Surprise! New Thailand booze ban now in effect

Jonathan Fairfield

You have to wonder how accurate the Coconuts report is, if as per the report it will affect every outlet that sells alcohol. As previously stated, not simply bars, BUT, all sales outlets (supermarkets,convenience stores, corner stores, etc). What the articles doesn't clarify if it's a 24/07 ban or specific times?

This was all reported on front page of Bangkok Post today. Yes according to the new law all of Walking st, apart from clubs up near Bali Hai, Soi 13/3, 13/4 and bars along Pattaya Tai, Soi 15 and Soi 14 will have to close in Pattaya. Either someone is going to lose Face in a huge way or this is the start of a long term plan to totally take over and remove any interference from the rest of the World. Thailand "a closed shop"

If this is true, and the government offices like police or other part, is able to control this, this will damage a lot of business.

Just where i live on 1 road we have 2 schools, and that will close Big c, 3 local sales where people buy to stores and resturants and a big macro. I don't believe they are going to do this in a long term. This will kill so many

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In any town, 300 meters within a school or dormitory is just about everywhere. If they couldn't manage to enforce a law in which kids were not allowed to buy alcohol, I don't see how they will be able to handle banning everyone from doing so. Doesn't make any sense and to add to that they are already naming all these places that will get exceptions, then there is this sort of double law, the one coming in a month and this sort of announcement. There will likely be some kin dof contradiction between the two laws. So what is the point of making the whole outlandish decree? To stir the shit, to make shrill noises and beat one's chest in hope that it sufficiently convinces everyone that you are the man, and then in a year or two it is completely forgotten about. It is not done to try and actually solve any problem.

It is really business as usual, that kind of tactic of creating unreasonable insane rules in the workplace, family etc is all about creating confusion which then create opportunities for authorities, the police and I'm sure others, giving them a reason to collect fines or bribes or people they don't like and put them out of the picture and then second creating an atmosphere of uncertainty and confusion that perhaps maybe you could be fined or imprisoned for anything at anytime for breathing wrong for being too outspoken on facebook or what have you. It is not about getting kids to stop drinking themselves to death because they see they haven't got an ice cube chance in hell.

It is like the law for foreigners in the country who are here without a work permit. It is illegal for them to do anything that requires any degree of exertion whether mental or physical. So according to the English translation of the law, technically, you may come here and only lie prone flat on your back without speaking or thinking or dreaming and must have the assistance of local to even turn over on your side or technically you are breaking the law. It's like, well, come on you know what we mean and of course we are reasonable people who wouldn't deport and fine you for turning over in your sleep. But the very existence of such ridiculously open ended laws and the ambiguous wording and contradictory nature of the laws suggest that yes in fact we are dealing with the kind of people who see it as natural to bust people for breathing without assistance of a respirator.

You really have to wonder how people are going to react if they start getting serious about enforcing this. Thai people like to drink, they are going to make a lot of people upset if this is serious. I am just sayin'...good luck to all and happy drinking however you have to do it, it is your right if you are an adult to drink responsibly. This is some serious nonsense.

Do you have currently hold a license to sell alcohol ?

Yes I do!! For 5 years now!!!!!!!!

Well this is concerning, I wonder if they will actually follow through with it especially as you have a license.

I own a little licensed restaurant but it's nowhere near any schools.

So when will we get something definitive? I'd like to plan an evening out with the wife which includes a couple of drinks with dinner and I don't want to waste my time on restaurants unable to serve alcohol.

I remember a few years back they introduced a similar law. We went out to eat, oredered all the food and decided to have a glass of beer with the food. "Sorry we are too close to the university".

I just got up and walked out ... much to my girlfriend's disgust.

Seriously. though , it is nice to know that they can't serve drinks, before we order the food.

Maybe a good idea to have big signs in the door or windows. "Sorry. No alcohol here!". Similar to the ones that say "We sell cigarettes" (or have they disappeared?)

Hmm.. Let's see.. Sales down.. Less consumption Less demand = lower prices. A commodity just like crude. Booze Sale.

How long have you been in Thailand? When sales are down they put prices UP to make up for the shortfall. No-one else would do this, but Thailand knows best.

So Mr Happiness and friends pass another law..... how about enforcing the drinking age? this is tacit admission they can't enforce the laws they already have. I know it would require cops to leave their safe haven stations more often than stopping by once a week for the envelope.

I can't wait to read the comments of all the sexpats freaking out about this. I doubt this will end your world pervies !

Statements such as this serve no purpose, except perhaps, to inflate the self-righteous ego of some.

Edited by Benmart

In any town, 300 meters within a school or dormitory is just about everywhere. If they couldn't manage to enforce a law in which kids were not allowed to buy alcohol, I don't see how they will be able to handle banning everyone from doing so. Doesn't make any sense and to add to that they are already naming all these places that will get exceptions, then there is this sort of double law, the one coming in a month and this sort of announcement. There will likely be some kin dof contradiction between the two laws. So what is the point of making the whole outlandish decree? To stir the shit, to make shrill noises and beat one's chest in hope that it sufficiently convinces everyone that you are the man, and then in a year or two it is completely forgotten about. It is not done to try and actually solve any problem.

It is really business as usual, that kind of tactic of creating unreasonable insane rules in the workplace, family etc is all about creating confusion which then create opportunities for authorities, the police and I'm sure others, giving them a reason to collect fines or bribes or people they don't like and put them out of the picture and then second creating an atmosphere of uncertainty and confusion that perhaps maybe you could be fined or imprisoned for anything at anytime for breathing wrong for being too outspoken on facebook or what have you. It is not about getting kids to stop drinking themselves to death because they see they haven't got an ice cube chance in hell.

