Bt10 million in reward offered

Lite Beer

BANGKOK BLAST
Bt10 million in reward offered
THE NATION

30267183-01_big.jpg?1440195399619

BANGKOK: -- TIP-OFFS SOUGHT ON KEY SUSPECT; BLAST AIMED TO HURT ECONOMY: SOMYOT

THE authorities believe bomb blasts at the Erawan shrine and Sathorn Bridge in Bangkok this week were aimed at discrediting the military government, national police chief General Somyot Poompanmuang has said.

Yesterday, several bomb hoaxes were reported at various locations in the capital.

The National Police Office is now offering up to Bt3million for a tip-off leading to the arrest of the man suspected of planting the bomb at the Erawan Shrine on Monday evening.

This is in addition to a Bt2-million reward that former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has offered, according to a Facebook post by his son, Panthongtae. Moreover, Panthongtae said his father would provide another Bt5million to officials who contribute to the arrest, if made.

National Council for Peace and Order spokesman Colonel Winthai Suvari, meanwhile, announced that several agencies believe the blasts were intended to seriously hurt the economy and tourism.

He said inquiries into the blasts were progressing. "But the authorities cannot release details at this point, as that may affect ongoing investigations," he said.

A sketch of the suspected bomber at the Erawan Shrine was released on Wednesday but immigration officials have not spotted him at any checkpoint.

Monday's blast killed 20 people and injured more than 100. The Sathorn Bridge blast did not cause any casualties as it exploded in water near the Chao Phraya River.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday urged the public to be eyes and ears for soldiers and police in a bid to ensure public safety and he called on people to quickly inform the authorities if they see anything suspicious.

However, he said people should not be fearful of the situation to the extent that they stay at home and do not spend money because that would hurt the economy. Several other countries had faced similar security situations or much worse but their people lived normal lives, he said.

"This is our home and country, so don't allow outsiders to play an excessive role. We ought to chart our own future, but we also have to listen to outsiders' voices," he said.

The premier said foreign countries have offered to help the authorities such as the US, which has sophisticated technology that would help with the investigation, especially in terms of identifying a suspect captured on CCTV.

Meanwhile, police yesterday found a suspect package at Benjakiti Park on Ratchadaphisek Road next to Queen Sirikit Convention Centre. When the package was unwrapped, a brand-new rattan ball and sand were found inside, creating the impression it might have been a bomb and causing panic.

A suspicious bag was also found near the Metropolitan Police Bureau. Police said they would summon the taxi driver who left it there for questioning. The owner of the bag told police he accidentally left it in the cab.

Education Ministry permanent secretary Dr Kamjorn Tatiyakavee revealed that an unknown man phoned the ministry and claimed that something bad would happen there.

"Now, we have stepped up security at the ministry compound," he said. "Someone might have wanted to spread a climate of fear."

In related news, examination of CCTV footage has revealed a possible suspect in the Sathorn Bridge attack. Long-distance footage shows the potential suspect walking towards the pier under the bridge on Monday evening - the night before the attack - carrying a plastic bag that could have contained an explosive.

The man kicked the bag into the river around 7.30pm, about half an hour after the Erawan Shrine explosion. He wore a blue shirt and trousers and may not have intended to cause casualties as the bomb exploded in the water.

Police said the suspect could be Thai.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Bt10-million-in-reward-offered-30267183.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-22

' The authorities cannot release details at this point as that may affect ongoing investigations. "

Not bad coming after several days where talking and sheer speculation was the order of the day. Could of course be code for ' we don't have a clue '.

So sad that P even allows such rubbish to be printed by Thaksin. So basically Thaksin is offering the police more money to arrest someone than the gov is offering as a reward for information that will lead to the arrest of the bomber. Still trying to pay off police even he is gone from Thailand. The police should be rewarded for doing their job properly or above and beyond the call of duty. Not cash offers to arrest someone. How can Somyot allow this to happen? Corrupt ex minister offering justification to corrupt more policemen. This country and its police force will never improve as long as they allow men like Thaksin to offer money to their police or gov officials. What a shame for Mr. P to allow this to happen all in the name of finding the bomber. If Thaksin really cared about that incident he would be sending that money to the families of the victims to add compensation to the meager amounts given by the gov.

Edited by thesetat2013

ahhh hahaha Thaksin is putting up more than the Junta, too funny. gigglem.gif

Now we are getting in the realms of real interesting tea money. Everyone has a price here, lets hope the amount keeps rising until someone cracks.

Edited by englishoak

Now we are getting in the realms of real interesting tea money. Everyone has a price here, lets hope the amount keeps rising until someone cracks.

It's not the first time Thaksin has put up money as a reward to catch a bomber-and to date he hasn't had to pay one baht. Perhaps he knows why.

It's not the first time Thaksin has put up money as a reward to catch a bomber-and to date he hasn't had to pay one baht. Perhaps he knows why.

