Fm Aerial (antenna)

petedk

I have recently bought a home theatre but I am very disappointed at the quality of the FM radio reception. I have tried moving the aerial around the room but don't seem to get much improvement.

Does anyone know where I can buy a good aerial and also what to buy. There used to be a Radio Shack near here but that closed down recently.

PS I live on Thong Lor so a shop or shops somewhere around this area would be appreciated.

Go to your local electronics shop or Amorn and ask them for an FM antenna. I got a round one that I installed outside. Provides pretty good reception.

Usually listen to either 105.5 (Thai, but English songs) and 107 (English with English songs). I don't know of any other English stations.

PS I live on Thong Lor so a shop or shops somewhere around this area would be appreciated.

I'm not based in BKK, but so far I've found some very good high-end audio shops in Fortune Town and E-Squared, a multi-story hi-fi mall tucked in next to the North-side entrance to the Big-C across from Central World.

I saw one hi-end shop in another mall off the sky train but I forgot what it is called.

As I have a few audio questions to solve (not FM, more vinyl) any other shops suggestions on this thread would be appreciated! :o

Thanks for all the comments.

I listen to 105.5 and 107 sometimes. It's not so often but it makes a chage from CD's and MP3's.

UBC has a certain number of radio channels and these may be better than investing in a Band II aerial.

As far as I know these are only available in the expensive Platinum pakage. Is that correct?

I guess I'll take a walk around Fortune Tower

I built my own.

TRY THIS

It's a simple and easy plan to make antenna for FM reception. It took me 15 minutes to build it and can now listen to 107 FM clearly in Chonburi.

The cross section at 4 feet , 9 inches long will give good reception across the FM dial.

If you want better reception for a specific station, just remember the formula shown. Divide the radio station's frequency by 468 for the lenght of the cross section of the antenna.

Ex: FM 107

107 / 468 = 4feet, 4 inches across.

The vertical cable of the antenna can be any lenght.

I've stapled it on a wood lath which you can run outside the house and fix to a wall. You'll simply need to find the best direction to point it at first. No need installing it on the roof to avoid lighnting strikes.

Edited by Tony Clifton

For that matter, you could try a length of thin speaker wire connected to the antenna hookup on your tuner/receiver.

Split it to make a "T" and attach it to the wall. I used to do this in the States with excellent results. I've also attached this set up to the ceiling, when necessary, to improve reception. In other cases, just letting sit on the floor behind the stereo setup was usually enough. Depends on the signal you're trying to get, obviously. :o

Edited by Upcountry