Income statements from the Embassy no longer accepted as POI

Bye Bye Thailand. This is the straw that breaks my back. I will do my retirement extension next month for the 5th and last time.

I will move to a country that actually likes expats. This one obviously does not. coffee1.gif What a bunch of idiots. Killing the geese that lay the golden eggs. bah.gifbah.gif

Bye TS .

A couple of questions f I may......

1. Why bother with the extension ?

2. Which country has more to offer and what is the cost ?

1. Because I've been here 5 years and need time to get rid of accumulated stuff. I'm in no rush to leave. Just won't put up with the new income rules. Dealing with Thai banks is dicey enough now.

2. I need to do the research. I know that Mexico has very favorable climate for retired expats, but don't know the costs.

I may just go back to America. I really love the Bay Area. coffee1.gif

Mexico ?

That would be a nice peaceful country to retire in thumbsup.gif

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/22/mexico-firefight-drug-cartel-region

oneday. Unfortunately I was a bit thrown of guard and didn't get a copy of the form. But I've got to go in and get a re-entry permit for later this year. I am going to make a point of asking for their new regulations in writing and a copy of the forms I signed. It does appear that Nong Khai is the only office doing this but this seems to have been happening from at least November last year. I read a post on here TV about it dated last November. The American I was speaking to said that a lot of his friends in Nong Khai had told him about it as well. Won't be going to Nong Khai again for a few weeks but will post on TV what transpires.

At the time I thought it was a national thing but only till I got on TV when I returned did I realise it seems to only be a Nong Khai thing.

If correct then this policy will hit many retired ex pats hard including me. Also you can bet if Nong Khai are rolling this out then others will follow. I doubt it has been in force though since November last year though because I have recently successfully applied and received my umpteenth marriage extension using monthly income of 40000 baht month using a UK embassy letter has proof. There was no mention of any change or future change of policy. Their main focus instead seemed to be to persuade me in future that I must do 90 day reporting on line, not in person.

That's harsh!

No problem for those using the 800K method as that's no change.

But for those on income method, they are going rogue as there really is no official policy requiring full IMPORT of all of those funds.

Well I hope it was an 'English' thing but that could be read that a 3 month prior transfer of 800k is required before making an extension application. Hopefully that doesn't mean every year!

I know some Embassies issue the letter without there really being any confirmation of the income so one can expect this to a degree.

Bye Bye Thailand. This is the straw that breaks my back. I will do my retirement extension next month for the 5th and last time.

I will move to a country that actually likes expats. This one obviously does not. coffee1.gif What a bunch of idiots. Killing the geese that lay the golden eggs. bah.gifbah.gif

Bye TS .

A couple of questions f I may......

1. Why bother with the extension ?

2. Which country has more to offer and what is the cost ?

1. Because I've been here 5 years and need time to get rid of accumulated stuff. I'm in no rush to leave. Just won't put up with the new income rules. Dealing with Thai banks is dicey enough now.

2. I need to do the research. I know that Mexico has very favorable climate for retired expats, but don't know the costs.

I may just go back to America. I really love the Bay Area. coffee1.gif

Mexico ?

That would be a nice peaceful country to retire in thumbsup.gif

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/22/mexico-firefight-drug-cartel-region

Like I said, research is necessary.

I still consider the requirement to bring the same amount of money into the country every month as dumb. As far as I am aware, the rule now states that one must bring in a minimum of 65,000 baht per month. I transfer around $2100 from my American account to my Bangkok account every month. It automatically gets converted to Thai baht in the process. I never know how much baht will arrive because the exchange rate is never the same. So, bringing in the same amount of baht every month will not work for me. Plus, I need the flexability of bringing in more, if and when I need it. coffee1.gif But then, the ability to think and reason is required. whistling.gif

BKKstan

Is this fact, fiction or just old fashioned rumour ?

Can you post the notice

This is no fiction.

This is the new reality, unfortunately!

I was already reporting this new regulation about 2 months ago on Thai Visa WPFflags.gif

BKKstan

Can you post the notice

This is no fiction.

I was already reporting this new regulation about 2 months ago on Thai Visa WPFflags.gif

Could you post a link to this "new regulation "

When was this decided at Nong Khai. I have recently succesfully done my marriage extension there using the embassy letter as proof of income and there was no mention of this.

It was decided in February this year.

But they will start to apply the new rule as from the next year 2016.

If you read my post I did not say they would I said you can bet they would.

Regarding your comment about not worrying about this matter until Bangkok makes a major change. Has for not worrying, how about telling that to the people that have no choice but to use Nong Khai for their extensions who may have to leave Thailand and their homes and families because they cannot fulfil, to quote you "their rogue style of enforcement".

This forum is to help and assist people so please do not tell me to pay attention.

BKKstan

Can you post the notice

This is no fiction.

