Upgraded to Win 10 Today/29 July Without Issue

Pib

Today/29 July 15 is the day MS officially releases Win 10. About an hour ago I opened my Get Win 10 icon and noticed it now said my upgrade is available...see below.

post-55970-0-24186300-1438150129_thumb.j

A 12:32pm I started the upgrade in my home here in Bangkok by clicking the "OK, Let's Continue" icon shown above. I have a Lenovo Z510 laptop with i7 quad core CPU, Samsung 840EVO SSD, and 8GB of RAM running Win 8.1 Single Language (Eng). 24 minutes later at 12:56pm I was done. Here a rough overview of how the upgrade went.

12:32pm: Clicked the "Ok, Let's Continue" icom and it Started Configuring the Update

12:32pm: Started Copying Files/Upgrading Windows

12:42pm: Done copying files....25% done...computer reboots

12:43pm: 32% done...Installing features & Drivers

12:49pm: Reboot....75% Done

12:50pm: Configuring Settings

12:53pm:. I get "Hello There, Welcome Back" screen

12:54pm: I get a screen where you need to make some setup selections regarding Win 10...nothing hard

12:55pm: I then get "This Won't Take Long Long" screen where you need to make some selections regarding setting up apps...nothing hard.

12:56pm: I get a "Let's Start" screen closely followed by going into my Win 10 Desktop screen. I'm done.

Below is a snapshot of the upgrade screen you'll be looking at for more of the time during the upgrade and possibly praying the whole time that you don't get the Blue Screen of Death which I never got.

post-55970-0-58979800-1438150740_thumb.j

Now I need to do some tweaking of some settings, load Win 10 drivers specific to my laptop I downloaded from the Lenovo website this weekend to ensure I have the optimum drivers, and just play with Win 10 and my apps. Will do that later today and tonight.

I will have to say unless Win 10 melts my computer over the coming hours this is without a doubt the easiest Windows operating system upgrade I've done...like going from XP to Vista...Vista to Win 7...Win 7 to Win 8. Yeap, by far the easiest. Wishing all of you the same luck.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG...

After over 3 decades of having to update every few years and losing data and software in the process to a new system and new bugs, with countless sleepless nights, cups of coffee and days and weeks without a fully operating computer, at least this time we do not have to pay for the privilege. rolleyes.gif

Not forgetting if you are using a supported version of Windows the countless involuntary resets and update patches that cause your computer to hang... that herald a new version of windows, well it now explains why I have had at lest 5 in the last 3 weeks.

well...

say goodbye to your old software.....

and let us know how buggy it gets.

I am keeping a perfectly good copy of windows 7...for now.

Losing old software is my concern too. I have an old Photoshop (CS3) version and do not want to lose it. I have not seen a definitive list of which versions of any particular application will or will not work, so I don't see the point in being an early adopter of Windows 10. Let a few hundred million guinea pigs struggle with it for now. We will be able to make more educated choices in a few months.

I am keeping Win7. I am running win10 in a virtualbox. For those who have not tried it, it is easy and the net is full with useful tips. So far, I have seen no value in running Win10. Another example of giving the consumer something they dont need; in this case, for microsoft to set up a fairly enclosed but financially useful monopoly as Apple has done with their system and Apps.

just did the upgrade as well and spent the last 3 hours sorting through this giant. all default settings leave your privacy 100% behind. w10 and its apps wants access to everything on your computer: photos, documents, emails, microphone, camera - you name it. it also disabled my very good and reliable kaspersky virus protection and replaced it with a microsoft version.

other than that it looks not much different from w8.1 and some of the notiification windows actually remind of the good old xp!

strongly suggest, if you decide to install, go through it (action centre icon bottom right next to date / time, than click 'all settings') and look at EVERYTHING and change what you are uncomfortable with.

I would caution that if you are running any pirated MS software, such as office, etc., or even any other stuff such as adobe, that you may find your software disabled if the new software has a way to verify and check those things.

I would caution that if you are running any pirated MS software, such as office, etc., or even any other stuff such as adobe, that you may find your software disabled if the new software has a way to verify and check those things.

that already applied for w8, but w10 has taken it upon itself to disable perfectly legal and internationally recognised virus protection software without requesting my permission to do so.

well...

say goodbye to your old software.....

and let us know how buggy it gets.

I am keeping a perfectly good copy of windows 7...for now.

Wish I'd managed to get one instead of this rubbish win 8

They disabled my pirated Office software so I downloaded Libre Office for free. Have to say it's not quite as good as MS but legit and for free????

I am keeping Win7. I am running win10 in a virtualbox. For those who have not tried it, it is easy and the net is full with useful tips. So far, I have seen no value in running Win10. Another example of giving the consumer something they dont need; in this case, for microsoft to set up a fairly enclosed but financially useful monopoly as Apple has done with their system and Apps.

Should have gone to Spec Savers!

I've had a chance to spend more time with Win 10....all apps working....haven't found any issues yet. I notice a few folks talk about their antivirus software being disabled....I run Norton 360 and Win 10 didn't disable it....it's working as normal. I have noticed all my programs open faster and the computer boots faster. Now need to get use to Win 10 as I was using Win 8.1 on this computer and Win 7 on two others....the other two laptops are eight year old Toshiba models which the Get Win 10 app says is not compatible because of their video chips....that's OK, Win 7 is still getting support to early 2020....those two laptops will go to their graves with Win 7 installed.

have the app but no such download availiable as yet and is reserved and yes again in thailand.

