Upgraded to Win 10 Today/29 July Without Issue

Pib

Pib, it seems that problem is solved.

ANOTHER

Startup - pre W 10 - lightning - 10-15sec

W 10 - 40 sec

Even going into Gmail etc, speed has declined.

Possibly the fault of your computer's hardware manufacturer not having all the drivers ready for 10. Could also be a myriad of other things.

LOL> making excuses for Windows 10.

You hit the nail on the head "could be a myriad of other things". That's really a Windows 10 shortfall, for not allowing users to easily find and solve the problems. Troubleshooting "the myriad of other things" should be built into the system.

I'm guess a lot of users will be using the fast downgrade feature, which is available for 30 days only.

Downgrade is available forever but by default the Windows.old folder will be deleted after 30 days. There are workarounds for that though if necessary.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only a true geek or a fool would instal a new operating system on or very near its release date, more balanced minds will wait at least one year or more.

To be fair, it's the free offer that has people excited, so this is different than previous upgrades. I'm trying it on one of my computers. After about 2 weeks I wish I hadn't, and I'm getting ready to downgrade again. I only installed it on my entertainment computer - I wouldn't risk upgrading my work computer.

I upgraded a computer that had a recent clean install of Windows 7 which was working perfectly, so if an upgrade should be trouble free, this was the best chance. Windows 10 takes forever to boot up and be ready for use. Even after it has booted, I have to wait 5 minutes before some of my apps are ready to go. Every boot something different happens - weird sh*t. The event viewer shows a long line of critical events on every boot.

Read this article and head their advice:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2953307/microsoft-windows/windows-10-is-for-suckers.html

If you haven't done it already - don't!

Clean install, reinstall updated apps & drivers and all will be well.

Clean install what? I already stated that my Windows 7 was a clean install not long before I upgraded to Windows 10. ALL drivers were up to date.

I'm not bothered with testing Windows 10 and making excuses for it. I'll leave that up the Geeks and Crabdog, to fix the "myriad of other problems".

Edited by tropo

Only a true geek or a fool would instal a new operating system on or very near its release date, more balanced minds will wait at least one year or more.

To be fair, it's the free offer that has people excited, so this is different than previous upgrades. I'm trying it on one of my computers. After about 2 weeks I wish I hadn't, and I'm getting ready to downgrade again. I only installed it on my entertainment computer - I wouldn't risk upgrading my work computer.

I upgraded a computer that had a recent clean install of Windows 7 which was working perfectly, so if an upgrade should be trouble free, this was the best chance. Windows 10 takes forever to boot up and be ready for use. Even after it has booted, I have to wait 5 minutes before some of my apps are ready to go. Every boot something different happens - weird sh*t. The event viewer shows a long line of critical events on every boot.

Read this article and head their advice:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2953307/microsoft-windows/windows-10-is-for-suckers.html

If you haven't done it already - don't!

Clean install, reinstall updated apps & drivers and all will be well.

Clean install what? I already stated that my Windows 7 was a clean install not long before I upgraded to Windows 10. ALL drivers were up to date.

I'm not bothered with testing Windows 10 and making excuses for it. I'll leave that up the Geeks and Crabdog, to fix the "myriad of other problems".

Upgrading a clean install of Windows 7 is not the same as a clean install of Windows 10 though upgrading at least once is necessary to qualify for the free upgrade.

Maybe you have forgotten but Windows 7 in it's early days wasn't all plain sailing either. Nothing stands still. Not the OS nor the hardware or the applications and not the environment to which we are exposed.

If you clean install Windows 10, the chances are you won't need to do anything else to make your machine run perfectly. Worst case you will need to hunt down a driver or two.

ANOTHER

W 10 - 40 sec

Wouldn't begin to guess why your speed has slowed down....maybe due to some other program that starts up with Windows.

With my Lenovo Z510 laptop running Win 8.1 it would boot up to the Desktop screen in approx 12 - 15 seconds....same for Windows 10 although it seems to be closer to the 12 vs the 15 seconds.. However, occasionally with Win 8.1 and Win 10 it will take around 30 seconds to boot-up....maybe that's due to a Windows update (that I didn't even know occurred) which required some extra time to adjust settings/configuration.....maybe my Norton 360 did some housecleaning in the background before the last shutdown which caused a slower bootup that one time...I do

I just thought of one Windows settings that "could" cause your slower boot-up if my chance it's not set to the recommended setting. And that setting is "Turn On Fast Start-up" I just did some tests with the Turn on Fast Start-Up turned "off" and my laptop took 30-31 seconds to boot to the Desktop. With it turned on it booted in 14-15 seconds. I tried three boots each way and got aforementioned timings. So, at least on my computer, having the Fast Startt-Up turned on shortened the boot-up time by 50%...down to 15 seconds.

