Heavy pay-outs for dead cyclists' families

webfact

Sorry for the cyclist but 1.2 million baht is but a pittance to a non-thai person. It would be laughed upon in the USA. It is not even enough to pay for the funeral and burial. My sympathies for the losses to those families which could have been avoided.

A funeral costs in excess of $34,000 in the USA. That's obscene!

Oh, you can get buried for way under $10K with nice casket, funeral ceremony, etc. Maybe thesetat2013 is taking some funeral for a rich person, golden casket, 10 foot tall tombstone, party afterwards, etc.,...I don't know.

My reading of this is that the 1.2 million will be split between 5 people. Three cyclists were killed and 2 were injured. It doesn't say how the money will be split, but surely it isn't enough to cover all necessary expenses.

That's my presumption also... but rather... 1.2 million spread among the 3 families of those who died.

The OP article, as usual, is hardly clear on that point. But I think it's pretty safe to assume it's 1.2 million total, not X 3.

So... 1.2 million is about $34,000 U.S., divided among 3 families, resulting in about $11,000 per family.

An amount so small in the case of a fatality, it's pitiful.

Hopefully the families didn't have to sign a legal release waiving their other legal rights in order to gain the insurance payout.

BTW, 1.2 million for three dead people is hardly a "heavy" payout, even for Thailand.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

My reading of this is that the 1.2 million will be split between 5 people. Three cyclists were killed and 2 were injured. It doesn't say how the money will be split, but surely it isn't enough to cover all necessary expenses.

Suspect not split. My 1st class policy shows for loss of life 1 million baht/person with maximum of 10 million baht total per incident.

Except Tywais, that's YOUR insurance policy, not the driver's in this case. And, the OP article doesn't say the result that you're suggesting.

Suspect not split. My 1st class policy shows for loss of life 1 million baht/person with maximum of 10 million baht total per incident.

Except Tywais, that's YOUR insurance policy, not the driver's in this case. And, the OP article doesn't say the result that you're suggesting.

We don't know what category insurance they had but it was a relative new car so will assume 1st class. 1st class, and I've had more than one company, is normally 1 million/death. The 200,000 is standard per death to a maximum 5 million baht for compulsory. In other words, the numbers line up exactly for 1.2 million per family. I suggest the article really isn't that clear in distribution and doesn't make sense to pay out to 3 families the policy for 1 death. Disregarding the 3rd party insurance, the compulsory specifically states 200,000 Baht per death, not per occurrence which is 5 million baht. I still believe it is 1.2 per family.

Am I alone in being surprised that the Insurance company paid any compensation at all?

Their customer, the driver, was drunk, and therefore breaking the law. I would have thought that this fact would have given the Insurance company a reason not to pay out anything on behalf of the driver.

I am not surprised at all many times insurances all over the world payout and then claim it back from their client. This way the victims don't have to wait real long for money and wont need to go to court. (no payouts of course to the insured and his damages just to others)

I would have thought this was normal practice all over the world, but I can't say that the payout is much. I wonder if they mean 1,2 million per person or for all 3.

Jeez guys, it was just an accident. Yes she had a little too much too drink.. how atypical do you suppose that is? And then there's cyclists on the main highway even before dawn, that's willingly taking a big risk. Not one that I would take.

Why am i not surprised that you defend drunk drivers, the same guy who posts where the alcohol checkpoints are in the Chiang Mai forum and how to avoid them (wonder why you would have to avoid those)

Life is cheap in Thailand. I remember when a section of the Skytrain structure gave way in front of the Emporium pancaking a taxi with the driver still in. it. The BMTA did not share in the blame..In the west everyone involved would have been liable.

Please tell me that happened during the construction of the Skytrain, which would have been in the late 90s for that section. I just drove through there last night and that thought scares me.

Jeez guys, it was just an accident. Yes she had a little too much too drink.. how atypical do you suppose that is? And then there's cyclists on the main highway even before dawn, that's willingly taking a big risk. Not one that I would take.

I wonder if you would take this attitude if it was 3 people from your family killed by this or any drunk driver.

@scorecard. Do you pay anymore than you're expected to pay when you are paying your yearly insurance policy or your car payment. Why should the insurance company pay anymore than what it stipulates in it's policy, they weren't driving the vehicle. Name one company that isn't accountable to it's shareholders.