Somyot says Ratchaprasong bomber aided by some Thais

webfact

The top cop is bang on the mark. Such admirable detective skills. There's no doubt that Thais were involved in helping the bomber. The taxi driver that took him to Erawan was Thai, as were the hotel staff who gave him a place to stay.

How about the immigration officer that let him into the country?

Ii is quite possible this person has lived in Thailand for a long time. Works here and speaks Thai.

I don't understand why the RTP can't find out who he is. I know the photos are not too clear but as they have photos at immigration of every foreigner who has entered the country then sure they must be able to use some kind of facial recognition software to narrow it down somewhat.

Yeah, I bet they haven't thought of that. blink.png

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Police Commissioner "He urged people living in the area to alert the police immediately if they spotted the man who now might disguise himself to avoid recognition."

Maybe the suspect disguised himself prior to leaving the bomb ?

He might be wrong, but why is it so hard to believe? There were explosives involved. Did some foreigner manage to smuggle in explosives as well, or is it more they likely acquired them in Thailand? Of course it isn't impossible for someone familiar with Thailand to also bring in or aquire explosives without a Thai involved, then pull this off, and maybe a second attempt by walking or riding accross the bridge by himself. But that's a lot of stuff for one person to do by themselves.

I could make some explosives this morning if I wanted to it's that easy.

Until test results are released as to what the actual explosive used was there needn't necessarily be Thai connection if it were a foreign bomber.

Maybe you could "make some explosives" this morning (frankly I doubt it) but could you acquire all the materials for a bomb of this magnitude that was safe to carry and that could be set off remotely?

And then simply click your fingers at the intended site and have a couple of random strangers give up their seat for you without question and then shield you while you plant the bomb.

And then have your (admittedly grainy) picture put on social media all over the world with millions of Thais, a police force and the Army looking for you, and nobody remember selling you anything or even seeing you before?

That's quite a trick.

I'd have to agree that it would be difficult for a foreigner to source all the materials to manufacture a bomb of this scale on his own without arousing suspicion or people noticing.

I only go to the hardware store once a year and they always remember me, and I'm spending a few hundred baht on cheap everyday tools. A foreigner buying materials for a bomb of this scale without being noticed/remembered? Not impossible, but not as easy as people suggest. I very much doubt he acted alone, especially given the behaviour of the 2 that gave up their seat to him without question and then shielded him (then immediately left) as he planted the bomb.

Someone knows who this is, I'd suggest a large reward for information, Thais aren't the best at keeping secrets at the best of times, but when money is offered to grass on a foreigner?

should have already issued a reward, much too slow.

make it a big one too.

I'm sure that if they had any clue whatsoever, a reward would be out by now.

Just curious? Do they have composite police artists in BKK?

1422583053857.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Edited by jaywalker

There are a report that the explosives used was TNT which you will find difficult to buy inside Thailand and would attract too much attention. It would just be easier to smuggle in the explosives or even the ready made bomb. No Thais needed just proffesional terrorists.

Thailand is a big country. This guy could have left already and certainly will look nothing like the grainy images that are being circulated. That crazy hairstyle is likely a wig anyway and if not, he will be a crew cut by now. This is going to be come down to good cops on the street interviewing people until they can find where he stayed or where he may have come from or gone to. Like they say, the first 48 hours are the most important. I wish them luck and trust they can move quickly. Sadly, they never learn with the PR theatrics and that lets them down in the public eye.

Thailand is a big country. This guy could have left already and certainly will look nothing like the grainy images that are being circulated. That crazy hairstyle is likely a wig anyway and if not, he will be a crew cut by now. This is going to be come down to good cops on the street interviewing people until they can find where he stayed or where he may have come from or gone to. Like they say, the first 48 hours are the most important. I wish them luck and trust they can move quickly. Sadly, they never learn with the PR theatrics and that lets them down in the public eye.

"Security at China Town was boosted with patrol police and soldiers conducted foot patrol along the road to ensure safety for tourists."

Perhaps an indication that the police have finally realized that the bomber was targeting ethnic-Chinese tourists, and that makes it highly likely they're dealing with an Uighur terrorist?