As far as I can understand now, this is an internal Order for Nongkhai Immigration Office only.

It is not published anywhere.

However if you come and ask, they may be able to show you this Order.

The text:

I,

nationality, passport nr etc,

has (?) filed an application to stay in Thailand for ... maybe ... days...)

I certify to the Nongkhai Immi officer that when I apply next time, I will transfer my pension through the bank in Thailand at least b 65,000 per month. And I will bring in the proof of my transfer of the pension to the Immi officer.

Next time I will have mr/mrs/ms ..... age...years ... nationality ... relationship ...address...etc...as a witness.

I have read and confirmed to report all the facts and sign as evidence of truth...

me...

witness...

recorder/reader...

• Like 1

So Nong Khai, a remote provincial office is doing a rogue style of enforcement and the logic is that many other offices will follow?

That's rubbish.

Pay attention if BANGKOK makes a major change.

Then worry about that.

Nong Khai has always been pretty whack. Used to have to buy a packet of the fat lady's cookies for 100 baht to get anything done.

Still, Jing, your post is pretty insensitive. This is what legitimate expats deal with all over the 'remote provincial' area.

I think, based on living there in 2005, and again in 2011-12, they are attempting a little social engineering. Foreigners were openly welcomed 10 years ago, and pretty reviled by the time I moved back. Some magazine named Nong Khai as one of the top 10 retirement destinations, and it got inundated. Lots of very nice retirees, but, unfortunately, lots of yobbos, doing what yobbos do. Kind of screwed the goose...

Nong Khai may be a special case, but gaming the rules is a bad sign, and available to any 'remote provincial' Immigration office whose boss decides he doesn't like so many farangs around...

BKKstan

Can you post the notice

This is no fiction.

As far as I can understand now, this is an internal Order for Nongkhai Immigration Office only.

How do you understand? Are you in touch with other Thai immigration offices? Didn't you ask? Are you an American?

As far as I can see there are three posters who have maybe one topic posted between them and are deciding to rattle the cages of thousands of old retirees in Thailand. Typical Thai visa stuff.

Nothing in writing - it's a malicious rumor. More than a decade of getting retirement extensions all over Thailand and no immigration officer has ever told me anything about next year.

Sorry if I am a skeptic septic but a lot of people on Thai Visa get a kick out of trying to scare old guys.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

So Nong Khai, a remote provincial office is doing a rogue style of enforcement and the logic is that many other offices will follow?

That's rubbish.

Pay attention if BANGKOK makes a major change.

Then worry about that.

Nong Khai has always been pretty whack. Used to have to buy a packet of the fat lady's cookies for 100 baht to get anything done.

Still, Jing, your post is pretty insensitive. This is what legitimate expats deal with all over the 'remote provincial' area.

I think, based on living there in 2005, and again in 2011-12, they are attempting a little social engineering. Foreigners were openly welcomed 10 years ago, and pretty reviled by the time I moved back. Some magazine named Nong Khai as one of the top 10 retirement destinations, and it got inundated. Lots of very nice retirees, but, unfortunately, lots of yobbos, doing what yobbos do. Kind of screwed the goose...

Nong Khai may be a special case, but gaming the rules is a bad sign, and available to any 'remote provincial' Immigration office whose boss decides he doesn't like so many farangs around...

Having lived in Nong Khai since 2007 and having Nong Khai immigration on my doorstep I am fully in agreement with what you are saying and could not have put everything you said better.

• Like 1

BKKstan

Can you post the notice

This is no fiction.

Sounds as if there is no "new regulation"

If people using this office really are being disadvantage by some local rule there should be some complaints lodged using the 111 number.

• Like 1

Every country I lived in had regulations ... period ... not to be interpreted .. black and white and every office was on the same page.

"Interpretation" is for the purpose of Immigration officers receiving tea money and I am sure the "interpretation" allowance is deliberate.

I didn't say you shouldn't worry if you use the NK office.

Obviously, in that case, you SHOULD worry.

What offended me and offended me strongly is one poster suggesting that NK was leading the nation in this odd enforcement.

That unnecessarily might worry retired expats all over Thailand.

That is just WRONG to do based on the current situation at that one remote provincial office.

So who is insensitive? I think not me. I think starting rumors that are based on nothing is the insensitive thing here.

Next ...

• Like 2

// how about telling that to the people that have no choice but to use Nong Khai for their extensions who may have to leave Thailand and their homes and families because they cannot fulfil, to quote you "their rogue style of enforcement".

Seriously... rolleyes.gif

Nobody will have to leave even if this rules applies to the whole Thailand.