What more could one ask for?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/765146-windows-10-technical-preview-online/page-13#entry9676055

You can just download, double click and run it - choose upgrade. No need for discs or sticks.

Do it before all America wakes up.

Edited by mahtin

OK, found my first issue after the upgrade...is problem is when using MS Outook 365/2003 or Outlook 2007. Outgoing email won't leave the outbox...you get an error when sending (i.e., I can not send email from Outlook)...incoming email via Outlook still works.

I then tried sending from MS Mail and the email goes out no problem.

Doing some googling I see email getting stuck in the Outlook outbox is not a new problem....been occurring for years. Now need to find a fix for this issue.

OK, found my first issue after the upgrade...is problem is when using MS Outook 365/2003 or Outlook 2007. Outgoing email won't leave the outbox...you get an error when sending (i.e., I can not send email from Outlook)...incoming email via Outlook still works.

Doing some googling I see email getting stuck in the Outlook outbox is not a new problem....been occurring for years. Now need to find a fix for this issue.

If not a IMAP account then it's likely an SMTP port/security-type issue, or a firewall software issue.

Just completed my upgrade too, really disappointed with the graphics driver, it does not let you use the Nvidia drivers, and the screen on my LCD is blurred, the "truetype" makes no difference.

I downloaded the latest Nvidia driver and the screen was perfect, 10 minutes later Win 10 kicked it out and reinstalled the Microsoft junk.

Now Photoshop will not run using the graphics card acceleration, Garmin Maps only open in 2D (Due to graphics card issues)

It has completely wiped all of my "Favourites" that were stored in IE, not impressed. Typical Microsoft, half baked again. Amazing how it can import all of the favourites from Google Chrome, but trashed all of the favourites I had in IE!

Apart from that it does not look too bad, take a while to get used to it.

A couple of gripes about the jet black task bar at the bottom of the display, cannot seem to find how to change the colour. The font shading on the desktop icons is also annoying.

The main gripe is the Nvidia drivers, the original MS fonts were completely blurred.

I can see a bit of a fight breaking out here with graphics drivers, MS are clearly incapable of getting the best performance, yet disable and hijack the OEM drivers.

It appears too that the CUDA Engine for Mercury Playback in Premiere Pro no longer works too! I think MS will be getting some hate mail on this alone.

Edited by menzies233

Thanks for the heads up chaps, it's nice to know what one can expect.

I gonna keep my legit Win7 64 bit for now on my desktop PC but perhaps my laptop that came with Win8 will be upgraded soon to 10 as I don't like Win8 and are running classic shell on it.

If not a IMAP account then it's likely an SMTP port/security-type issue, or a firewall software issue.

Yea, I'm not using IMAP but POP. When going into the Outlook setup where your enter your email accounts it will Send and Receive a message when pressing the Test Account icon. But when in Outlook using it normally, it just will not send. Strange it will Send the Test Account message in the account setup area, but will not send when using Outlook normally.

I also figured out IE11 is gone...replaced with Edge. I didn't know Edge would replace IE11. Chrome is my primary browser but I used IE11 as my secondary browser. When I tried to download/install IE11 the MS download site said Sorry, IE is not compatible with your operating system (ie.., Win 10).

Yea, I'm not using IMAP but POP. When going into the Outlook setup where your enter your email accounts it will Send and Receive a message when pressing the Test Account icon. But when in Outlook using it normally, it just will not send. Strange it will Send the Test Account message in the account setup area, but will not send when using Outlook normally.

I also figured out IE11 is gone...replaced with Edge. I didn't know Edge would replace IE11. Chrome is my primary browser but I used IE11 as my secondary browser. When I tried to download/install IE11 the MS download site said Sorry, IE is not compatible with your operating system (ie.., Win 10).

I'm running Outlook 2013 and don't see any problems.

And I had IE11 installed and it's still there and working, so I'm guessing somewhere you must be able to find a link for it.

Have you tried installing it in compatibility mode?

Here's a good article to read before you run to upgrade to Windows 10. Basically, it advises you to wait until June/July next year to let all the bugs get worked out.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2953307/microsoft-windows/windows-10-is-for-suckers.html

That bloke is a chump.

It's been released for ages and most of the bugs worked out.

The only real issue I'd be wary of is, as usual, application compatibility.

Not everyone uses the same apps (or combination of apps) on the same hardware.

But having said that I haven't found a single app that isn't working (upgraded 8.1 and apps to 10).

However, I'm trying to install from todays ISO and it won't let me keep my apps.

But then I noticed at the bottom that it's a language issue. I think I upgraded using English (UK) and the ISO I downloaded was English (US).

SO I'll give it another shot later.

Hit the 3 dots icon top right, in Edge, you get the option to open In IE.

Only a true geek or a fool would instal a new operating system on or very near its release date, more balanced minds will wait at least one year or more.

A fool and his money are soon parted. After a year it's 120 bucks.

Only a true geek or a fool would instal a new operating system on or very near its release date, more balanced minds will wait at least one year or more.

A fool and his money are soon parted. After a year it's 120 bucks.

How much is your time worth per hour: recovering files and reloading the OS and patching and responding to fraud threats, etc etc., mine's worth loads, even in retirement!