Fast Start-up should be turned on by default but here's how to check. Right click on the Windows icon in your lower left, select Control Panel, System & Security, Power Options, Choose What the Power Button Does, and under Shut-down Settings make sure the Turn on Fast Start-up (Recommended) box is checked (turned on). If it's not turned on, up at the top select "Change Settings That are Currently Unavailable" which will then allow you to activate the Turn on Fast Start-up selection. Click Save changes and restart you computer a few times to establish the fast start files and your Startup/bootup speed should improved.

If the Turn On Fast Startup was activated (which by default under Win 8.1 and Win 10 it is...but maybe the tech who installed Win 10 for you turned it off....who knows) then I expect it just some other programs in the background booting up with Windows which is slowing things down since you said you could achieve 15 second bootup times when running Win 8.1.

Upgrading a clean install of Windows 7 is not the same as a clean install of Windows 10 though upgrading at least once is necessary to qualify for the free upgrade.

Maybe you have forgotten but Windows 7 in it's early days wasn't all plain sailing either. Nothing stands still. Not the OS nor the hardware or the applications and not the environment to which we are exposed.

If you clean install Windows 10, the chances are you won't need to do anything else to make your machine run perfectly. Worst case you will need to hunt down a driver or two.

No, it's not the same, is it? I have always done clean installs of my previous operating systems.

The point is, if a person does an upgrade from an uncorrupted, cleanly installed, perfectly functioning Windows 7 and has problems, that's a pretty good sign the upgrade is a fail... and my system has a light load of installed programs too. Afterall, the upgrade route is the recommended method to follow.

They don't mention anything like: "it is quite likely you'll have problems with the upgrade, so be sure to do a clean install after you have completed the upgrade".

ANOTHER

W 10 - 40 sec

Wouldn't begin to guess why your speed has slowed down....maybe due to some other program that starts up with Windows.

With my Lenovo Z510 laptop running Win 8.1 it would boot up to the Desktop screen in approx 12 - 15 seconds....same for Windows 10 although it seems to be closer to the 12 vs the 15 seconds.. However, occasionally with Win 8.1 and Win 10 it will take around 30 seconds to boot-up....maybe that's due to a Windows update (that I didn't even know occurred) which required some extra time to adjust settings/configuration.....maybe my Norton 360 did some housecleaning in the background before the last shutdown which caused a slower bootup that one time...I do

I just thought of one Windows settings that "could" cause your slower boot-up if my chance it's not set to the recommended setting. And that setting is "Turn On Fast Start-up" I just did some tests with the Turn on Fast Start-Up turned "off" and my laptop took 30-31 seconds to boot to the Desktop. With it turned on it booted in 14-15 seconds. I tried three boots each way and got aforementioned timings. So, at least on my computer, having the Fast Startt-Up turned on shortened the boot-up time by 50%...down to 15 seconds.

Fast Start-up should be turned on by default but here's how to check. Right click on the Windows icon in your lower left, select Control Panel, System & Security, Power Options, Choose What the Power Button Does, and under Shut-down Settings make sure the Turn on Fast Start-up (Recommended) box is checked (turned on). If it's not turned on, up at the top select "Change Settings That are Currently Unavailable" which will then allow you to activate the Turn on Fast Start-up selection. Click Save changes and restart you computer a few times to establish the fast start files and your Startup/bootup speed should improved.

If the Turn On Fast Startup was activated (which by default under Win 8.1 and Win 10 it is...but maybe the tech who installed Win 10 for you turned it off....who knows) then I expect it just some other programs in the background booting up with Windows which is slowing things down since you said you could achieve 15 second bootup times when running Win 8.1.

Good call Pib. Could be the tech turned it off to enable USB boot and forgot to switch it back on.

I came across the "Turn On Fast Start" selection about a year ago when still running Win 8.1. On about every 10th or so shutdown my Lenovo Z510 laptop would not fully power off...the screen would go dark but the power button wouldn't turn off....basically the computer was not "fully" shutting down. I did some googling and found quite a few posts with folks having similar problems with their computers of various brands.

To fix the problem for many people (and me) was to deactivate/turn off "Turn on Fast Start" and then turn off your computer which would clear out the special Fast Start files that was basically causing the computer to hang-up when shutting down.