All what you need to stay in fact is a bit more of 65'000 baht:

- you send it to your Thai bank Month 1

- you take it and send it back to you home country account

- you send it to your Thai bank Month 2

- etc. smile.png

You don't need to have 12x65'000 baht, just to use the same 65'000 every month wink.png

• Like 2

oneday. Unfortunately I was a bit thrown of guard and didn't get a copy of the form. But I've got to go in and get a re-entry permit for later this year. I am going to make a point of asking for their new regulations in writing and a copy of the forms I signed. It does appear that Nong Khai is the only office doing this but this seems to have been happening from at least November last year. I read a post on here TV about it dated last November. The American I was speaking to said that a lot of his friends in Nong Khai had told him about it as well. Won't be going to Nong Khai again for a few weeks but will post on TV what transpires.

At the time I thought it was a national thing but only till I got on TV when I returned did I realise it seems to only be a Nong Khai thing.

It happens to me, too, usually at banks, that I forget to obtain copies of papers I sign. Thank you for trying to get a copy of that document with the irregular requirement at Nong Khai immigration office. It is for my reference album of Current stamps of visas, extensions, etc

I didn't say you shouldn't worry if you use the NK office.

Obviously, in that case, you SHOULD worry.

What offended me and offended me strongly is one poster suggesting that NK was leading the nation in this odd enforcement.

That unnecessarily might worry retired expats all over Thailand.

That is just WRONG to do based on the current situation at that one remote provincial office.

So who is insensitive? I think not me. I think starting rumors that are based on nothing is the insensitive thing here.

Next ...

You been around forever. How many times have you heard TV's two favorite rumors - You have to report a different address if you move every 24 hour period and the Americans will now have to prove retirement income? 1000 times?

I went to Nong Khai yesterday 22/07/2015 with a stat dec from the Australian embassy. I too was told that next year not to bother going to get a stat Dec from the Embassy that I needed to show a Thai Bank statement letter from the bank and copies of my bank passbook showing monthly deposits of 65,000 baht or have 800,000 baht in as a deposit for 3ths prior to application. They said they no longer accept letters from the Embassies and that this is that last time I will be able to do a retirement extension using that method. They also advised an American citizen the same as we were discussing it while we were waiting. In addition I had to sign forms acknowledging the late penalties of reporting, overstaying and another form acknowledging I was required to have proof of deposits of 65,000 baht a month into a Thai bank account in my name only or 800,000 baht held in deposit for at least 90 days prior to my application. Since I Only just receive the amount required as a pension but cannot bring all of my funds into Thailand as I need money in Australia each year when I return for a couple of months each year to visit my mother and children from a previous marriage. I ask if next year I could apply for a married to Thai spouse extension instead. I was told I could but would need to bring my wife in with me and have photos of us in front of the house showing the house number, a photo of us in the living room and bedroom in duplicate. I would also need to show monthly bank deposits of 40,000 baht or more each month or 400,000 baht held in deposit for 90 days.

I originally was on a marriage extension 9 years age when I used to go to the Bueng Khan office but then the areas change and I was on Nong Khai's side of the border ( just by 2 kms). I was then unable to go to Bueng Khan any longer and they insisted I attend the Nong Khai's branch. At Nong Khai because my pension was just over 800,000 baht a year they insisted I used a retirement extension as that could be processed on the day and nobody was require to travel to our house for an inspection. Even though I objected as exchange rates could put me just under the amount the would only process me on a retirement extension. I am an Australian citizen 58 years old married for 9 years to a Thai national in Thailand. I reside in our house that I had built for my wife in Ban Ton just outside of Pak Khat.

Hi, and thanks for your input.

I am in this boat now on a single aged pension, and was going to the Australian Embassy next week for 1- Consent to Marry; 2-Sign a "Stat - Dec" for proof of income. Getting officially married to a Thai lady soon, this would, drop my Thai IO monthly income demand from a Single person of THB 800,000 per annum, to THB 400,000 per annum. The latter would be covered by my Australian SINGLE pension, just as you say.

Lets just assume that for this post that the exchange rate is AUD $1:00 = THB 25 (It is approx anyhow at the moment). I realise we maybe on a different type of pension, but I'll use the present Australian aged pension amounts here to warn you of the financial downfall here:

The Single Pension = AUD $21,505 per annum (THB 537,625 per annum) which is enough to cover the THB 400,000 IO asks when your officially married to a Thai lady. The Marriage pension "Both Couple eligible Pension", is AUD $32,417. But if your wife to be is Thai, and/or under the aged pension age, Then CenterLink will give you the marriage pension, "Couple - One Eligible Partner Pension" which is 50% or halfy the Both Couple Eligible Pension (AUD $32,417) which is AUD $16,208 (THB 405,200) approx 25% drop in your present pension. It up to you ! These are the CenterLink amounts, and maybe you were aware of this 25% drop already.. if so sorry to waste your time.

That's harsh!

No problem for those using the 800K method as that's no change.

But for those on income method, they are going rogue as there really is no official policy requiring full IMPORT of all of those funds.

