Persistent cough!

Badrabbit

After being unwell for the last two weeks I am now left with a persistent cough, nothing is coming up just bouts of coughing, I'm taking Klacid 500 along with Cophartussin, I'm assuming it's Bronchitis, do I just put up with this or get different medication, getting me down!!

I'm pretty sure living on Phuket is not helping with the amount of traffic and vehicles belching out clouds of black smoke, air quality here is poor!!

Edited by Badrabbit

If you do a search ion this forum you will find many recent threads on this. There has been/is a virus going around which leaves many people with a chronic cough afterwards.

Klacid is an antibiotic (clarithryomycin). I don't know how long you have been on it but the usual treatment would be between 7 - 14 days (500 mg twice a day).

Cophartussin is not going to do much if anything. At night time take "Brown Mixture" which you can get at any 7-11, green box with a tiger on it. https://www.google.com/search?q=brown+mixture+thailand&tbm=isch&imgil=bw98Nqw8PZaDkM%253A%253B2o5rLeXwjQPYUM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.ethaicd.com%25252Fshow.php%25253Fpid%2525253D55209&source=iu&pf=m&fir=bw98Nqw8PZaDkM%253A%252C2o5rLeXwjQPYUM%252C_&biw=1229&bih=625&usg=__4IG226eCBLETamNWihxbshqsGDA%3D&ved=0CEAQyjdqFQoTCJCClOq9kscCFRB-kgodI_ELaA&ei=-UnCVdChJZD8yQSj4q_ABg#imgrc=bw98Nqw8PZaDkM%3A&usg=__4IG226eCBLETamNWihxbshqsGDA%3D

An antihistamine such as zyrtec or laratadine at night may also help.

If you do a search ion this forum you will find many recent threads on this. There has been/is a virus going around which leaves many people with a chronic cough afterwards.

Klacid is an antibiotic (clarithryomycin). I don't know how long you have been on it but the usual treatment would be between 7 - 14 days (500 mg twice a day).

Cophartussin is not going to do much if anything. At night time take "Brown Mixture" which you can get at any 7-11, green box with a tiger on it. https://www.google.com/search?q=brown+mixture+thailand&tbm=isch&imgil=bw98Nqw8PZaDkM%253A%253B2o5rLeXwjQPYUM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.ethaicd.com%25252Fshow.php%25253Fpid%2525253D55209&source=iu&pf=m&fir=bw98Nqw8PZaDkM%253A%252C2o5rLeXwjQPYUM%252C_&biw=1229&bih=625&usg=__4IG226eCBLETamNWihxbshqsGDA%3D&ved=0CEAQyjdqFQoTCJCClOq9kscCFRB-kgodI_ELaA&ei=-UnCVdChJZD8yQSj4q_ABg#imgrc=bw98Nqw8PZaDkM%3A&usg=__4IG226eCBLETamNWihxbshqsGDA%3D

An antihistamine such as zyrtec or laratadine at night may also help.

Thanks Sheryl, I will go to 7/11 and get what you have suggested.

I have finally shifted mine after nearly 3 weeks.

I took Tusilan for a couple of days until I ran out.

I googled it and it is called

Dextromethorphan

Dextromethorphan hydrobromide monohydrate (a derivative of Dextromethorphan) is reported as an ingredient of Tusilan in the following countries:

• Indonesia

I went to my local pharmacy and they gave me something called (I think) Eif Cof in 15 mg tablets. 1 x 3 times a day and that cleared it in a week.

I swear everytime I get a cold I end up on antibiotics. Coughs tend to linger. I hate taking antibiotics but after a couple of weeks I'll go the course. Make sure you take the full course. Sometimes it takes two rounds to finally shake it.

A combination of the tropics and me getting older. Knock on wood it's been awhile since my last bout.

It's not Phuket pollution.

Edited by Pinot

Coughs are usually a viral infection, antibiotics are for bacterial infections.

correct , so the amoxicillin will not do anything.

It is not unusual to contract a persistant cough ... it's most commonly started due to it being spread in the air and therefore inhaled.

Solmax is the cheap thai tablet from memory, same like Tiffy brand.

Drink warm water with lemon juice mix and spray in the mouth with Kamillosan spray which is to assist in killing a sore throat.

Infections that start off viral can end up causing bacterial overgrowth and antibiotics are commonly prescribed and can be very useful.

Persistent coughs might indicate bronchitis, allergy, or a more serious issue.

OTC medicines might be alleviate symptoms. But a cough goes simply when an infection runs its course or is cured.

Coughs can have many causes. The characteristic of the cough is often a clue i.e. dry or productive (with sputum), all the time or mostly at night, accompanied by fever or not, presence/absence of other symptoms etc etc.

Viral and bacterial respiratory infections are one possibility. so is asthma, so is TB, so so is irritation form post-nasal drip (often allergic in origin). Also in some cases cardiac problems, but there would be other coexisting signs.