Converting from bank balance to monthly income for visa extensions

This is a question for those in a similar situation or those "in the know" like Ubonjoe.

I am not looking for opinions, speculation or debates, thank you.

I have been here on Non O ( Married to Thai) visa extensions for years.

In the past, I have always kept the minimum balance in the bank to qualify for my extensions.

Often, I have been frustrated when I wanted to use that money for a large purchase, but did not for fear of not being to get the balance up again in time for the next extension.

I have recently started collecting monthly benefits from my U.S. Social Security claim that are more than enough to qualify for the monthly income requirement.

I want to start using the monthly deposits as proof of income so I can free up the money I have been keeping in the bank until now.

Here is my question:

Social Security required me to open three different accounts for direct deposit of the funds.

One for myself, one for my wife who lived in the U.S. for 6 years, and one for my 7 year old daughter who was born in the U.S.

If requested, can I provide records for all three accounts as proof of monthly income when applying for my next extension,

or must I transfer the money from my wife and daughter's accounts into one that is only in my name?

All of the money is from my S.S. claim, but deposited into three separate accounts.

Obviously, life would be easier if I did not need to move money monthly.

Thank in advance for any legitimate answers you may have.

Unless you are doing your extensions in Nong Khai, you do not need evidence of money being deposited into your account.

You need the letter from the US consulate. Very seldom, an immigration officer asks for supporting documents for this income, so take the pension statement and a copy with you when you go for the application for extension but show it only if requested.

• Like 1

I get the income affidavit every year at the Embassy in Bangkok, no proof is required, it is a sworn notarized statement.

My funds are directly deposited in my personal account in Bangkok Bank, the only bank in Thailand that can receive the funds.

I take the yearly SSA statement, I think that it comes in December, and a copy of my bankbook showing the monthly deposits for proof if they ask. I'm on my 8th retirement extension after many marriage extensions and they have never asked for proof. I use Nakhon Sawan IO.

• Like 2

As said you need to do an income at embassy to prove your income. Info is here including a form you can fill out online along with info for making a mandatory appointment to get it. http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html#income_affidavit

Unless your wife and child are also receiving benefits I don't understand how they can force you to open 3 accounts.

Unless you are doing your extensions in Nong Khai, you do not need evidence of money being deposited into your account.

You need the letter from the US consulate. Very seldom, an immigration officer asks for supporting documents for this income, so take the pension statement and a copy with you when you go for the application for extension but show it only if requested.[

Kap Choeng immigration requires it.

Edited by ubonjoe
fixed broken quote

You need the letter from the US consulate. Very seldom, an immigration officer asks for supporting documents for this income, so take the pension statement and a copy with you when you go for the application for extension but show it only if requested.[

Kap Choeng immigration requires it.

Looking at past posts another guy says Kap Choeng requires a Thai partner (whatever partner means) for a retirement extension too. If it was me I would stay away from that office.

The Social Security benefit is the child's benefit not the parent's and it will disappear once the child reaches age 18, unless the child is disabled. Really, it shouldn't be counted as part of the parent's retirement income. The same logic applies to the wife's benefit -- it belongs to the wife and not the husband. If the marriage dissolves -- ie divorce or death, the husband wouldn't have that income any more.

The OP shouldn't be "counting" the income of these family members as "his" retirement income.

• Like 1

The Social Security benefit is the child's benefit not the parent's and it will disappear once the child reaches age 18, unless the child is disabled. Really, it shouldn't be counted as part of the parent's retirement income. The same logic applies to the wife's benefit -- it belongs to the wife and not the husband. If the marriage dissolves -- ie divorce or death, the husband wouldn't have that income any more.

The OP shouldn't be "counting" the income of these family members as "his" retirement income.

I do strongly disagree with your "reasoning". As long as wife and the children having a mouth to open, and a mouth to eat with,,, they cost money, and that money comes out of the pocket of this man. So of course it shall be included in the ekvation.

This is reality - rest is bull!!

Glegolo

• Like 1

Fortunately, for the retirement extension, if the applicant's own income does not amount to 65,000 Baht per month he can combine the income as per embassy letter with cash in the bank to arrive at an annual total of not less than 800,000 Baht.

I get the income affidavit every year at the Embassy in Bangkok, no proof is required, it is a sworn notarized statement.

My funds are directly deposited in my personal account in Bangkok Bank, the only bank in Thailand that can receive the funds.

I take the yearly SSA statement, I think that it comes in December, and a copy of my bankbook showing the monthly deposits for proof if they ask. I'm on my 8th retirement extension after many marriage extensions and they have never asked for proof. I use Nakhon Sawan IO.

My SS and pension are deposited in my bank in the US. Transfer what I need to Bangkok Bank in NY monthly or every few months.

