Chinese, Russian tourists not ‘preferred’, says Phuket poll

Lite Beer

Chinese, Russian tourists not ‘preferred’, says Phuket poll

The Phuket News

1437981451_1-org.jpg

Despite being the largest tourism source market to Phuket for years, China scored only 2 per cent of all votes cast.

PHUKET: China has ranked among the least preferred source countries of tourists to Phuket, according to a Phuket News online poll.

Despite being the largest tourism source market to Phuket for years and despite the poll allowing respondents to choose up to three “preferred tourist” options, China scored only 2 per cent of all votes cast.

Tourists from Russia and Eastern Europe fared little better, garnering only 3pc of all votes cast in the poll, which ran for two weeks.

Worst preferred in the poll were tourists from India and the Middle East, which each scored only 1pc of votes cast, despite the Tourism Authority of Thailand targeting those source markets with campaigns and roadshows in recent years.

Even tourists from Asean nations took a hit in the “preference league”, with only 6pc of votes cast in favour of tourists from “Elsewhere in Asia (Malaysia, Korea, Japan, etc)”.

The top choice among respondents were tourists from “Scandinavia (Sweden, Norway, etc)”, with 24pc of all votes cast, followed by tourists from Western Europe (19%).

Australia placed third in the preference poll, scoring 17pc of votes, followed by the United Kingdom (14pc) and North America (12pc).

For the full poll results, click here.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/chinese-russian-tourists-not-preferred-says-phuket-poll-53379.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-08-01

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The top choice among respondents were tourists from “Scandinavia (Sweden, Norway, etc)”, with 24pc of all votes cast, followed by tourists from Western Europe (19%).

Australia placed third in the preference poll, scoring 17pc of votes, followed by the United Kingdom (14pc) and North America (12pc).

Farang missed, wow... Chokdee wai2.gif

No surprises . Manners go a long way.

wai2.gif

no surprise really, Indian tourists sitting in a bar - one coke 5 straws - one barfine 5 (deleted) I have seen the managers of many bars ask Indians to leave because they refuse to buy a drink

Talking to various bar/business owners in Pattaya and they've commented on how business has been down for the last few years despite the number of people on the street. However it's been noted that where once upon a time (when businesses where doing far better) most of those people seemed to be Euro/UK/American/Australian/Canadian, now it's predominately Indian/Chinese/Middle Eastern. Lots of bodies on planes, in hotels and on the street, but not spending anywhere near the same kind of cash.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same survey in Pattaya and ended up with the same results. I was going to say that "quantity" doesn't always better "quality" but then again, many of those "once upon a time" tourists weren't exactly very high quality themselves.

Interestingly, it appears from that article that 86% of the "preferred" tourists are from that "once upon a time" group. Not really a surprise though as the people in the "preferred" group are generally earning much more on average than the rest, and tend to spend a lot more as well. From a purely business point of view of course you'd prefer the customers that are freer with their cash.

wai2.gif

You mean money goes a long way . Thats why Scandinavia is on top of this poll .

I would imagien a Norwegian tourist are willing to spend at least 10 times more than an average Chinese tourist.

Presumably anyone who chose to take part in The Phuket News' online poll as per the link.

I wonder if they also ran this poll in their Russian edition of their newspaper.

Considering that the people who read The Phuket News are likely to be 'Western' expats and 'Western' tourists, the results of that poll are hardly surprising.

wai2.gif

no surprise really, Indian tourists sitting in a bar - one coke 5 straws - one barfine 5 (deleted) I have seen the managers of many bars ask Indians to leave because they refuse to buy a drink

I've seen them being refused entry.

Surely the UK is part of Western Europe?

We therefore rank no.1 with ease smile.png

These polls are a bit ill-conceived and badly conducted but they often seem to come up with the right conclusions.

Look who comes bottom and align this with some of the stories you here.

Surely the UK is part of Western Europe?

We therefore rank no.1 with ease smile.png

These polls are a bit ill-conceived and badly conducted but they often seem to come up with the right conclusions.

Look who comes bottom and align this with some of the stories you here.

Brits always refer to the continent as Europe as if the UK is somewhere else, part of the BS myth of '' our island way of life'' started by Churchill.

wai2.gif

The UK immigration should take note of how it's done

wai2.gif

Yes me too on several occasions

They are figures I find easy to believe, except for Japanese, and maybe Koreans too - I thought tourist establishments would love their spending habits (of the very few visitors that I've met that I'm making that assumption on).

Or do Japanese do the "straight from coach to hotel and follow the lady with the flag to direct you to photo op sites and then back to the coach" type thing?