Income statements from the Embassy no longer accepted as POI

The Nong Khai Immigration has given notice that beginning next year,Embassy affidavits and statements of Income will not be accepted as proof of Income for visa extensions.

800,000 baht deposited by foreign transfer 3 months before applying or 65,000 baht by foreign transfer MONTHLY into a Thai bank account in your name is 'required'!When applying for your next extension proof of income will be a letter from your bank showing evidence of your compliance matching the transfer codes in your bank book.

• Like 1

I had a similar experience earlier this month when I applied for my annual extension of stay at Chaengwattana (based on marriage to a Thai national). For previous extensions I had used the 400,000 baht bank deposit, but I was unable to use that method this time. My financial proof was an Income Affidavit witnessed/stamped by a Consular Official of the Australian Embassy Bangkok.

To back up the Affidavit I also brought along with me (1) my Australian bank outward remittance receipts showing AUD amounts sent to my Bangkok Bank account in Bangkok; (2) Bangkok Bank internet banking printout showing the amounts of international bank transfers from Australia into my Bangkok Bank account (THB equivalents); (3) a summary table of items 1 and 2 with average monthly income calculation for easy reference; and (4) my Bangkok Bank passbook.

The initial immigration officer that went through my documents appeared to have never seen an Income Affidavit stamped by the Australian Embassy before, so she checked with a colleague and then accepted it. Then, when our bundle of checked documents were sent to the supervisor, she was unimpressed. She didn't care less about the Australian bank outward remittance receipts nor the Thai ibanking printouts. What she wanted was my Thai bank passbook showing the same amount every month for each of the 12 months. I was unable to show this as my international transfer amounts were not the same every month (although the average amount transferred per month as per my summary table was 55,000 baht per month!); and furthermore I had only updated my passbook on an ad hoc basis and the bank's passbook update machine had 'chucked a wobbly' and skipped about 4 months of transactions in my pass book.

So my lesson learned, was that I must transfer the same amount every month as evidenced on my Thai bank pass book.

In the end, following some polite persuasion from my wife, the supervisor accepted my application and said come back in a month to find out the result.

Edited by mark5335

I had a similar experience earlier this month when I applied for my annual extension of stay at Chaengwattana (based on marriage to a Thai national). For previous extensions I had used the 400,000 baht bank deposit, but I was unable to use that method this time. My financial proof was an Income Affidavit witnessed/stamped by a Consular Official of the Australian Embassy Bangkok.

To back up the Affidavit I also brought along with me (1) my Australian bank outward remittance receipts showing AUD amounts sent to my Bangkok Bank account in Bangkok; (2) Bangkok Bank internet banking printout showing the amounts of international bank transfers from Australia into my Bangkok Bank account (THB equivalents); (3) a summary table of items 1 and 2 with average monthly income calculation for easy reference; and (4) my Bangkok Bank passbook.

The initial immigration officer that went through my documents appeared to have never seen an Income Affidavit stamped by the Australian Embassy before, so she checked with a colleague and then accepted it. Then, when our bundle of checked documents were sent to the supervisor, she was unimpressed. She didn't care less about the Australian bank outward remittance receipts nor the Thai ibanking printouts. What she wanted was my Thai bank passbook showing the same amount every month for each of the 12 months. I was unable to show this as my international transfer amounts were not the same every month (although the average amount transferred per month as per my summary table was 55,000 baht per month!); and furthermore I had only updated my passbook on an ad hoc basis and the bank's passbook update machine had 'chucked a wobbly' and skipped about 4 months of transactions in my pass book.

So my lesson learned, was that I must transfer the same amount every month as evidenced on my Thai bank pass book.

In the end, following some polite persuasion from my wife, the supervisor accepted my application and said come back in a month to find out the result.

Christ what a place Thailand is becoming, they can't even get the immigration system right , everyone has an interpretation nothing is uniformed notice that.

• Like 1

Understandable to me at least, the Thai government wants to be assured that a set amount of foreign currency will be received here in Thailand and really doesn't care what an expats overseas income/deposited/not brought into Thailand might be.

mark5335

The IO was probably only interested in ensuring that there was , in fact, money being bought into Thailand.

Stat Decs are easily made but those who make them should always be prepared to provide evidence which will support what is claimed.

I agree and that's why I brought what I thought was cojent evidence with me that backed up the Affidavit, and was shown to both the Consular Official and the Immigration Officer.

Besides, under Australian federal law, a false statement on a stat dec is a criminal offence, and the Embassy had earlier advised me via emailed correspondence that their stamped / witnessed affidavits have been accepted by Thai Immigration without problems.

Anyway, I now know that the only evidence accepted by Thai Immigration is the bank passbook as mentioned above.

If this policy was adopted nationwide, it would get a LOT of current expats pretty spun up.

@mark5335, your post stated that the IO wanted to see "the same amount" every month reflected in your Thai bank passbook. Do you mean an amount > 65,000 thb/month or do you mean literally the same amount every month?

Transferring the exact same amount each month would be quite the challenge unless you can guess the exact exchange rate that the bank will apply in advance, month after month.

