Security Guards at your place?

Travel2003

I can see in the news today there will be implemented some new rules, in regards to who the companies can hire, etc.

Wherever I have lived in Thailand, the security guards have normally been below par.

Or maybe the low level is the par.

Several times, coming home late, I had to lift the boom/barrier myself, since the guard is fast asleep.

Told my wife this should be discussed at the mobaan meeting, which they did.

All unit owners agreed the guards were useless.

I asked why we didn't fire them, or use another company.

The reply was, because if we fire them, the guards will come back and break into the houses instead.

So we are held hostage by useless guards.

Anyone in same situation?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lived in about 8-9 different places. Always the same. Ranges from the benign (sleeping on the job etc) to running gambling den in the car park, breaking, entering and stealing, vandalism.......and on and on. We've been sacking the occasional guard and that can result in some success by giving a reality check to those left behind. Conversely, it fires up those left behind to vandalize committee emmer' scars and the like. Not sure there is much to be done.

That sounds like a point to condo life.

Even security guards out the front of some hotels are fast asleep. One hotel we'd sneak past him cause I'd feel bad waking him up. He'd be out by the elevator snoring away every night. Woeful.

Our mobaan became open more than 30 years ago and crime immediately decreased and has not been a problem since. The guards were the real problem as they passed the word (if they did not do themselves). Probably more cost effective these days to install a few cameras recording main streets that can be used for reference in case of a theft.

Security guards at my place are great! Very vigilant, always on patrol and quite vocal at passers by.

They tend to be quite aggressive if approached and seem quite threatening on occasion.

They dont get paid, and are quite happy playing with a ball and getting fed twice a day.

stop paying the moo-baan service, or if they have other services that work well deduct what you mean is the share of the security.

I think from 10 years here we only paid 3 years. Before we didn't pay because they were corrupt and we couldn't see what happens with the money. With a new leader we paid...and stopped again as it didn't work.

No we never attend the moo baan meeting....waste of time.

Should hire all the ex navy seals and SAS hanging around the bars in Pattaya

Aren't those guys supposed to kill you after they told you they are special forces.. ?cheesy.gif

Well if they roll over you, you are flat.......And they may hold the black belt in Sumo Wrestling cheesy.gif

Our security guy is nice.....but I worry I can still outsmart or overpower him when I am 85 and have drank a bottle vodka.....Lets hope the bad guys are in no better shape.

Security guards at my place are great! Very vigilant, always on patrol and quite vocal at passers by.

They tend to be quite aggressive if approached and seem quite threatening on occasion.

They dont get paid, and are quite happy playing with a ball and getting fed twice a day.

Same as our both...pretend to sleep all day long but if anybody comes close to our house an inferno brakes loose and nobody would like to mess with them...because nobody knows they are actually friendly...

But they might be corrupt....I might be able to bribe them with sausage.....

Same as our both...pretend to sleep all day long but if anybody comes close to our house an inferno brakes loose and nobody would like to mess with them...because nobody knows they are actually friendly...

Yeah former neighbor had two rottweiler....The Thais were scared to death.....

Rottis are the most lovely dogs once they know you a bit, but it seems unknown here.

Rottis are the most lovely dogs once they know you a bit, but it seems unknown here.

Rot ties are great and extreme loyal...we have one bull terrier and a blue line pitty...

We have changed security guard company several times in my condo building. As long as you use Thai companies and pay Thai prices (circa 15,000B/month/shift) you can probably expect to get some guards who drink and sleep because their management will be equally incompetent and lazy. It's certainly the case with all the companies we have used.

But if you are prepared to pay an extra 7-8KB/month/shift then you could afford Securitas who, I think, are in a completely different league.

We also had a guard who had fleas and used to crap on the floor. But we sacked him.

Rot ties are great and extreme loyal...we have one bull terrier and a blue line pitty...

Very nice!!!......I have no garden and I am a bit (not much) allergic so no smelly friends for me sad.png

Someone told me a few chocolate bars would do the trick with dogs.

Not sure if that is just an urban myth.

Should hire all the ex navy seals and SAS hanging around the bars in Pattaya

We special forces aren't allowed to do Thai jobs, so they won't give me a w/p....lol, still wouldn't do it for peanuts anyway...back to the bar then chaps, "right, where was I?" "Oh yes, then I killed 4 of them with my bare hands, and then...guys, guys? Where u goin', I havent told you about when....?"

Only joking, i'm not really special forces....shh, I'm MI5

I asked why we didn't fire them, or use another company. The reply was, because if we fire them, the guards will come back and break into the houses instead.

That's an old wives tail... Thing is that with guards that lazy, they are hardly likely to make the effort.

When I had a condo, we had some residents complain about the guards standards, sleeping on duty etc, the management just cancelled their contract and had a new firm in straight away, the management even put up notices to report them sleeping on the job, as I recall the notices had a photo of one of the old firm asleep on duty.

Someone told me a few chocolate bars would do the trick with dogs.

Not sure if that is just an urban myth.

My mother came to visit....had the aggressive soi dog mafia....next time she went to the pet shop and bought some nice food.

Since than if she had food or not, she had a 10 dog security guard :-)

There's a vacant section (now turning into a carpark) between my soi and the next. I see the security guard for the apartment block every night...he seems to be on the ball. He wanders around with his torch, checking the cars etc.

Mind you, from his uniform he must be very highly qualified. He appears to be an Admiral Field Marshal General Commodore, many times decorated.

AND!!!! he has a whistle! Very important man, no doubt.

Edited by Seastallion

the first 4yrs.we had drunks,70yr.olds,cripples,blokes who could sleep standing up,leaving their posts for hrs.but we dug our heels in and said enough is enough,held the community charge untill they changed.it worked and we now have 2great blokes.

We had problems with our guards many years ago. Got new ones and they were OK, but did sleep at night. The new ones we have now, off duty navy guys, are fantastic. They might doze off from time to time, but not on a regular basis. Plus, it keeps all the riff raff out of our village. With the guards a long time ago, they'd let all sorts of people into the village to go door to door selling stuff. Ugh....

We've not had a break in or problem in years.