“Bike for Mom” set to hit Guinness World Records, PRD chief says

Lite Beer

Well, sorry, I didn't know if that's OK with you

when we have bike-a-thons or whatever-a-thons, we do it to raise money for a good cause, you know, fight cancer, MS, etc...

For mother's day we phone home and send flowers...

It's to celebrate the Queens birthday. Participating in the event is intended as a public demonstration of loyalty to her.

yes i think we know what it's for dude

when we have bike-a-thons or whatever-a-thons, we do it to raise money for a good cause, you know, fight cancer, MS, etc...

It's to celebrate the Queens birthday. Participating in the event is intended as a public demonstration of loyalty to her.

yes i think we know what it's for dude

Some here obviously don't......dude.

Yes but I think the bicycle part may have some relevance... like promoting health and fitness, etc. So it's actually a threefold initiative, 1. demonstrate loyalty, 2 get fit, 3 sell lots of shirts, amulets and nodding dolls, (so the "organizers" get a tad richer, at the expense of the indoctrinated masses.) TIT

Yes but I think the bicycle part may have some relevance... like promoting health and fitness, etc. So it's actually a threefold initiative, 1. demonstrate loyalty, 2 get fit, 3 sell lots of shirts, amulets and nodding dolls, (so the "organizers" get a tad richer, at the expense of the indoctrinated masses.) TIT
Yes, there is a plan to try and get more people right across the social spectrum into cycling. Firstly for fitness and secondly to try to reduce the amount of car journeys in urban areas (at least that is the official line). Of course, until the government actually make it safer by relentlessly policing cycle lanes and engaging in the almost impossible task of educating drivers, and we know what little energy the police expend in upholding the law, it's going to remain a niche sport. From a personal survival point of view, my own experience of cycling in and around Bangkok is that it is much safer alone than in a group. At least you can concentrate 100% on yourself then. Three of my wife's employees are taking part in Bike For Mom so that's three at least in Bangkok for the record attempt :)

Where does one sign up for this? Went to the City Hall last month and the young kids there said all the registrations (= free t shirts?) were closed/full?

Will there be a lot of un-registered cyclists as well?

Here, I think.

https://www.bikeformom2015.com/

Yes, I went there last month, and for my province it says all full:

*** *** Sorry

Now the system has been registered participants

Since registrations are free and resources limited they cannot actually add more. They won't know how many actually participate. I was going to go along for ride anyway.

Where does one sign up for this? Went to the City Hall last month and the young kids there said all the registrations (= free t shirts?) were closed/full?

Will there be a lot of un-registered cyclists as well?

Here, I think.

https://www.bikeformom2015.com/

Yes, I went there last month, and for my province it says all full:

*** *** Sorry

Now the system has been registered participants

Since registrations are free and resources limited they cannot actually add more. They won't know how many actually participate. I was going to go along for ride anyway.

I do not reply on this forum normally but I feel I have to in this case, I went on a test bike ride for the 16th August Bike for Mom in the town of Loei yesterday, I was impressed by the organisation, policing, medics, water all provided free, backup in case you/ bike were unable to finish the course. No cars were allowed on the same road as the bikes. You could choose the distance ie 2k, 5k, 10k or 30k. You could register on the day, I presume that will be the case all over Thailand. The Thai people made me feel very welcome, which I expected, looking forward to the 16th.

I do not reply on this forum normally but I feel I have to in this case, I went on a test bike ride for the 16th August Bike for Mom in the town of Loei yesterday, I was impressed by the organisation, policing, medics, water all provided free, backup in case you/ bike were unable to finish the course. No cars were allowed on the same road as the bikes. You could choose the distance ie 2k, 5k, 10k or 30k. You could register on the day, I presume that will be the case all over Thailand. The Thai people made me feel very welcome, which I expected, looking forward to the 16th.

yea, yea, yea go for mom!

Thanks for the report. I am out bicycling here in Jomtien area several days per week , its a good way to stay fit. And I have also noticed more and more Thais are doing the same to get some exercise. Thais do not understand how foreigners can do walking in this heat which seems unormal to them, but biking is a lot easier .

I will join on the 16th if I can find them in my area.

don't know even one person taking part

not surprised you don't know even one person taking part

thanks I know 100s Thais and not one taking part but no doubt the few thousand who do will be blow into millions by your junta heroes

I will be in Dublin on 16 August, hoping to set my own "Guinness World Record" or, at least, a personal best.

Good luck to everyone taking part in the 'Bike for Mom" event. I hope you all complete the course safely. Please do not attempt to overtake the PM - there may be snipers overlooking the course.

Edited by chickenslegs