The IO said 'same amount' but I assume that a similar amount every month is what she really meant to say in English. For example, I had about 5 months where I sent 42K p/month (which is ok for marriage extension) and a few months when I sent over 150K, and several months when I sent zero. She was puzzled by what type of income that I earned overseas. I said it was a mixture of investment income (42K is my actually my net monthly overseas investment rental income so that should be the minimum I send, but because there were a few months earlier in the preceding 12 months with zero, I made up for it in subsequent months with larger amounts.

I too have never had to provide proof of money in a Thai bank account for my Non-O, marriage extension and the UK embassy letter has always been accepeted without question for 7 years.

My pension is paid into a UK bank account from where I withdraw funds via a Thai ATM on a needs basis, I only keep a small amount (around 100k) of rainy day money in a Thai bank account.

If there was any change to the rules the UK embassy would post on their website that these POI letters would be no longer issued, as of 2 minutes ago they still are.

• Like 1

BBK Stan is probably US Citizen, where Nongkhai used to look at the US Embassy statement and passed on without copy of all pages in the bankbook where the corresponding money was supposed to be send. (as scores of US citizens in NK told me!!!!!!)

In my case code xxx in my savings account has ALWAYS been highlighted on the copies i administered.

code xxx at my bank is foreign transfer to my bank.

NongKhai is harsh but fair in judgement is my honest opinion!

Nothing new .

Edited by hgma

us dont have to show evidence of income at the embassy my us friend filled in the afadavit put in a figure then signed in front of staff.

So no real proof whereas as the brits have to produce documentation proving the said 800k or more or no letter from the embassy so good news proof not fiction.

• Like 1

...I had to sign...another form acknowledging I was required to have proof of deposits of 65,000 baht a month into a Thai bank account in my name only or 800,000 baht held in deposit for at least 90 days prior to my application...

I hope somebody will post a copy or photo of this document. It is generally a good idea always to keep a copy for one's own record of anything one has to sign.

• Like 1

To "BKKstan" and "Solution42". You should clarify; were you told this verbally or were you handed a printout with the new regulations? You should ask for it in writing as this does not conform to the national law. If you were handed a printout you should upload and post that printout.

Yes, offices do their own thing in many little ways, but this goes way beyond just doing your own thing and it isn't little. Various offices or officers or commanders can throw curve balls, but this is a game changer for a lot of people in Nong Khai. I'll bet they don't have the balls to put this in writing.

I would strongly advise taking "ubonjoe's" suggestion and call 1111 to complain for those of you in Nong Khai who will have trouble with this new requirement. Nothing may come of it, but if you don't call then I can guarantee nothing will come of it.

• Like 2

oneday. Unfortunately I was a bit thrown of guard and didn't get a copy of the form. But I've got to go in and get a re-entry permit for later this year. I am going to make a point of asking for their new regulations in writing and a copy of the forms I signed. It does appear that Nong Khai is the only office doing this but this seems to have been happening from at least November last year. I read a post on here TV about it dated last November. The American I was speaking to said that a lot of his friends in Nong Khai had told him about it as well. Won't be going to Nong Khai again for a few weeks but will post on TV what transpires.

At the time I thought it was a national thing but only till I got on TV when I returned did I realise it seems to only be a Nong Khai thing.

Bye Bye Thailand. This is the straw that breaks my back. I will do my retirement extension next month for the 5th and last time.

I will move to a country that actually likes expats. This one obviously does not. coffee1.gif What a bunch of idiots. Killing the geese that lay the golden eggs. bah.gifbah.gif

Bye TS .

A couple of questions f I may......

1. Why bother with the extension ?

2. Which country has more to offer and what is the cost ?

Bye Bye Thailand. This is the straw that breaks my back. I will do my retirement extension next month for the 5th and last time.

I will move to a country that actually likes expats. This one obviously does not. coffee1.gif What a bunch of idiots. Killing the geese that lay the golden eggs. bah.gifbah.gif

Bye TS .

A couple of questions f I may......

1. Why bother with the extension ?

2. Which country has more to offer and what is the cost ?

1. Because I've been here 5 years and need time to get rid of accumulated stuff. I'm in no rush to leave. Just won't put up with the new income rules. Dealing with Thai banks is dicey enough now.

2. I need to do the research. I know that Mexico has very favorable climate for retired expats, but don't know the costs.

I may just go back to America. I really love the Bay Area. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

EXACTLY - - as if they find all kinds of reason to make it difficult for us .

Maybe they should just kick out all LEGIMATE PENSIONERS on low fixed income.

A Criminal will have NO TROUBLE depositing THB 10.- MILLION into their account and

season it for 3 months , we the pensioners receive GROSS INCOME , then have to

pay through deductions taxes, etc. - SO what we receive in our account is NET AMOUNT.

How can Thai Immigration EXPECT us to TRANSFER our GROSS INCOME into a Thai

Account ?????? somebody need to study ACCOUNTING & BANKING PROCEDURES .

Looks like somebody is " doodling procedures " while having coffee , absolutely NO

PROFESSIONALISM .

• Like 1