Well, once deactivating the Turn on Fast Start selection my computer would completely turn off every time. So, I then turned the Turn on Fast Start back on to see if the problem would reappear and it did not. Apparently in my case turning it off one time cleared out some corrupt fast startup files, reestablished new Fast Startup Files, and my computer has been happy every after in fully shutting down.

This "Turn on Fast Start" selection can also cause other issues for some people/completely unrelated to fully shutting down which was my problem. Yea, it's worth checking to see if it's turn on or off. And if turned on as Recommended in Windows, maybe just turn it off, reboot a few times, then turn it back on and reboot a few times to see if it helps with any weird problem you are having.

Also google the issue for more info on the various issues which can be caused by Turn on Fast Start selection, which as mentioned is the Recommended setting but still may not work for all....can cause issues for some.

No, it's not the same, is it? I have always done clean installs of my previous operating systems.

The point is, if a person does an upgrade from an uncorrupted, cleanly installed, perfectly functioning Windows 7 and has problems, that's a pretty good sign the upgrade is a fail... and my system has a light load of installed programs too. Afterall, the upgrade route is the recommended method to follow.

They don't mention anything like: "it is quite likely you'll have problems with the upgrade, so be sure to do a clean install after you have completed the upgrade".

No, that's true. But lots of things MS recommends aren't necessarily the best way to get the job done. Some of what they say (or often don't say) is ridiculous. But they're there to sell a product and make money.

I guess some will disagree but for me a generational upgrade is something to avoid whenever possible.

But that doesn't mean that Windows 10 isn't an advancement over previous versions.

Tonight - enough for me.

Did a restart - 42sec

Message -

Windows Security Center - TURN ON!

I have also emailed my new computer tech re slow start.

In summary, I haven't had this much fun in ages - being a novice.

I have installed this just to be on the safe side: http://thehackernews.com/2015/08/secure-install-windows-10.html?m=1

Nothing has exploded since so I think it's working OK for anyone who thinks the privacy settings are too intrusive, funny Microsoft releases a new foreign language translation app.... Considering that people are saying win 10 can spy on your conversations via microphone and Web cams etc, could they be collecting our data without knowledge... :)

The saga with Windows 10 continues...

Tried using system restore to restore back to last Thursday to see if my boot speed could be improved to what it was last week. It went through the normal restore process and at the end I got the error box stating that it didn't work and no files were changed. I've had this problem many times in the past with Windows 7, but was surprised to get it on my first restore attempt on Windows 10.

Strangely though, although I'm told nothing has been changed, my boot speed has improved a lot and the problems I was having yesterday disappeared.

Has anyone discovered how to increase the size of the taskbar fonts/icons which are minute?

Small taskbar icons is not normally enabled by default but I guess yours must have it enabled

Move the cursor to the taskbar

Right click, select properties

In the taskbar panel, uncheck "use small taskbar buttons"

OK

Tried using system restore to restore back to last Thursday to see if my boot speed could be improved to what it was last week. It went through the normal restore process and at the end I got the error box stating that it didn't work and no files were changed. I've had this problem many times in the past with Windows 7, but was surprised to get it on my first restore attempt on Windows 10.

Strangely though, although I'm told nothing has been changed, my boot speed has improved a lot and the problems I was having yesterday disappeared.

My speed only increased after going from win 8.1 to 10 , do you have an SSD in your computer ?

My speed only increased after going from win 8.1 to 10 , do you have an SSD in your computer ?

I'm comparing boot speed of Windows 7 to my new Windows 10 upgrade with the same hard drive - and it's a new hard drive (not SSD).

It is possible that 8.1 to 10 upgraders fare better than 7 to 10 upgraders. The age of the machine is most likely another important consideration.

Edited by tropo

Has anyone discovered how to increase the size of the taskbar fonts/icons which are minute?

Did you have "Use small taskbar buttons" enabled??

Right-Click taskbar, select Properties, look for the taskbar tab and clear checkbox selection "Use small taskbar buttons"

Also take a gander at these two articles: (note, there is a DISPLAY setting for adjusting Fonts and Custom Scaling that are available but not recommended)

How to Configure and Customize the Taskbar in Windows 10

HowToGeek.com | Chris Stobing | Published 08/18/15

HowTo-Connect.com | Raju Kumar | November 6, 2014

I'm comparing boot speed of Windows 7 to my new Windows 10 upgrade with the same hard drive - and it's a new hard drive (not SSD).

It is possible that 8.1 to 10 upgraders fare better than 7 to 10 upgraders. The age of the machine is most likely another important consideration.

