windows 10 just got it

johnmcc6

Just got windows 10 and so far so good. It keeps everything you have stored and works the same as your old 7 version. One bug is I use Firefox and it asks every time if it is my prefered browser and when I click yes it it comes back again and again asking the same question. No big deal but anoying. They obviously want me to use their new browder which I have not yet tested. There are several new features that look pretty interesting , don't look to hard to figure out and probably will be good to have once mastered. Anyway, just a first day at it . Nothing to worry about so far. They say it is free and will not charge later. It is not a trial offer. Up to you if you want it but again, so far so good.

"If the service is free, you are the product."

Windows 10 hoses up any piece of personal data it can gather and sells it to anyone who'll pay for it, just like Google, Facebook, "free apps" and all the other wonderful pieces of software. Of course I'm sure you've read the many, many pages of densely written legalese in the User Agreement and Privacy Policy that explains this.

I wonder how well it might install over the top of a version of Windows 7 or 8 that came pre-installed, but let's be truthful, an unlicensed copy. This is usually the case when one buys a computer here locally.

I think my Samsung Ativ 5 came with a legal Windows 8, and it has recently refused to boot at all.

Posts removed as per the following forum rules:

4) You will not not discuss methods of bypassing blocking of websites, or circumventing any censorship of the internet or other communications by lawful authorities.

25) No public discussion is allowed with regard to advertisements or sponsors, or methods of blocking advertisements.

Windows 10 hoses up any piece of personal data it can gather and sells it to anyone who'll pay for it, just like Google, Facebook, "free apps" and all the other wonderful pieces of software. Of course I'm sure you've read the many, many pages of densely written legalese in the User Agreement and Privacy Policy that explains this.

If you'd like to quote the part of the agreement that says that, I'm all ears.

If you'd like to quote the part of the agreement that says that, I'm all ears.

From Microsoft's Windows 10 Privacy Agreement:

"We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services."

I like this summary of Microsoft's claim that these difficult to read policy's and complicated opt outs are sufficient to protect privacy:

There is no world in which 45 pages of policy documents and opt-out settings split across 13 different Settings screens and an external website constitutes ‘real transparency’.” http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/31/windows-10-microsoft-faces-criticism-over-privacy-default-settings

You can learn more just by Googling the terms "windows 10" and "privacy". Of course Google will take note of who you are and what you're searching for. You didn't think all those services and apps really were free, did you?

I got W8 on my new Acer about 18mos ago, & really disliked it. Use 7 now.

But how is W10 better - or whatever MS say?

What are 'Charms' anyway....?

Windows 7 is no longer publicly supported by security updates.

Win10 has active security updates as one of its 'charms'.

Win10 isn't so much Win 8.1. So another 'charm'.

Win10 can almost run Android and iPhone apps.

...anywho, if you really wanted to know you could easily Google and read the thousand upon thousand of articles and blogs that have already been posted to the 'net on your question ...unless you're asking just to chat. If that's what you want I'm sure there are people here willing to be friendly. But you might have to buy them a drink first.

I don't think that is true about 7 security being discontinued, either....that was XP. BTW, my copy shop had "10" on their systems about three weeks ago...maybe it was "beta' or"beta pirate" but it wouldn't read my thumb drive.

January 14, 2020 is when extended support for Win 7 ends....you have 53 more months.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

XP Support ended in 2009, but extended support lasted until January 2014....which simply means you need the latest "Service Pack" to be covered in the extended period.

Here is clarification on the pricing. As long as you get it within the first year, it will be free forever, on that machine. A lot of confusion on this matter, and MS is getting blamed for failing to make it clear. http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/06/12/free-windows-10-is-a-noble-but-stupid-idea/

Also, machines with Win 7 Pro will continue to be shipped in the future....

Edited by bangmai

May I suggest you wait to install Windows 10 until it's been released for at least a few months: simply because that's how long it will take to become stabilized, for drivers for third-party hardware to get updated and debugged, etc. There's already a service pack 1 for Win 10 which will be offered in the next month or so. It will take even longer before you see major non-Microsoft apps taking direct advantage of Win 10's internal improvements.

