US Senate approves new Bangkok envoy

webfact

US Senate approves new Bangkok envoy

gd1.jpg
Glyn Davies. File photo, source Internet

WASHINGTON: -- The US Senate today approved the appointment of Glyn Davies as the new ambassador to Thailand.
Davies was former US envoy for North Korean policy.

US charge d’affaires in Bangkok Mr W Patrick Murphy congratulated the approval in his Twitter “Congrats to my future boss, a terrific diplomat!”.

The new Bangkok envoy later posted on his Twitter after learning of the approval, “Happy & honored to be confirmed by US Senate. Jackie & I look forward to our move to Bangkok — City of Angels!

As Bangkok Post reported, Davies is a career member of the US foreign service and is now a senior adviser in the Bureau of East Asian and Pacific Affairs at the Department of State.

Prior to his appointment, Davies was special representative for North Korea policy from 2012 to 2014.

He served as the US envoy to the United Nations and the International Atomic Energy Agency in Vienna from 2009 to 2012.

Mr Davies replaces Kristie Kenney, who became deputy assistant secretary for public diplomacy and public affairs in the East Asian and Pacific affairs bureau in November.

The post was left vacant for 10 months after the Thai military junta seized power in May.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/us-senate-approves-new-bangkok-envoy

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-06

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did Kristie Kenney move up or down?

She's still in the State Department, but working in D.C. Her main qualification for diplomatic appointment has been her marriage to Bill Brownfield, who is in the State Department's South American narcotics bureau. Ms. Kenney's current post is Deputy Assistant Secretary for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs for East Asia. I don't know if that is a step up or a step down. It's possible she will no longer be considered for assignments abroad, because there was quite a public backlash on her propensity for posting twitter selfies, deemed inappropriate for a career foreign diplomat.

US Senate Confirms New US Ambassador
By Khaosod English

14388432761438843440l.jpg
Future US Ambassador to Thailand Glyn T. Davies. Photo: US State Department

WASHINGTON D.C. — The United States Senate cleared the way for a senior career diplomat and Asian troubleshooter to assume his post as the top American diplomat in Thailand.

Four months after he was nominated by U.S. President Barack Obama, Glyn Townsend Davies was confirmed by the upper legislative body by vote early this morning.

Nearly 10 months after the departure of former Ambassador Kristie Kenney, Davies’ confirmation means the U.S. will have soon be on better footing to maintain its relationship with the kingdom, which has cooled since the military seized power from an elected government in May 2014.

A diplomat for 35 years, Davies served as a special envoy to North Korea prior to his nomination in April. As the State Department’s point-man for an adversarial relationship, including a multinational effort to rein in its nuclear ambitions, Davies background is in line with America’s recalibrated relationship with Thailand following the coup.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1438843276

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-08-06

He definitely seems to be a man of substance.

His name is kind of pretentiously Anglophile for an American but he had no control over that.

He's no BUBBA.

BTW, really nice tie in the OP picture ... maybe that can be his calling card in TIE-LAND. (Groan.)

Edited by Jingthing

She's still in the State Department, but working in D.C. Her main qualification for diplomatic appointment has been her marriage to Bill Brownfield, who is in the State Department's South American narcotics bureau. Ms. Kenney's current post is Deputy Assistant Secretary for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs for East Asia. I don't know if that is a step up or a step down. It's possible she will no longer be considered for assignments abroad, because there was quite a public backlash on her propensity for posting twitter selfies, deemed inappropriate for a career foreign diplomat.

Sounds like the American version of "transferred to an inactive post".

No that would be Thule Greenland. When you get orders for there you know you have really upset someone big. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thule_Air_Base

THAI-US TIES
US Senate approves Davies' appointment as ambassador to Thailand

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The US Senate on Wednesday approved the appointment of Glyn Townsend Davies as the new ambassador to Thailand.

The news was reported Thursday morning in a tweet by the US charge d'affaires in Bangkok W Patrick Murphy.

"US Senate has confirmed Glyn Davies as next US Ambassador to Kingdom of #Thailand. Congrats to my future boss, a terrific diplomat!" Murphy tweeted.

