18 defence volunteers injured in attack by insurgents in Yala

webfact

18 defence volunteers injured in attack by insurgents
The Nation

Yala - More than 15 insurgents mounted an attack against a post of defence volunteers of Tambon Baroh in Yala district at 1:15 am Friday, injuring 18 volunteers.

Police said the insurgents attacked the post with Molotov cocktails and three M79 grenades.

The volunteers exchanged gunfire with the insurgents for about an hour before the attackers retreated.

Six of the volunteers were severely injured and sent to the Yala provincial hospital while the ten others were treated at the Yaha district hospital.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/18-defence-volunteers-injured-in-attack-by-insurge-30265604.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-31

I'll never understand why someone would volunteer for a posting in the deep South to get shot at and blown up. Brave men and women.

...then again, I'll never understand why the Thai Army lets volunteers do their job for them to get shot at and blown up.

...I may have answered my own question.

Look at the equipment and vehicles, or rather lack of, and you will see the priority any of the security forces in the south are afforded.

The fact that they were under attack for a full hour implies an appalling lack of back-up.

18 volunteers wounded in an attack by suspected militants

31-7-2558-9-46-50-wpcf_728x408.jpg

YALA: -- Eighteen defence volunteers were wounded, six of them seriously, after they came under heavy attack by suspected militants in Yala’s Yaha district early Friday morning.

At least 10 suspected militants stormed the volunteers’ outpost in Village Eight of Tambon Baroh at about 1 am with automatic gunfire and M79 grenades prompting the 20 volunteers in the outpost to fight back.

The fierce firefight lasted about 30 minutes before the suspects militants pulled back.

Police reinforcement was not rushed to the scene during the clash for fear that it might come under ambush. They waited until dawn to arrive at the scene and found the road leading to the village blocked with a fallen tree.

Many spent bullet shells from AK47 rifles were found scattering around the outpost. It was reported that three M79 grenades were fired at the volunteers during the fierce firefight.

All the wounded were later sent to Somdej Phra Yupparaj hospital for treatment but six of them who were seriously injured were sent to Yala provincial hospital.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/18-volunteers-wounded-in-an-attack-by-suspected-militants

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-31

I'll never understand why someone would volunteer for a posting in the deep South to get shot at and blown up. Brave men and women.

...then again, I'll never understand why the Thai Army lets volunteers do their job for them to get shot at and blown up.

Many Many Thai police and Military go AWHOL before taking a southern Thai, Post....... Thais are cowards who only fight in odds like 20 to 1. Then they are brave and fearless.

Many Many Thai police and Military go AWHOL before taking a southern Thai, Post....... Thais are cowards who only fight in odds like 20 to 1. Then they are brave and fearless.

But you have to credit to the volunteers. They stay and fight...and they may not even be getting paid, or provided with quality munitions.

Maybe they have more to fight for...like their community and homeland...

The Thai Army are too busy taking beach chairs from tourists, or arresting students, or supervising the police to care about the deep South.

From time to time the Government pay some lip service to "solving the problems"....but they really are clueless and cowards.

But in the meantime, lets buy the police new handguns and new submarines.

If the attack started at 0100 and the police waited until dawn??? , the decision was made to not even attempt reinforcement as a ambush was feared thus they waited until dawn (0600???) before even arriving at the scene. The commander of this bunch of slackers should be dismissed from the force with aii benfits, pension, medical, etc denied. And his boss should be slapped with a loss of position,rank and pay for a few months.

Rotten from top down including the core, rather doubtful they could put together a ''company'' of brave dedicated men out of the entire force. I am surprised they can even find qualified personel brave enough to direct traffic on a 1 way street, at a 4 way stop intersection

Edited by slapout