They wouldn't have thought of that. Just make a rule and never, ever consider what happens with B and C if you do A. Not the Thai way.

This is so interesting as when I applied for my last Visa in Khon Kaen, I brought a printout from BKK Bank showing monthly international transfers in excess of B100,000 per month.

My application was denied and was told I need an US Embassy proof of income statement. I said, you know i can enter any amount I want and the BKK statement is actual proof. They said they know but insisted on the Embassy statement.

Needless to say, I had to pay for a 90 day extension and fly to BKK get the Embassy letter and then pay the Visa renewal fee.

This country is definitely F'd Up

• Like 2

I went to Nong Khai yesterday 22/07/2015 with a stat dec from the Australian embassy. I too was told that next year not to bother going to get a stat Dec from the Embassy that I needed to show a Thai Bank statement letter from the bank and copies of my bank passbook showing monthly deposits of 65,000 baht or have 800,000 baht in as a deposit for 3ths prior to application. They said they no longer accept letters from the Embassies and that this is that last time I will be able to do a retirement extension using that method. They also advised an American citizen the same as we were discussing it while we were waiting. In addition I had to sign forms acknowledging the late penalties of reporting, overstaying and another form acknowledging I was required to have proof of deposits of 65,000 baht a month into a Thai bank account in my name only or 800,000 baht held in deposit for at least 90 days prior to my application. Since I Only just receive the amount required as a pension but cannot bring all of my funds into Thailand as I need money in Australia each year when I return for a couple of months each year to visit my mother and children from a previous marriage. I ask if next year I could apply for a married to Thai spouse extension instead. I was told I could but would need to bring my wife in with me and have photos of us in front of the house showing the house number, a photo of us in the living room and bedroom in duplicate. I would also need to show monthly bank deposits of 40,000 baht or more each month or 400,000 baht held in deposit for 90 days.

I originally was on a marriage extension 9 years age when I used to go to the Bueng Khan office but then the areas change and I was on Nong Khai's side of the border ( just by 2 kms). I was then unable to go to Bueng Khan any longer and they insisted I attend the Nong Khai's branch. At Nong Khai because my pension was just over 800,000 baht a year they insisted I used a retirement extension as that could be processed on the day and nobody was require to travel to our house for an inspection. Even though I objected as exchange rates could put me just under the amount the would only process me on a retirement extension. I am an Australian citizen 58 years old married for 9 years to a Thai national in Thailand. I reside in our house that I had built for my wife in Ban Ton just outside of Pak Khat.

What is the problem...just take the photos etc and have the 400,000 in the bank or the required monthly amounts.

What Aussie pension would you be on at 58?

Especially one that allows you to fly back home for a couple of months each year? And one that allows you to keep monies in Australia for that purpose?

Something isn't quite right with this old mate.

Same old same ! Seven years ago I decided to bring in 1 million baht to last me the year that is far more than the 65,000 baht per month required, the birdman at Samui immigration was not happy that I had only brought in money the one time he suggested to me that I should bring my money in 4 times a year at 250,000 baht a time which to anyone with a brain would have worked it out that ,that amount is the same as 1 million baht. I now bring my money in every two months I do wonder at times if these people want us to live in the Kingdom as it seems that each year the requirements keep changing !

This is so interesting as when I applied for my last Visa in Khon Kaen, I brought a printout from BKK Bank showing monthly international transfers in excess of B100,000 per month.

My application was denied and was told I need an US Embassy proof of income statement. I said, you know i can enter any amount I want and the BKK statement is actual proof. They said they know but insisted on the Embassy statement.

Needless to say, I had to pay for a 90 day extension and fly to BKK get the Embassy letter and then pay the Visa renewal fee.

This country is definitely F'd Up

That's the rule. Embassy letter. Bank statement - not the rule. I think some people try and confuse people on Thai Visa and you were apparently one who got confused. Immigration wants a letter from your embassy and not a bank statement. More talk about immigration wanting a bank statement on Thai Visa will only lead more people to be confused. If Thai immigration makes a change it will be in writing and we can all read about it on Thai Visa. Minor office differences are only attempts to create some more cash for some rogue employees.

Let me ask you. If you read a clear statement on Thai Visa that a letter from your embassy was required would you have ignored the advice and only showed immigration a bank statement?

Same old same ! Seven years ago I decided to bring in 1 million baht to last me the year that is far more than the 65,000 baht per month required, the birdman at Samui immigration was not happy that I had only brought in money the one time he suggested to me that I should bring my money in 4 times a year at 250,000 baht a time which to anyone with a brain would have worked it out that ,that amount is the same as 1 million baht. I now bring my money in every two months I do wonder at times if these people want us to live in the Kingdom as it seems that each year the requirements keep changing !

Did he deny your retirement extension because you brought it in at one time?