Each year I get my SS statement and a letter from my pension provider and statement from my broker regarding distributions I have taken ... add them up and use that amount on the affidavit from the US embassy. I bring along the affidavit & the supporting documents to immigrations for my annual renewal.

I also get a letter from my Thai bank manager and photocopies from my bank book showing foreign originated deposits and regular withdrawals, just as further proof that I'm bringing the money into the country and using it.

Never had a problem.

• Like 1

I do strongly disagree with your "reasoning". As long as wife and the children having a mouth to open, and a mouth to eat with,,, they cost money, and that money comes out of the pocket of this man. So of course it shall be included in the ekvation.

This is reality - rest is bull!!

Glegolo

I would assume that in the rare cases where an immigration officer asks to see supporting documents for the income declared in the US embassy letter it would be up to the immigration officer whether or not to allow also the income of other family members if such other income has been included by the applicant in the declared amount. Has any member had this experience?

Fortunately, for the retirement extension, if the applicant's own income does not amount to 65,000 Baht per month he can combine the income as per embassy letter with cash in the bank to arrive at an annual total of not less than 800,000 Baht.

I thought the OP had indicated that he extends his stay based on marriage (to a Thai), not due to retirement. Isn't it only 400,000 Baht required per year when extending a stay based on marriage?

My SS and pension are deposited in my bank in the US. Transfer what I need to Bangkok Bank in NY monthly or every few months.

Each year I get my SS statement and a letter from my pension provider and statement from my broker regarding distributions I have taken ... add them up and use that amount on the affidavit from the US embassy. I bring along the affidavit & the supporting documents to immigrations for my annual renewal.

I also get a letter from my Thai bank manager and photocopies from my bank book showing foreign originated deposits and regular withdrawals, just as further proof that I'm bringing the money into the country and using it.

Never had a problem.

I would call what you give to immigration overkill. Just give them the income affidavit because that is all that needed. If they want more they will ask.

If they did ask all you would need is your bank book showing some money coming in. A letter from the bank would not be needed.

I thought the OP had indicated that he extends his stay based on marriage (to a Thai), not due to retirement. Isn't it only 400,000 Baht required per year when extending a stay based on marriage?

Yes, it's either Baht 400,000 in the bank OR Baht 40,000 a month for a marriage extension. One or the other.

I think the point he was making was that for a retirement extension you can use the bank balance or income or you can combine the two. For marriage extensions, combinations are not allowed.

Edited by Suradit69

As said you need to do an income at embassy to prove your income. Info is here including a form you can fill out online along with info for making a mandatory appointment to get it. http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html#income_affidavit

Unless your wife and child are also receiving benefits I don't understand how they can force you to open 3 accounts.

I do not understand either Joe, but i was told by my my S.S. claims worker that I must open three separate accounts.

I did question this and was told it is the only way it could be done!

I do have access to all of the accounts and all of the payments are from my claim. My wife and child have no claims.

But, my wife did work enough while living inthe U.S. that she can file a claim when she is old enough!

It is all good.

I just want to be sure I am prepared if by chance I am ever required to produce bank records.

Thanks again for your input.

Actually there is another bonus here.

If my daughter continues her education and goes to a university, she will collect until she is 24 years old if she does not marry first, even after my death.

O.K., thanks for the good input!

I know there is a slim chance I will be required to show bank records.

I have been here for a while and have never needed more then my Income Letter from A.C.S. at the U.S .Embassy.

But I also know that Immigration can be unpredictable and things can change.

I like to be prepared, I and plan ahead.

Like I mentioned, I just started my S.S. claim and was not aware that S.S. provides a yearly statement in December.

That alone should be very helpful.

Thanks again for your help.

You actually get 3 things from SSA each year:

1. A statement in December telling you what your new monthly benefit is for next year, last year 1.7% raise.

2. Your get a statement telling you what you were paid last year - tax purposes

3. In June you get a "Are you still alive" letter which you must return to them in 60 days or your payments will stop.

You're right. I got it mixed up with another topic that was about the retirement extension. No combination of income and money in the bank possible for the marriage extension.

Actually there is another bonus here.

If my daughter continues her education and goes to a university, she will collect until she is 24 years old if she does not marry first, even after my death.

OK, this is another component of the Social Security benefit that the OP is claiming as "his" that really isn't "his" from the standpoint of claiming income for the purposes of a marriage visa. You can't use your wife's income (nor your children's) as yours for the purpose of claiming income for the 40,000 baht/month requirement. If the OP never had children, he wouldn't be able to claim their income. If his wife had never lived in the U.S.,, she wouldn't be able to claim S.S. spouse benefits. It appears he is "gaming" the system to get himself above the 40,000 baht/month requirement and is risking being caught out on this.

And for those you thing all these benefits are "his" and not his families' -- well, these people would still be able to claim these benefit even if he were to disown or divorce them! In a sense they "earned" these benefits by providing family support to him all the years he was working in the U.S.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1