Good point there Zaphod.

I was looking through the list of names of the injured, and most did seem like Chinese names, whether listed as foreigners or not.

Then again - Who knows (least of all Somyot)?

I'd have to agree that it would be difficult for a foreigner to source all the materials to manufacture a bomb of this scale on his own without arousing suspicion or people noticing.

I only go to the hardware store once a year and they always remember me, and I'm spending a few hundred baht on cheap everyday tools. A foreigner buying materials for a bomb of this scale without being noticed/remembered? Not impossible, but not as easy as people suggest. I very much doubt he acted alone, especially given the behaviour of the 2 that gave up their seat to him without question and then shielded him (then immediately left) as he planted the bomb.

Someone knows who this is, I'd suggest a large reward for information, Thais aren't the best at keeping secrets at the best of times, but when money is offered to grass on a foreigner?

I agree, definitely looks like they are shielding him, very strange, they are both really (almost uncomfortably) close together.....surely, the BIB would want to find them, if anything to help the enquiry.

Maybe that is why the BIB have stated "bomber aided by some Thai's", maybe they think the same thing?!

Based on the videos I've seen, it's not possible to conclusively say that the suspect is not a Thai citizen, or even ethnically Thai (though there hardly is such a thing as "ethnic Thai" in Thailand today given all of the mixing over centuries with Chinese, Lao/Isaan, Malay, Indian and Westerners, among others). He could be one of the many Thais of Indian descent, or he could be half Thai / half something else, but was born and raised in Thailand. Or he could be an immigrant who has lived in Thailand for many years. There are countless possibilities and -- unless they know something that we don't -- it's irresponsible for the police to make definitive statements like this. Seeing everything in black and white is not the way to solve a crime.

Unless they get lucky and/or get a lot of help from real professionals I have no faith in the BIB being able to solve this case. As has been pointed out before they have not managed to solve the previous Bangkok bombings nor the one in Samui.

And to think that our dear leader has chickened out of reforming the police but decided to spend his time on lottery, plastic bags and no-serve zones around schools...

Edited by MZurf

does this cop realise just how stupid this statement seems " impossible for a foreigner to come to bkk and kike a motorbike across the bridge " i have driven all around bkk regularly with no problems at all. not really that hard for a tourist like me, so it would be a piece of cake to any committed terrorist. just seen this link below.

100 Chinese Muslims 'plotting to join ISIS' deported from ...
www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Hooded-shackled-100-Chinese-Muslims-plotting-j...
12 Jul 2015 - The Chinese government claims more than 100 minority Muslim Uighurs who were sent back from Thailand to China after fleeing the country ..

Some foreigners know BK extremely well, and dont we also have GPS these days.

Not exactly wrong but surely he can use a more intelligent statement. The perpetractor/s will need to buy the TNT and the detonator from locals as it will not be possible and silly to attempt to bring from external means. TNT can then be melted down and inserted in the pipe. Can't the investigator identify the type of TNT used and narrow down the source? TNT is used in Thailand by the military and mining. Rather than some simple analysis deduction by any layman, this idiot talk about getting around.

He might be wrong, but why is it so hard to believe? There were explosives involved. Did some foreigner manage to smuggle in explosives as well, or is it more they likely acquired them in Thailand? Of course it isn't impossible for someone familiar with Thailand to also bring in or aquire explosives without a Thai involved, then pull this off, and maybe a second attempt by walking or riding accross the bridge by himself. But that's a lot of stuff for one person to do by themselves.

Until test results are released as to what the actual explosive used was there needn't necessarily be Thai connection if it were a foreign bomber.

Agreed. Kitchen ingredients plus 2 or 3 agricultural compounds including fertilizers readily available here and bingo (or BANGO). They have claimed TNT was used but how do they know that so soon,(gas spectrograph test results announced)??? In the manner we usually see technical terms bandied about here any "apparent high explosive" might be referred to as TNT by someone wanting to enhance his "face size." I do suspect that it is more than likely that there was some foreign involvement here. The media are pointing at some people who are mightily pee'ed off with the LOS right now.