Another example of early Win 10's "features" that will, probably, change: MS has made it much more difficult to install Mozilla's FireFox browser as the default browser. Here's Mozilla CEO Chris Beard on that:

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2015/07/30/an-open-letter-to-microsofts-ceo-dont-roll-back-the-clock-on-choice-and-control/

Even the essential tools for win software developers like me have real problems in their early release phase: the new Visual Studio 2015, for example, has a problem with compiling 64-bit applications that can render them corrupted ... for those of you techie enough: this can be fixed by editing the registry and disabling the RyuJit compiler (the newest compiler).

Re: data collection by Microsoft: this WinAero site (not a for-profit website) entry by Sergey Tkachenko will show you how to disable the more egregious features:

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-telemetry-and-data-collection-in-windows-10/

The WinAero blog is following every technical development with Win 10 closely, but, it is intended for programmers and power-users.

cheers, ~o:37;

We need a 'hate" button. I livfe in CM and subscribe to the computer forum. The OP here happened to post useful information and I applaud her for it. Moderators need to take a break. As for the other dolts who talk about pirating software, go to the computer forum.

I wonder how well it might install over the top of a version of Windows 7 or 8 that came pre-installed, but let's be truthful, an unlicensed copy. This is usually the case when one buys a computer here locally.

I think my Samsung Ativ 5 came with a legal Windows 8, and it has recently refused to boot at all.

At laptop I upgraded had an authenticed but non gen windows 7 ultimate and the upgrade went fine

They're is also a button to rollback if you don't like it for any reason but I think it's fine as it is now and it should only get better as they're are a lot of people working on the issues, 14 million. And counting already...

I got W8 on my new Acer about 18mos ago, & really disliked it. Use 7 now.

But how is W10 better - or whatever MS say?

What are 'Charms' anyway....?

Windows 7 is no longer publicly supported by security updates.

Win10 has active security updates as one of its 'charms'.

Win10 isn't so much Win 8.1. So another 'charm'.

Win10 can almost run Android and iPhone apps.

...anywho, if you really wanted to know you could easily Google and read the thousand upon thousand of articles and blogs that have already been posted to the 'net on your question ...unless you're asking just to chat. If that's what you want I'm sure there are people here willing to be friendly. But you might have to buy them a drink first.

Regarding Win 7, my understanding is Win 7 "mainstream support" ended 13 Jan 15 which means no improvements/tweaks to Win 7. However, security updates will continue 13 Jan 15 through 14 Jan 20. See below snapshot from MS website.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?sort=PNα=windows%207&Filter=FilterNO

post-55970-0-75890800-1438431427_thumb.j

I've spent the last few days screwing around with upgrading 2 laptops to W10.

I was never able to upgrade my main laptop running W7. I've given off after doing trying to install it twice. I'm a knowledgeable computer guy and I tried everything. Next step would be a clean install. I can't be bothered, enough time spent screwing around with it.

The other laptop updated to W10 from 8.1 okay but the computer was unusable, it was so slow. I finally determined it wanted my Microsoft login and password. (?) That took hours to resolve that that was the problem and then trying to figure out what those were.

I haven't had much time to work with W10 yet. It can only be better than 8.1 was. So, not a positive experience overall.

Why people dive in head first to upgrade to windows latest operating system beggars belief, they are always flawed. I've 2 laptops running windows 7 and neither will be upgraded till next year sometime, maybe. I do, on the other hand, have a linx tablet running windows 8 which I never use so I might try it out on that, or not, as the case may be.

I've spent the last few days screwing around with upgrading 2 laptops to W10.

I was never able to upgrade my main laptop running W7. I've given off after doing trying to install it twice. I'm a knowledgeable computer guy and I tried everything. Next step would be a clean install. I can't be bothered, enough time spent screwing around with it.

The other laptop updated to W10 from 8.1 okay but the computer was unusable, it was so slow. I finally determined it wanted my Microsoft login and password. (?) That took hours to resolve that that was the problem and then trying to figure out what those were.

I haven't had much time to work with W10 yet. It can only be better than 8.1 was. So, not a positive experience overall.

