137506-0-16579400-1439015710_thumb.

Toyota Crown Comfort

post-137506-0-12641000-1439015728_thumb.

Thanks for the compliment on my car. The blotches you see is because I had just used a garden hose to get rid of some bird poop. Here is a non-blotchy photo driving across the Golden Gate Bridge.

post-137506-0-00215100-1439015744_thumb.

Edited by 3SoiDogNight

I'll be darned. Spotted one of these a few days ago on Udom Suk road.

How do they open the tailgate on that export model. Is it electrically operated from the drivers seat?

Good observation.

This car has been so heavily modified that it probably doesn't even open anymore. Probably only opens from the inside only.

Then again, this is Thailand. It's probably welded shut.

I'll be darned. Spotted one of these a few days ago on Udom Suk road.

How do they open the tailgate on that export model. Is it electrically operated from the drivers seat?

Good observation.

This car has been so heavily modified that it probably doesn't even open anymore. Probably only opens from the inside only.

Then again, this is Thailand. It's probably welded shut.

They did come with an electric rear window that you wound down and then opened the tailgate. ... eletric keyhole could have been replaced with a toggle switch and mounted inside.

• 1 month later...

They did come with an electric rear window that you wound down and then opened the tailgate. ... eletric keyhole could have been replaced with a toggle switch and mounted inside.

Did any have the clam-shell rear tailgate like the G.M. wagons in the US/Canada?

I think I may have found my car.

Check out this drool worthy 50th Anniversary, 1975 Ford LTD Town Car P5.

It's in mint condition and has the options and color I would have chosen when new. Glad this car hasn't been f- -ked with.

99% in original factory condition. This could be directly from the brochure.

All I would do is re-install the original AM/FM stereo 8track tape player and get rid of that ugly aftermarket radio.

Not sure if it has cruise-control but I could add that from an early 1970s US Ford. That Australian Ford LTD has the same steering wheel as the 1970-1973 Mercury Cougar, Montego, Ford Torino and Mustang. Those had the cruise-control actuator on the signal turning stalk - unlike the full-sized Fords that had them on the steering wheel.

I have plenty of spare parts for these back in the US in my garage.

Now I just need to develop good relations with a few Aussie's that work at their Embassy an may know of some moving to Thailand to work at the embassy here. ;)smile.png

http://git.me/used/car/au/2858803024993149952/Ford-1975-P5-50th-Anniversary-LTD-Town-car

post-137506-0-86190000-1442820684_thumb.

post-137506-0-32801300-1442821100_thumb.