shower

beau thai

Yep, that topic again. I have a new 6kw heater and it delivers hot enough water and enough flow for a shower but... I like a really strong shower.

The flow rate into the heater is 20 litres a minute but the flow out is only 7 litres a minute which is not enough for me. I guess the flow is heavily restrcted so the heater has time to deliver water at a higher temp. I have checked out the filters and 'adapted' the shower head to reduce restrictions there.

I am wondering if it is possible (and safe) to fit a small pump between the heater outlet and the shower head to solve this problem?

Anyone tried this or have any experience of a similar problem and solution?

Why don't you buy a hot water heater/storage tank? MIght be 10 gallons and over half hour will heat the water to 150* F. The tank is insulated and keeps hot about one day, depending. Of course ill advised to shower under the 150* water so cut that down with cold. The strength of the shower, flow rate, dependent on house water pressure. Sure, a small pump could force more water thru small pipes to increase strength.

I wonder why i so seldom, ever?, see here in CM the rooftop solar water panels so common in China. These heat the water by sunshine and circulate the water to a tank. Thru the course of a sunny day the water will get very hot.

The pump needs to go before the shower never after.

Obviously you have an electric shower and highly rated so you need to look at a constant pressure pump. The square hitachi /mitsu for example. A normal pump will give that sporadic pumping feel not conducive to a pleasant shower.

Those small storage tanks imo are expensive initially and thr smaller ones you can empty them with five minute shower....then the wife gets a cold shower!

For 6/7k better to get as you have a 5/6/7/8kw shower and forget the storage idea.

I use a gear driven, Delta, that uses the five that is delivered by the 4500w heater. It is use water-kinetic technology to make it feel like you are using about 7. They haven't quite caught on here, but B & B had one with an "ECO" sticker for about 1000 THB...a cylinder shape, and something tells me it is gear driven, too.

I use a gear driven, Delta, that uses the five that is delivered by the 4500w heater. It is use water-kinetic technology to make it feel like you are using about 7. They haven't quite caught on here, but B & B had one with an "ECO" sticker for about 1000 THB...a cylinder shape, and something tells me it is gear driven, too.

Thanks for that. And you installed it between the heater and the shower head right?

The "Delta" is the brand of showerhead...the gear assembly is contained within the showerhead. You could run a supplemental line of cold with a "T" fitting, but it would have to be of somewhat lower pressure than the HWH discharge or you would get a backflow into the HWH and it would cut off. Even if you gave my showerhead the full 20, it would still only use a maximum of 6...but it really gives a good shower. For many years, 2.5 gpm (approx 9.6 lpm) was standard in the US......but droughts, overbuilding, and lack of reservoirs have led to conserving. So with the waterkinetic technology, uyou are saving 40% water use, and also the electricity to heat it, and pump it to your unit.