Who knows, could also be about what kind of software you got installed. Many variables, I asked if you had an SSD as that does make a difference in speed in general. My machine is new maybe better driver support. Not sure but for me win 10 is working like a charm.

Right-Click taskbar, select Properties, look for the taskbar tab and clear checkbox selection "Use small taskbar buttons"

Also take a gander at these two articles: (note, there is a DISPLAY setting for adjusting Fonts and Custom Scaling that are available but not recommended)

How to Configure and Customize the Taskbar in Windows 10

HowToGeek.com | Chris Stobing | Published 08/18/15

HowTo-Connect.com | Raju Kumar | November 6, 2014

No, not enabled.

Seems it is a general issue:

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/10367-make-taskbar-icons-bigger.html

Who knows, could also be about what kind of software you got installed. Many variables, I asked if you had an SSD as that does make a difference in speed in general. My machine is new maybe better driver support. Not sure but for me win 10 is working like a charm.

It's not the software - I'm running a very lean system with little installed... which is the reason I decided to try it out.

I think you misunderstand the purpose of this discussion. Considering that many people are experiencing problems means there is a risk that the experience may not be pleasant. I'm sure many are not experiencing problems too.

There's also a big risk that older software that people like to use on older systems will not work. Support for older hardware could be a problem too.

The smart advice is to give Windows 10 some time to mature before jumping in.

This upgrade is unique in that they are offering it to all for free, which is enticing more people to jump in quickly.

No, not enabled.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/10367-make-taskbar-icons-bigger.html

What screen resolution are you running?

The 24 x 24 icons and popups look fine on my 1366 x 768 laptop display, but if you're running a hires display bemoth then I can see you'd have some issues.

Win10_taskbar_icons.png

Edited by RichCor

It's not the software - I'm running a very lean system with little installed... which is the reason I decided to try it out.

I think you misunderstand the purpose of this discussion. Considering that many people are experiencing problems means there is a risk that the experience may not be pleasant. I'm sure many are not experiencing problems too.

There's also a big risk that older software that people like to use on older systems will not work. Support for older hardware could be a problem too.

The smart advice is to give Windows 10 some time to mature before jumping in.

This upgrade is unique in that they are offering it to all for free, which is enticing more people to jump in quickly.

I understand, it just balancing it out.. as you said it goes well for many just some are having problems. If only problems are posted it looks like a complete disaster of an upgrade. Even my dad with a old computer has upgraded without problems.

Before I upgraded I called with the suppliers of my accounting software to see it would still work and was assured it would. I read about the bad things the good things and decided to give it a go.

If I had read only horror stories like yours I would not have. So I am here to balance it out because the chances that it goes well is bigger as that it goes wrong. Just helping people make their own choice.

I understand, it just balancing it out.. as you said it goes well for many just some are having problems. If only problems are posted it looks like a complete disaster of an upgrade. Even my dad with a old computer has upgraded without problems.

Before I upgraded I called with the suppliers of my accounting software to see it would still work and was assured it would. I read about the bad things the good things and decided to give it a go.

If I had read only horror stories like yours I would not have. So I am here to balance it out because the chances that it goes well is bigger as that it goes wrong. Just helping people make their own choice.

Calling them "horror stories" is a bit of a stretch. For me they are merely nuisance factors. Considering it's only on my entertainment computer, I'm not overly concerned. You're assuming that only some people are having problems - we can't make that assessment.

Of course people like you who have no problems at all (as yet) will come in here and make excuses for Microsoft... like suggesting that we need to upgrade to an SSD in order to facilitate fast boot times... or suggest that we are the ones with the problems due to our primitive hardware etc etc.

Microsoft are in a stellar position on this one. They are offering it for free, so no one can really complain... in the meantime, this rush to upgrade will help them sort out s quickly problem as the massive number of the first upgraders become the new lab rats.

The point should be - why the rush to upgrade? Why were you in such a hurry? The reason is obviously the free aspect and good marketing. It is hard to resist due to their update introducing persistent nag screens to the unsuspecting public.

It makes perfect sense to let the new OS mature and iron out the problems.

Calling them "horror stories" is a bit of a stretch. For me they are merely nuisance factors. Considering it's only on my entertainment computer, I'm not overly concerned. You're assuming that only some people are having problems - we can't make that assessment.

Of course people like you who have no problems at all (as yet) will come in here and make excuses for Microsoft... like suggesting that we need to upgrade to an SSD in order to facilitate fast boot times... or suggest that we are the ones with the problems due to our primitive hardware etc etc.