Ahh yes thats probably it, the absent hand of course. whistling.gif

My thoughts, exactly.

Well, if I were a betting man I too would be quite confident in winning a bet against the BIB actually solving a case.

...or until a patsie is found bah.gif

My thoughts, exactly.

Mine also.

We are not releasing anymore details bc it could compromise the investigation but by the way, Tuesdays bomber was in the same spot Monday wearing a blue shirt after that day's bomb and he kicked something into the water,probably another bomb. Thank you, hap a nite day

This one has gone international. No way to do a Burmese stitch up now. In fact, they're going to actually have to do their job on this one. Ok, ok, I retract that. I should say they will have to APPEAR to do their job.

As each day passes, the military ruler(s)' response becomes more absurd. Now we are witness to one upsmanship as the former PM Thaksin cannot resist the opportunity to impress upon the people that he "loves" Thailand more.

I suppose this is the Thai way. However, I consider them to all be crass for this reward game. If people love their country as much as they say they do, then they should not need a financial incentive to help, nor should the police need some dosh to do their job.

Thaksin could give his money to a fund to help the wounded. They will need rehab and income replacement. Some will be crippled for life having lost limbs or vision, or hearing. Others will have PTSD. No one in the government is talking about long term care. These victims need help.

''Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday urged the public to be eyes and ears for soldiers and police in a bid to ensure public safety and he called on people to quickly inform the authorities if they see anything suspicious...'

http://www2.manager.co.th/Mwebboard/listComment.aspx?Mbrowse=13&QNumber=393071

In his excitement to criticise the current government, Mr Head has a complete <deleted> of himself and discredited the BBC by using his position for his own political agenda.

A grubby reporter more suited to the tabloids then anything to be taken seriously. I wonder how he has kept his job over the years given the criticism he has endured : I expect Asia is a place to send people you don't want anywhere important.

Mr Head has a complete <deleted> of himself and discredited the BBC by using his position for his own political agenda.

How come?

Sounds to me that he is doing an excellent job at trying to help the police - trying to hand in evidence and being told that the police station is closed sounds as if the police are making dicks of themselves.

Sometimes, the truth hurts, and were it not for foreign news reporters, we might not hear the ugly truth

Sounds to me that he is doing an excellent job at trying to help the police - trying to hand in evidence and being told that the police station is closed sounds as if the police are making dicks of themselves.

Funny you mentioned that. I guess you know Mr. Head's nickname among the FCC crowd?

It's the taxpayers own money...... some of the profits from undervalued land that his wife bought on insider information..... scumbags every one.. bah.gif

I have looked and gave it much thought... This guy must have been a bomb expert that was hired by Thais

His now a ghost gone in the wind.... He will never be seen again

Sadly i think you will be proven correct. I would imagine as it was a well thought through plan, the cowardly sod behind it, would clearly have thought through his escape route. But should the police get a lucky break they may still track him down.

The sad part for me in this story was the call to further stigmatize and isolate 'outsiders' in the eyes of Thais.

We are not releasing anymore details bc it could compromise the investigation but by the way, Tuesdays bomber was in the same spot Monday wearing a blue shirt after that day's bomb and he kicked something into the water,probably another bomb. Thank you, hap a nite day

The bomb was kicked into the water the same night, only 25 mins after the Erawan bomb exploded.Is it possible he got to that pier and had changed his clothes in that time? His hair was certainly different. I don't know the distance or the time needed to get there. It seems to me that the second bomb was being disposed of. Yet the bomb detonated the next day. Can it be remotely detonated while it is under water or perhaps it had a timer.

This one has gone international. No way to do a Burmese stitch up now. In fact, they're going to actually have to do their job on this one. Ok, ok, I retract that. I should say they will have to APPEAR to do their job.

I think it's a bit late for that already.

Mr Head has a complete <deleted> of himself and discredited the BBC by using his position for his own political agenda.

How come?

Sometimes, the truth hurts, and were it not for foreign news reporters, we might not hear the ugly truth

You might hear an outcome, whether it is the truth will be another story.

''Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday urged the public to be eyes and ears for soldiers and police in a bid to ensure public safety and he called on people to quickly inform the authorities if they see anything suspicious...'

http://www2.manager.co.th/Mwebboard/listComment.aspx?Mbrowse=13&QNumber=393071

In his excitement to criticise the current government, Mr Head has a complete <deleted> of himself and discredited the BBC by using his position for his own political agenda.

A grubby reporter more suited to the tabloids then anything to be taken seriously. I wonder how he has kept his job over the years given the criticism he has endured : I expect Asia is a place to send people you don't want anywhere important.

" by using his position for his own political agenda."

can you please provide evidence of your outrageous claims ? in fact so outrageous Mr Head and his employer should sue you for defamation under Thai laws.

Edited by Asiantravel