Vocabulary chart teaches children that dark skin is 'ugly'

webfact

We try again, Nothing wrong with the chart,as far as Thaiand is concerned. Its in the culture,and there is nothing one can do about it. It may upset people from a PC country.Remember

PC has ruined most peoples lives,and this is also one of the main reasons we all love to live in Thailand. The thought of having to live back in the UK makes me shudder.

If the chart is doing the job,then cool. Their country their customs their cultur. I am pleased to be able to live here.

Here we go again. It is not teaching vocabulary. It is not the appropriate way to teach adjectives such as this.

For teaching racist and/or bigoted notions it is perfect.

Again, being against racism and prejudicial thinking based on colour is not PC, its just the right thing to do.

PC hasn't ruined any lives, pure nonsense. It has made prejudice, bigotry, discrimination based on faith/gender/life style choices socially unacceptable.

I'm fine with that.

scobalob
@)?-

I thought so, you are too young to remember Bill and Ben the flower pot men, in those days you could walk around London and hear English being spoken,the drug trade,stabbings and shooting crimes happened abroad and the government handouts were so small that the hoard of the great unwashed remained were they were.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I'm plenty old enough. I just fail to see its relevance to this story.

PC and bleeding hearts brought the UK and all the other European countries to where we are now, Thailand is having none of it, they tell it as they see it, equality and PC is not for them,it's the way they want it, it's their country. They are quite balanced though, they teach that blacks and farang are ugly and undesirable, does that bother me ? no, because on personal one to one encounters they don't mean it, at least not for farang with money.

No I'm plenty old enough. I just fail to see its relevance to this story.

PC and bleeding hearts brought the UK and all the other European countries to where we are now, Thailand is having none of it, they tell it as they see it, equality and PC is not for them,it's the way they want it, it's their country. They are quite balanced though, they teach that blacks and farang are ugly and undesirable, does that bother me ? no, because on personal one to one encounters they don't mean it, at least not for farang with money.

Being opposed to bigotry and racism isn't PC.

It's the right thing to do.

As for the rest of your PC nonsense rant……..dear me.

Edited by Bluespunk

This chart came from the same educators who authorized a display that included Hitler among superheroes. Thai educators are hopeless.

I had to stop a teacher mid flow last week. I don't speak Thai but she was saying Christopher Columbus and American superstar in the same sentence so I knew something was up. Turned out she thought he was a movie star!

Chris Columbus is an super-star American Movie Director.

Year Title Director Producer Writer Actor

1984 Reckless

Gremlins

1985 The Goonies

Young Sherlock Holmes

1987 Adventures in Babysitting

1988 Heartbreak Hotel

1989 Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland

1990 Home Alone

1991 Only the Lonely

1992 Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

Man in Toy Store

1993 Mrs. Doubtfire

1995 Nine Months

1996 Jingle All the Way

1998 Stepmom

1999 Bicentennial Man

2001 Monkeybone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

2002 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

2004 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Christmas with the Kranks

2005 Fantastic Four

Rent

Angry Man in Car (uncredited)

2006 Night at the Museum

2007 Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

2009 Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian

I Love You, Beth Cooper

2010 Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief

2011 The Help

2012 Applebaum

2013 Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters

2014 Little Accidents

Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb

2015 Mediterrane

Pixels

2016 Christ the Lord

Edited by animatic

Answer to Soalb, Yes 100% true, We could even leave our house unlocked, At 8 years old visit the Saturday morning Movies without any problems etc etc at the age of 14 go to london

West end for the day. Also go the battersea funfair for the day with friends Safe good old days

This chart came from the same educators who authorized a display that included Hitler among superheroes. Thai educators are hopeless.

I had to stop a teacher mid flow last week. I don't speak Thai but she was saying Christopher Columbus and American superstar in the same sentence so I knew something was up. Turned out she thought he was a movie star!

Chris Columbus is an super-star American Movie Director.

Year Title Director Producer Writer Actor

1984 Reckless

Gremlins

1985 The Goonies

Young Sherlock Holmes

1987 Adventures in Babysitting

1988 Heartbreak Hotel

1989 Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland

1990 Home Alone

1991 Only the Lonely

1992 Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

Man in Toy Store

1993 Mrs. Doubtfire

1995 Nine Months

1996 Jingle All the Way

1998 Stepmom

1999 Bicentennial Man

2001 Monkeybone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

2002 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

2004 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Christmas with the Kranks

2005 Fantastic Four

Rent

Angry Man in Car (uncredited)

2006 Night at the Museum

2007 Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

2009 Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian

I Love You, Beth Cooper

2010 Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief

2011 The Help

2012 Applebaum

2013 Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters

2014 Little Accidents

Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb

2015 Mediterrane

Pixels

2016 Christ the Lord

Yeah, we've been through this, it was no doubt a genuine mix up and I missed that as I was ignorant of this directors name. Regardless, she was attempting to translate what I had already said about America and I had not mentioned any movie directors, just Washington DC, the Grand Canyon, Columbus and a few other very well known things.