It is like the law for foreigners in the country who are here without a work permit. It is illegal for them to do anything that requires any degree of exertion whether mental or physical. So according to the English translation of the law, technically, you may come here and only lie prone flat on your back without speaking or thinking or dreaming and must have the assistance of local to even turn over on your side or technically you are breaking the law. It's like, well, come on you know what we mean and of course we are reasonable people who wouldn't deport and fine you for turning over in your sleep. But the very existence of such ridiculously open ended laws and the ambiguous wording and contradictory nature of the laws suggest that yes in fact we are dealing with the kind of people who see it as natural to bust people for breathing without assistance of a respirator.

You really have to wonder how people are going to react if they start getting serious about enforcing this. Thai people like to drink, they are going to make a lot of people upset if this is serious. I am just sayin'...good luck to all and happy drinking however you have to do it, it is your right if you are an adult to drink responsibly. This is some serious nonsense.

I'm agree with you.

Think about all the small shop around the schools in the villages, there is selling alcohol to the locale Thais. Like you you. Who is going to enforce this. The local police officer. No i don't believe there are going to do this in long term

I would bet that if it is to be enforced at all it will be done by using a system of" regular informal contributions".

Whether the chap collecting wears a green shirt or a brown shirt, well that is another matter. Up here in the north I've heard it said that when it comes to controlling bars and collecting their informal taxes, green is the new brown.

A whole new income stream could be opening up.

"....green is the new brown."

So, the new acronym BIG (Boys In Green) would work well with BIG brother is...........etc?wink.png

Drinkers, smokers, or any drug addict should be re-located in a island so they can continue killing themselves freely.

It would be much simpler to relocate all the puritans as there's a lot less of them.

Also, I believe they did that once before about 400 years ago and it didn't turn out too great.

Drinkers, smokers, or any drug addict should be re-located in a island so they can continue killing themselves freely.

And who would look after you in your perfect little world? As for the "addicts", I think Greenland would suffice, eh?

I enjoy an occasional glass of beer or wine. I would hardly categorize myself as a":drinker". Nevertheless, I do find chain smokers difficult to be around. Don't know any true drug addicts.

Best island ever!

Can we also prohibit self-righteous moralizing assclowns from posting on the internet too? Nirvana.

It would be much simpler to relocate all the puritans as there's a lot less of them.

Also, I believe they did that once before about 400 years ago and it didn't turn out too great.

Now we have better means.

However, the fact that intoxicants are widely consumed in every country does not make it right, I hope you still have the sense of right and wrong in your system. I am not a puritan, puritan is a stupid word and offensive. I used to drink and smoke and do all that shit. I am talking now because I can see clearly. If you are intoxicated you are not you, you are the intoxicant, therefore you are just wasting your life. I will not reply further to this thread, adieu.

However, the fact that intoxicants are widely consumed in every country does not make it right, I hope you still have the sense of right and wrong in your system. I am not a puritan, puritan is a stupid word and offensive. I used to drink and smoke and do all that shit. I am talking now because I can see clearly. If you are intoxicated you are not you, you are the intoxicant, therefore you are just wasting your life. I will not reply further to this thread, adieu.

As along-time contributor to TVF, you should have more patience. There is a vast difference between having a social drink or two and being a hard case drinker/alcoholic. You've done that shit, as you say.... Oh why bother? He won't be back.

Sounds like a complete cockup and of course it will be milked and exaggerated by the foreign media. Result - even more damage to the tourist trade.

Yingluck destroyed the rice exports, now these guys are trying to keep the tourists away. So what's left to earn foreign currency? (apart from us).

I know this is of topic,but since TV have changed the format I do not know how to post a knew topic.Anyway my post would have been about my daughter reciting the 12 commandments..I object to it,likewise my wife,but the school have to adhere to the BS.My daughter is asked to recite the 12 commandments as her English is above average.

What are your thougts,no colour preferences,only free minds

As along-time contributor to TVF, you should have more patience. There is a vast difference between having a social drink or two and being a hard case drinker/alcoholic. You've done that shit, as you say.... Oh why bother? He won't be back.

It is just the voice of a reformed sinner. The type that "cleans up" their act and then goes on to figure that they can dictate how everyone should abide to the word of god as they see it. As you said there is a wide difference between someone that is consumed by their vice and one who sits down and has a glass of wine or two with dinner or a beer with friends. I grew up in a family which had a nominal french influence to it where if you want a drink it was not a forbidden fruit.... When you treat something like a forbidden fruit - you end up with a nation or a family of binge drinkers etc.

Can I serve alcohol in the Cocktail Mixing Class at my Bar Tending School?

Can I serve Beer in my Beer Pouring 101 class?

Can my 'students' drink beer as part of the "Beer Appreciation Class"?

Good oh. Make sure the door doesn't catch you on the way out!

clap2.gif In dire distress? Join AA Meetings daily.coffee1.gif

I went to an A A meeting once.

Bunch of pissheads, no way I would let them anywhere near my car!

Edited by JAG

But you don't usually see social drinkers get up in arms and threaten to leave the country because the drinking laws change a little.

In Thailand serious Buddhists, monks and parishioners alike used to be tolerant. They would do their own thing and the less devout would do theirs. At some point however they figured it was a merit making exercise to prohibit alcohol sales and secured alcohol tax increases to fund them directly. Now they are powerful to ignore. This law is the result.

Edited by BudRight