He said it was impossible for a foreigner to come into Bangkok and would able to know where to go and how to hike motorcycle across the bridge.

No, what should be impossible is for a National Police Chief to believe that a terrorist won't plan an attack for weeks and months, including practice runs, scouting, logistics. According to this bright light, the perp suddenly decided to blow something up...an impulse bomber.

Maybe you could "make some explosives" this morning (frankly I doubt it) but could you acquire all the materials for a bomb of this magnitude that was safe to carry and that could be set off remotely?

And then simply click your fingers at the intended site and have a couple of random strangers give up their seat for you without question and then shield you while you plant the bomb.

And then have your (admittedly grainy) picture put on social media all over the world with millions of Thais, a police force and the Army looking for you, and nobody remember selling you anything or even seeing you before?

That's quite a trick.

Yes I could make some explosives easily. Did just that years ago when I was 15/16 years old.

Sodium chlorate, sugar and a pipe is all you need.

The tricky part would be the detonator but that info is widely available on the net.

Edited by apetley

This guy is every bit a clown as the ones who appointed him!! I seem to recall the Junta fanbois fawning over this guy when he was appointed, stating he was an excellent copper, old school, brilliant detective blah blah blah... He's been nothing but a yes man and a disappointment IMHO, its as clear as day how he got to where he is, and how rich he is. It wasn't through sterling police work and diligence!!

Based on the videos I've seen, it's not possible to conclusively say that the suspect is not a Thai citizen, or even ethnically Thai (though there hardly is such a thing as "ethnic Thai" in Thailand today given all of the mixing over centuries with Chinese, Lao/Isaan, Malay, Indian and Westerners, among others). He could be one of the many Thais of Indian descent, or he could be half Thai / half something else, but was born and raised in Thailand. Or he could be an immigrant who has lived in Thailand for many years. There are countless possibilities and -- unless they know something that we don't -- it's irresponsible for the police to make definitive statements like this. Seeing everything in black and white is not the way to solve a crime.

I agree. The only black and white that needs to be coming from the police is a composite sketch derived from eyewitnesses.

How do they know he took a motorcycle taxi to Silom soi 7?

Sounds like a taxi driver took him and was interviewed and told them he remembered the T shirt and fare and destination.

Next step is to walk the soi with manpower to find someone else who saw him. maybe he switched taxis. whatever. maybe the search dies there. maybe not. what am I missing?

It's not totally off the cards. Look at how the red shirted guy conveniently stood up to give his seat to the bomber. And he just stood there in front of him for quite some time until the bomber removed the bag. It's like he was saving a seat for him in a busy area. It could have been a coincidence, but if one gets up to leave, they just leave, and not stand there for 30 seconds or more. And if the bomber is disguised, he may well be a Thai. I'd be looking to question that guy in the red shirt, and the other in the white shirt next to him.

Police Commissioner "He urged people living in the area to alert the police immediately if they spotted the man who now might disguise himself to avoid recognition."

Maybe the suspect disguised himself prior to leaving the bomb ?

And how are they supposed to spot him if he's in disguise? Isn't that the idea of being in disguise, so that you are not spotted or recognised?

and in other news today, a village has lost it's idiot, last seen impersonating a police officer.

"He said it was impossible for a foreigner to come into Bangkok and would able to know where to go and how to hike motorcycle across the bridge."

How does one hike a motorcycle? This sentence has me quite stumped facepalm.gif

Come on! Give them a break. It's the Nation reporting what a puppet wanted to say but couldn't

"The man rode a motorcycle taxi to Silom Soi 9 after the explosion and disappeared into the soi.

He urged people living in the area to alert the police immediately if they spotted the man who now might disguise himself to avoid recognition."

I assume the police are doing a door to door on this in Soi 9.

The top cop is bang on the mark. Such admirable detective skills. There's no doubt that Thais were involved in helping the bomber. The taxi driver that took him to Erawan was Thai, as were the hotel staff who gave him a place to stay.

coffee1.gif Uhh..., this is THAILAND so there are Thaiswai2.gif Is there some way you can blame it on the Yanks?biggrin.png