Let's see, if you can figure it out for yourself and why one depiction is racist and the other is not!?

...hmmm...huh...got it already?

Uhm, witches and 3 eyed monsters are fictional? Black people aren't?

Yeah, got it when I wrote it.

Of course YOU got it!

Some other numpties haven't!

Answer to Soalb, Yes 100% true, We could even leave our house unlocked, At 8 years old visit the Saturday morning Movies without any problems etc etc at the age of 14 go to london

West end for the day. Also go the battersea funfair for the day with friends Safe good old days

Not sure about safe good old days, in the 60's kids were abused , parents never knew how serious it was because nobody understood or talked about it.

Not sure about safe good old days, in the 60's kids were abused , parents never knew how serious it was because nobody understood or talked about it.

And that's changed? Kids are no longer abused? Parents are now always involved and know where their kids are and what they're up to? The internet and social media aren't facilitating this? Human trafficking isn't the problem it always was - or worse? You're cherry-picking an issue, and I'm not sure it was even a good pick.

Sorry, this has gotten OT, but I'm inclined to agree with green job, and remember as a kid leaving the front door unlocked most of the time; same with the car, windows maybe even rolled down if hot; neighborhood crime practically unheard of in the suburbs; airline hijacking (and passenger security inspections) hadn't started yet; and could walk just about anywhere downtown I wouldn't dream of wandering through nowadays.

'Not saying there weren't social issues. But day-to-day public safety wasn't really one of them.

And that's changed? Kids are no longer abused? Parents are now always involved and know where their kids are and what they're up to? The internet and social media aren't facilitating this? Human trafficking isn't the problem it always was - or worse? You're cherry-picking an issue, and I'm not sure it was even a good pick.

Sorry, this has gotten OT, but I'm inclined to agree with green job, and remember as a kid leaving the front door unlocked most of the time; same with the car, windows maybe even rolled down if hot; neighborhood crime practically unheard of in the suburbs; airline hijacking (and passenger security inspections) hadn't started yet; and could walk just about anywhere downtown I wouldn't dream of wandering through nowadays.

'Not saying there weren't social issues. But day-to-day public safety wasn't really one of them.

We live in a society where fear and political correctness rule almost all used in an effort to dupe and control the population. Not to get way off topic here but even taking pedifiles ... everyone believes they are the worst re-offenders of any class of criminals when in fact they are one of the lowest. Yea, I don't think anyone is going to cure their feelings of attraction but doesn't mean they are more prone to re-offending than rapists, murderers, armed robbers and so on because they all re-offend at a greater rate. However, politicians need causes to show they are tough and nobody is going to defend a child molester. No different than in the USA now making a big issue each time an illegal alien doesn't something horrible, like murder, all designed to create fear and use this fear to implement policy and show strength. The political correctness has got no better and to the point where you can't use a black person to represent ugly ... lets face it, there would be no issue if they took the white girl or asian boy (since this is an asian country) and made them the one with a self mutilated face and inherently ugly facial proportions. While seeing ugly is generally a gut feeling, the over analyzing is all programmed behavior. None of us know the thought, or likely lack of, that went into this vocabulary learning tool but if it was simply somebody flipping through clip art grabbing some faces to show examples of the words then it is NOT racists but simply not thinking too carefully at how it may be interpreted or taking that extra western learned stepped that despite finding an ugly face to use, better check for another if that one is of a black person and you are not also using a black person show pretty.

In short this is just nostalgic rubbish that ignores historical fact.

@green job:

Yes,and what has that to do with this? You cant change the cuture....... The UK would of been a better place if they had listend to Enoch Polwell MBE.

Of course. All that naval-gazing would have worked wonders for UK.

BTW, do you not think he made the famous 'rivers of blood' speech as a reaction to the changing culture.

• 7 months later...

bill and ben, with a little weed, no wonder i could not understand them.

PC world, bill and ben have done time for posession , little weed retired to a organic farm in wiltshire, after her rival cheap ice took over.

the crew of the black pig, captain pugwash, master bates and a youth called tom the cabin boy.

in the PC world, pugwash, is rumoured to be in pattaya after skipping bail on charges of aiding and abetting, master bates is in protective custody, tom got 15000 quid victims of crime payout.

the wife is happy with the colour chart, she scored 8 and i scored 12, all those aussie summers i should have carried a umbrella.

Edited by macksview

That whole master bates thing is a myth.

Though not as big a one as the "big bad scary PC rules the world" myth that so many myopic individuals see under every bed and behind every change in thinking and rational they can't cope with.

Edited by Bluespunk

That whole master bates thing is a myth.

Though not as big a one as the "big bad scary PC rules the world" myth that so many myopic individuals see under every bed and behind every change in thinking and rational they can't cope with.

oops, i thought master bates was kosher but seaman staines was navy/urban myth

i understand thai defamantion laws (not really) heartfelt apologies to master bates and his family.

Post removed.

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.