Fridge defrost question

cheeryble

I ordered a fridge yesterday.

The wife asked about it and said I was an eejut as I didn't get a defrost fridge and there is a parquet floor which doesn't like overflow.

I countered that it was a push button defrost.

My question is ....

You know the push button defrost fridges have an open water container whcih slots into the back.

1. Is this big enough to hold ALL the water from a defrost?

2. If so will the constant warm air flowing up behind the fridge dry out this water container so it doesn't need manually emptying?

Or is one supposed to pull the fridge out manually each time and empty the thing?

Basically I like the fridge I ordered but I don't want a parquet floor popping up if it gets wet. I would like to get this fridge if it can be left in situ.

Thanks

You have lost the battle, even if you do not know it. Right or wrong has no meaning if the wife says anything but positives.

As for drain capacity do not know that model but normally it is only a shelf inside (that can be drained but normally is not) and these will not hold all the meltdown and are hard to empty without spilling. That said a tray large enough to please under refrigerator could probably be found or fabricated to insure water not getting onto floor - but again if wife has made up her mind; good luck with that idea.rolleyes.gif

Actually Lopburi you have a not stupid idea.

A fabricated stainless tray under the whole damn fridge with felt underneath so the parquet doesn't get scratched if it gets slid out for cleaning.

How much for such a tray to be made?

Guess?

1000bt? 2000?

(It's a modest size fridge bit over 4feet tall about 2 ft by 2 foot base)

Edited by cheeryble

i have a panasonic about 5ft.with a ice compartment,i only use it for cold drinks and have to defrost it every week,the water container just about holds the amount of water,but beware,you have to be carfull lifting the container out otherwise you will spill some on the floor.so i empty it twice.

i dont use the auto defrost button,i just pull the plug out.

Really can not estimate cost but expect some shops might actually have - those that sell the plastic base type things perhaps. Expect to make a place that makes SS gutters would be a good place to ask. They have the material and experience welding and shaping it so should not cost too much.

Freezers are frost free not fridges. Most higher quality freezers are frost free now.

T.I.T. not the uk.i have a panasonic chest freezer last yrs.model NOT FROST FREE.

i like to knock them off for a day,gives the motor a rest.

Really can not estimate cost but expect some shops might actually have - those that sell the plastic base type things perhaps. Expect to make a place that makes SS gutters would be a good place to ask. They have the material and experience welding and shaping it so should not cost too much.

There are already aluminum and stainless trays that do just that. I would not have someone fabricate one. The fabricated ones will most likely leak or have sharp edges. An Industrial supply store might have what you are looking for. Or alternataively try Hardware House.

OP:

No, the container in back which collects the melted ice is not necessarily large enough to hold all of the melted ice, and it may well be necessary to empty the container more than once, sometimes repeatedly, depending on how much ice has built up between defrostings. This is a real pain in the patusky because it can take 24 hours to defrost a heavy buildup, and if you forget to empty the container before going to bed, you can wake up with a puddle of water on the kitchen floor. Another drawback to the model you are considering buying is that if you wait too long between defrostings, the freezer compartment door can't be closed properly making it prone to breaking (especially if its plastic), and if the door can't close properly, this will accelerate the ice buildup in the freezer compartment as well.

If I were you I would definitely get a self-defrosting model. If you don't, you and quite possibly your wife will be kicking yourself later.

Edited by Gecko123

It is not just the intended defrost - if you have a power outage it is going to do by itself and you may not be around to empty any containers. But small one door units I believe are all of this type (and already ordered) so a tray may be the only real protection now.

Actually Lopburi you have a not stupid idea.

A fabricated stainless tray under the whole damn fridge with felt underneath so the parquet doesn't get scratched if it gets slid out for cleaning.

How much for such a tray to be made?

Guess?

1000bt? 2000?

(It's a modest size fridge bit over 4feet tall about 2 ft by 2 foot base)

My mini-bar is bigger than that. laugh.png

ive found non frost free fridges a waste of money and a load of hassle, they frost up so fast its unbelievable

If you can find an auto defrost fridge up to 135 highx56 wide x 60 deep I'd be very happy......I can't.

Oh, it must not have the larger door to the main section below the ice box in the most ridiculously unergonomic set up known to man.

Thanks

A fabricated stainless tray under the whole damn fridge would on the long run corrode the bottom part of the fridge, wouldn't it?

Edit

Or the fridge should be elevated so that the bottom will not be immersed in water at any time.

Edited by ravip

With luck will never be wet - but much better water in the tray than the wood floor (and anything under it if upstairs). Have had such leakage from power outages in the past (actually someone thinking pulling the plug was saving electric during there vacation but not defrosting first).

Thanks for the input chaps...

The decision's been made, the fridge will be taken not changed.

My theory that the compressor warmth and warm air flow may dry out the water collector turned out to be correct.

Therefore as long as the ice is not allowed to get ridiculous there will be no problem.

That applies to power cuts too, not too much ice the water will just collect where it should.

The chap at Homepro actually said there was some sort of ice level indicator above which one should not go.

It ain't perfection and risk free, but there are an awful lot of these fridges around, and I dare says very few cause any damage unless the owner's an eejut.

Moral of the story: Don't be an eejut.

ps I think I won't bother with the tray but some easy-sliding pads on the four feet would be well worthwhile for checking things behind and cleaning without scraping the parquet.

Thanks again.

Edited by cheeryble

What make and model did you order?

I may be missing info from some earlier posts, but why in this day and age did you buy a reefer that needs manual defrosting?

One of ours does,, but it's a little, puny under-the-bar-model from Tobisha and it's no big deal to turn off the power to it, open the door and put a bath towel on the floor in front of the reefer on a warm day when some body will be around to empty the water tray under the puny freezer compartment several times. Fortunately, we just have to defrost this reefer every six weeks or so and just use it for beer, wine and soft drinks.

Another reason for this reefer is to have access to beverages during power outages without risking damage to food.

Edited by NancyL

What make and model did you order?

I may be missing info from some earlier posts, but why in this day and age did you buy a reefer that needs manual defrosting?

One of ours does,, but it's a little, puny under-the-bar-model from Tobisha and it's no big deal to turn off the power to it, open the door and put a bath towel on the floor in front of the reefer on a warm day when some body will be around to empty the water tray under the puny freezer compartment several times. Fortunately, we just have too defrost this reefer every six weeks or so and just use it for beer and wine.

Not quite sure if you got the idea Nancy.

It's a push button defrost.

The compressor turns off until defrosting is complete.

The water drains into removable container sort of deep tray thing behind.

In fact AS LONG AS THE ICE IS WITHIN REASONABLE LIMITS the collection tray will not overfill and IT DOESN:T NEED EMPTYING........the warmth from the compressor (now working again) evaporates the water away.

Not bad looking and has tempered glass shelves a bonus for an economy fridge.

post-120824-0-92597400-1438195575_thumb.

Edited by cheeryble

A frost free freezer can burn food that's in there too long. I don't mean burn as in heat but dehydrate the surface of stored foods. It's just as good at defrosting the surface of food as it is the freezer unless the food is sealed air tight. Even if it's air tight the defrost cycle can still thaw the surface. Then you get freeze dried surfaces and lots of frost inside the bag.

The high humidity in LOS makes frost a challenge as every time the door is opened humid air enters and the moisture freezes it.

Dunno what to suggest though...

Edited by NeverSure

That is why you have humidity sealed drawers in refrigerator for storage of vegetables and what you do not want to dry. For most things, especially in Thailand, it is more than nice to have a dry storage area, such as an automatic defrosting refrigerator. What do you not want is the moisture rot of a sealed high humidity non defrosting type.