Microsoft are in a stellar position on this one. They are offering it for free, so no one can really complain... in the meantime, this rush to upgrade will help them sort out s quickly problem as the massive number of the first upgraders become the new lab rats.

The point should be - why the rush to upgrade? Why were you in such a hurry? The reason is obviously the free aspect and good marketing. It is hard to resist due to their update introducing persistent nag screens to the unsuspecting public.

You suggested primitive hardware, i merely suggested an ssd as that is in my honest opinion the best upgrade for an older PC if you don't already have one. I am amazed that my dad upgraded and that computer is quite old (did put in an SSD last year when i was in the Netherlands).

Reason I rushed it was that I heard the free upgrade was time limited (could be untrue). I like trying things out and most of the time they work. But then again I am not the average user.

You do realize that before this upgrade there were beta testers, so we are not the lab rats that were the people before us. But of course if you roll out to an even larger more diverse audience you get more problems. That is of course hardly surprising.

No, not enabled.

What screen resolution are you running?

The 24 x 24 icons and popups look fine on my 1366 x 768 laptop display, but if you're running a hires display bemoth then I can see you'd have some issues.

Win10_taskbar_icons.png

It's a 17" laptop display.

Furthermore, since installation my printer isn't now recognised. Using Word 2010 I tried printing but it wanted to save to some Microsoft printing device, which I don't posess, so I deleted all the other icons of printers that I don't have either, and left the one I do. But whilst Control Panel acknowledges it, the Print tab throws up "No Printer Installed". So then I try and install and get " Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable.."

I could scream.

Leaving tonight for UK for 3 weeks, (and not taking this laptop), I should have waited until I returned and enjoyed the frustration then.

You suggested primitive hardware, i merely suggested an ssd as that is in my honest opinion the best upgrade for an older PC if you don't already have one. I am amazed that my dad upgraded and that computer is quite old (did put in an SSD last year when i was in the Netherlands).

Reason I rushed it was that I heard the free upgrade was time limited (could be untrue). I like trying things out and most of the time they work. But then again I am not the average user.

You do realize that before this upgrade there were beta testers, so we are not the lab rats that were the people before us. But of course if you roll out to an even larger more diverse audience you get more problems. That is of course hardly surprising.

My hardware is not primitive. If a computer works well with Windows 7, it should also work as well or better with Windows 10, otherwise they shouldn't be offering it. People see the nag screen "get your free upgrade to Window 10". They don't see warnings about what could go wrong.

Yes, I'm well aware that they were beta testing Windows 10 for about a year. This is what they do with all their new operating systems. What I'm suggesting (and many others too) is that they have rushed the upgrade release, knowing that because it is free they are in a position to not be as prepared as they need to be for a paid upgrade, thereby having a huge body of lab rats... more than ever before.

Have you forgotten the failures already? Vista and 8.0? They really don't have a great track record, do they? I don't see any reason to have faith. We need to wait and see.

My hardware is not primitive. If a computer works well with Windows 7, it should also work as well or better with Windows 10, otherwise they shouldn't be offering it. People see the nag screen "get your free upgrade to Window 10". They don't see warnings about what could go wrong.

Yes, I'm well aware that they were beta testing Windows 10 for about a year. This is what they do with all their new operating systems. What I'm suggesting (and many others too) is that they have rushed the upgrade release, knowing that because it is free they are in a position to not be as prepared as they need to be for a paid upgrade, thereby having a huge body of lab rats... more than ever before.

Have you forgotten the failures already? Vista and 8.0? They really don't have a great track record, do they? I don't see any reason to have faith. We need to wait and see.

Some people have faith. I don't, but then I've been using computers since the late 70's.

Some people like to be pioneers, and get arrows in their backs.

post-35489-0-31028300-1440598144_thumb.j

There is no need to get W10 yet, unless you think it gives you some kind of kudos. I think it gives the opposite, maybe naïveté.

Oh dear. I've probably upset 50 posters on here. Ah well, why should I care - my computer's working just fine.

Some people have faith. I don't, but then I've been using computers since the late 70's.

Some people like to be pioneers, and get arrows in their backs.

attachicon.gifpioneer.jpg

There is no need to get W10 yet, unless you think it gives you some kind of kudos. I think it gives the opposite, maybe naïveté.

Oh dear. I've probably upset 50 posters on here. Ah well, why should I care - my computer's working just fine.

Something can be said for both sides, works great for me and saves me time in my work environment helps me do more work in less time. Wont be the same for everyone for others it gives trouble. We all judge the risks and make our own decision. So its good to hear both sides of the argument.