Retirement: Thailand vs Spain

TIMMMMM

Approximately one million British citizens (retired, semi-retired, freelancers, working) live in Thailand and the same number of people live in Spain. As I haven’t been to Spain I am wondering what are the CONS of living in Spain vs Thailand. I can’t seem to find any.

In Spain (this is from internet):

• Rent & housing prices are cheaper
  • Food is cheaper and better quality (GMO but no pesticides like in Thailand)
  • Infrastructure is better
  • Crime isn’t low but lower than in Thailand
  • Weather is a bit better
  • Beaches and water are cleaner
  • Flight to EU and NA are cheaper
  • Easier to stay fit (hiking, walking, cycling, etc)
  • Healthcare is probably the same (in Thailand is probably more affordable and a bit friendlier)

For those who lived in Spain and decided to make Thailand their second home do you mind sharing your experiences as to why?

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Language is much simpler.

Basic conversational fluency, even for the terminally stupid, in just a year.

That, and you won't find Chef scrutinizing a booger while preparing your meal.

Are you sure about the chef part???

But if so many Brits living abroad doesn't mean this something about the lil'Island ???

How could I miss TAXES. After all it's the second most important thing after death. That's right I've heard Spain is tightening up 183+ days non-residents taxation policy.

If it weren't for Taxes, most of 1M Brits living in Thailand would be moving to Spain.

who says you have to be 183 days in spain after you become resident in spain?

taxes compared to uk are now around 60 % of uk depending on source of income

residency in the eu means you can always return to the uk with out being treated as a leper

learning numbers is easy ie.que precios answer either mas barato ( more cheaper) mas caro (too expensive)

and the other most important phrase to open with is "hablas ingles" the reply is always poco

as for the chefs depends on whether you tipped last time

if you have a thai wife schengen visa is easy and free

of course all the above is what i have heard about as i live in thailand most of the time!

The women?

Dont they have those in Spain?

I think they do, but they generally dont come with a sick buffalo and an extended family of 20 people who all want to live in your garage.

They do come with mustaches though.

Between the way you have mangled your Spanish and English, I am surprised anyone understands you....I mean "que precios", and the answers you provide are just nonsense. ......."more cheaper"??? is this even English???.......heaven forbid......you really need to go back to the numbers and basics....here, let me help...uno, dos, etcetc...or you could just go around saying/singing Olé, Olé, Olé,....

residency in the eu means you can always return to the uk with out being treated as a leper

learning numbers is easy ie.que precios answer either mas barato ( more cheaper) mas caro (too expensive)

and the other most important phrase to open with is "hablas ingles" the reply is always poco

of course all the above is what i have heard about as i live in thailand most of the time!

Edited by blomarel

LOL...Cervantes wept!

Between the way you have mangled your Spanish and English, I am surprised anyone understands you....I mean "que precios", and the answers you provide are just nonsense. ......."more cheaper"??? is this even English???.......heaven forbid......you really need to go back to the numbers and basics....here, let me help...uno, dos, etcetc...or you could just go around saying/singing Olé, Olé, Olé,....

Below is based on Global retirement index, Thailand no 10 and Spain no 7:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-best-countries-to-retire-in-2015-170424541.html

Spain can be cold during the winters so as mentioned, if one can afford to share the time between the 2 countries that would be ideal.

If you can live in Thailand as a Thai, eating Thai food only, Thailand will be cheaper to live in(I can't, LOL).

I don't know what cars/bikes cost in Spain? If you stick with Thai made cars/bike the price is cheap for me here in Thailand.

I work in oil off-shore and pay 0% tax here in Thailand and save app 30-40% of my income for retirement, not possible if living in Spain.

A speeding violation in car/bike is about 500-1000baht here, it would likely be the same in Spain but in Euros, he-he.

As a EU citizen many advantages of living in Spain as mentioned: Stay as long as you like, no visa's to worry about.

Buy a house and own it 100%, no bullshit as here.

Easy to tour EU from Spain.

And so on.

Best to go there and look around, check the prices yourself and see if you like it generally.

I have never been to Spain, but I would imagine anyone retiring there would have to be rich.

Thailand must be a lot less expensive, and is nowhere near as crime infested as some would have you believe.

For the average working class UK person, Thailand has to win hands down. This is only my personal opinion.

The women?

Dont they have those in Spain?

I think they do, but they generally dont come with a sick buffalo and an extended family of 20 people who all want to live in your garage.

They do come with mustaches though.

and tattoos and fat bellies?

I have never been to Spain, but I would imagine anyone retiring there would have to be rich.

Thailand must be a lot less expensive, and is nowhere near as crime infested as some would have you believe.

For the average working class UK person, Thailand has to win hands down. This is only my personal opinion.

Why would you imagine that? Spain isn't the south of France.

Thailand ain't cheap, considering the value one get for the hard earned €,£,¥ etc.

I've been to South of France. That's @&$ing expensive. On top of that food crap, service crap, ....

From what I gather Spain is a different story.

some parts of Spain is best avoided, too many ''Brits'', and ''Brit'' Pubs etc etc.., rough diamonds....

Weather can be quite cold in the Winter time, but anyone into outdoor cycling and jogging etc etc, Spain would be better...

Spanish Culture is completely different from the ''Thai'' culture, and service in ''Spain'' is a non starter....

anyway, swings and roundabouts....., all depends what you want out of life..

and what is important...