I could report the opposite

I just clicked the upgrade button and let it do it's thing

When it restarted an hour later i was looking at basically the same desktop

Every file and folder was where I left it and every programme just works as it did before and I don't really notice the difference

I can rollback if I want to but I may as well keep w10 if that's all I had to do to get a free copy for the life of this computer I'm happy

I run OSX, but have one windows 7 virtual machine which I will not upgrade until I have to, due to the privacy issues that I've read about on the internet.

I'm thinking now that I want to get up to speed with Linux, as I would not be surprised if Apple eventually goes the route of Microsoft and makes their system much more intrusive, like Windows 10.

“There is no world in which 45 pages of policy documents and opt-out settings split across 13 different Settings screens and an external website constitutes ‘real transparency,’”

http://www.rt.com/usa/311304-new-windows-privacy-issues/

Edited by mesquite

I also did a update to windows 10 all went well apart from my monitor which is a T232LH touch screen and the touch screen will not work. The device manager has cool touch driver error 18 I tried to re install but the same problem came up. The monitor worked perfect with windows 8.1. I have looked all over the net for help but so far no fix even Acer have no fix may have to go back to windows 8.1.

regards

scotsman

If someone is intrested in windows 10 and not running genuin windows os, Then i could help you.

I have 3 licenses window 7 professional what i have used to upgrade to win 10, but i also purchased 3 windows 8.1 upgrades (original ) so you could upgrade to 8.1 and install win10 professional . If you are intrested pm me

I made an ISO on a DVD and downloaded it today . everything perfect, printer, Firefox, Flight simulator ... only problem, the first time, I had no " start menu", so I looked the Internet, and there is a solution given by Microsoft , with PowerShell , problem resolved ! ( I had a genuine windows 7 before, it took 90 minutes )

I also did a update to windows 10 all went well apart from my monitor which is a T232LH touch screen and the touch screen will not work. The device manager has cool touch driver error 18 I tried to re install but the same problem came up. The monitor worked perfect with windows 8.1. I have looked all over the net for help but so far no fix even Acer have no fix may have to go back to windows 8.1.

regards

scotsman

I have fixed it by accident I went into device manager and clicked on the faulty yellow cool touch driver and clicked on update driver then clicked on browse my computer for device drivers then i clicked on let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. There was only 2 devices and one was Acer which i did not select I don't remember the second one as it did not have a makers name and the cool- touch driver has now gone but its working what a stroke of luck so now I will stay on the windows 10.

regards

Scotsman

My Win 10 Upgrade finally happened this morning (well, for 3 of the 4 machines that are ready). For some reason it took quite a bit longer to upgrade the (custom, high-end) desktop than it did for the (custom, high-end) laptop. Good thing because my off-the-shelf laptop is still trying to get it all done and it's been over 2 hours now.

It screwed up my display settings (initially) on the desktop and wouldn't let me adjust the resolution for some reason. I rebooted and everything was back to normal. All my icons and files were in their proper place. Just had to go down to the toolbar and "unpin" the junk they had set up there.

The biggest hiccup I've encountered (so far) is that I often have multiple windows open at the same time. Normally I would just alt-tab between the windows as required and when needed I could alt-tab to the desktop and open something else.

Can't do that (easily) anymore. The alt-tab will only tab between whatever windows you have open but will not let you select the desktop. I had to "create" a virtual desktop, then use the Windows key (win-tab) then select "Desktop #2" with the mouse. And to make matters more interesting, when I opened a new program it was only available in that new "virtual" window, requiring me to go through the "win-tab/click" procedure again to get to that. Not impressed.

When I first tired it I had a single window open (a game) that was in a "fixed window" (no option to minimize the window). I was stuck there as I couldn't "alt-tab" to the desktop.

I ended up having to google the problem on a different computer to find out about the "virtual desktop" thing and using the Windows key instead.

It'll take some frustration and getting used to but I expect that a few months from now I'll probably not mind it, as much, maybe.

OK, off to go see which programs no longer work and/or need updating. Then to do a save-point (seeing how I forgot to do one before starting the upgrade). At least the whole upgrade process seemed to go fairly well (no major errors or crashes). There's got to be a ton of bugs hiding somewhere though. It wouldn't be MS if there weren't !