The new Bangkok envoy also posted on his Twitter after learning of the approval, "Happy & honoured to be confirmed by US Senate. Jackie & I look forward to our move to Bangkok - City of Angels!."

After a six-month vacancy at the American mission, US President Barack Obama in April nominated Davies as the new ambassador to Thailand.

Davies replaces Kristie Kenney, who ended her tenure as ambassador in November and is now deputy assistant secretary for public affairs and public diplomacy at the Bureau of East Asian and Pacific Affairs.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/US-Senate-approves-Davies-appointment-as-ambassado-30266056.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-06

Guess time will tell how good he is & whether he accurately relates the Thai situation through being out & about not simply "cloistered away" in US embassy!!

Needs to get out & about; listen to street talk!

He will surely fix in well in his new job being he been involved in North Korean affairs. He will feel right at home here.

You go way above and beyond hyperbole with this statement. One week living under the NK government and you'd be begging to return to the freedom of Thailand.

Guess time will tell how good he is & whether he accurately relates the Thai situation through being out & about not simply "cloistered away" in US embassy!!

Needs to get out & about; listen to street talk!

Yep, about time Big Brother learns about the Thai way. The somtam lady at the corner of the street is surely a much better address in this respect than those Harvard schooled political advisors and TIER 2 should not be too far anymore then. wink.png

Counting paperclips! Prestigious position to keep the numbers for gender diversity the way Obama wants them!

His name is kind of pretentiously Anglophile for an American but he had no control over that.

He's no BUBBA.

BTW, really nice tie in the OP picture ... maybe that can be his calling card in TIE-LAND. (Groan.)

Anglophile, really?

'Davies' is a Welsh name and would have Celtic origins rather than Anglo Saxon.

Glyn Davies officially approved as ambassador to Thailand

PNPOL580806001000601_06082015_025845.jpg

BANGKOK, 6 August 2015 (NNT) - The US Senate has approved the appointment of Glyn Davies as the new ambassador to Thailand.

US charge d'affaires, W Patrick Murphy made the announcement via Twitter and congratulated Mr Davies on his new role. However, Mr Murphy did not specify when Mr Davies will travel to Thailand to take up the post.

Mr Davies also posted a tweet saying he is honored to have been confirmed by the US Senate and that he is looking forward to joining the US embassy team in Thailand.

Mr Davies, who was a former US envoy for North Korean policy, was nominated as the next US ambassador by President Barack Obama in mid-April.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-08-06 footer_n.gif

He's no BUBBA.

What do you mean by "pretentiously Anglophile" ?

He's no BUBBA.

Anglophile, really?

'Davies' is a Welsh name and would have Celtic origins rather than Anglo Saxon.

Americans don't care about such distinctions. It's a snooty sounding "upper class" exceedingly WHITE name to American ears. Deal with it. I'm sure he has ... quite well apparently.

Don't forget the Glyn either. Americans are usually GLEN.

My parents almost named me GARTH ... dodged that bullet! I was bullied enough.

Edited by Jingthing

It would be considered a lateral move. Glad the new choice is actually qualified for the job.

Davies is a snooty sounding name? WHAT??? It`s a working-class Welsh name!

`Deal with it`, okay sir, sorry sir, whatever you say sir. Haha

Not to Americans. It sounds like someone who went to an elite prep school in New England and I see he went to Georgetown U. Perfect.

Edited by Jingthing

Not to Americans. It sounds like someone who went to an elite prep school in New England and I see he went to Georgetown U. Perfect.

What does your obsession have to do with the ThaiVisa OP? Nothing, so stop it, please.

What does your obsession have to do with the ThaiVisa OP? Nothing, so stop it, please.

It is not an obsession.

It has to do with the way this man in the news, the new U.S. ambassador to Thailand, FULL name sounds to American ears.

Important? Probably not but I mentioned it and some people responded to it.

I'll stop it if people have nothing more to say. Otherwise if you seriously think my comments are off topic, use the report button.

Cheerio.

To add, the ETHNICITY of ambassador picks sometimes comes into play. For example if there was very qualified choice who was Thai American or had deep connections to Thailand, that would be taken into account when selecting choices. It certainly isn't necessary. For minor countries, ambassador titles are sometimes given as payback for political favors. Thailand is more important than that.

Edited by Jingthing