SURVEY: Are the recent attacks in Bangkok a harbinger of a new and dangerous chapter in Thailand?

Scott

Are the recent bombings a new and dangerous turn of events in Thailand?  

260 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is the ultimate soft target. It is unlikely that the bomb was not set off by Thais for several reasons, first the Thais can't keep quiet, someone would know someone who knew someone who was related to someone involved. It's how Thai society operates and polices itself. Second, it doesn't fit with the general demeanor of how Thais do things. They generally aren't likely to try to kill a large number of people.

I won't vote because the choices are too narrow but it's naive to think there aren't people out there so opposed to the junta's takeover that something isn't being considered / planned and also history shows that many counter military coups come from within the military itself.

Yeah, right.rolleyes.gif

http://www.smh.com.au/world/the-war-in-southern-thailand-is-longrunning-and-threatens-to-spread-20150526-gha6aa.html

The war in southern Thailand is long-running and threatens to spread

But striking at the heart of a tourist island appears to be an attempt to sabotage an area of economic significance, which is known to be one of the militants' strategies.

No-one claims responsibility for attacks or articulates the insurgents' aims and the identities of its leaders remain largely unknown, even to many of those in clandestine village and town cells.

Edited by Jingthing

Given the simplicity that enabled the suspect to dissapear......and now with the chief of police saying they don't the right equipment..(apart from incompetency)...yes....there could be a real danger of another event.

I was in Bangkok the week before in exactly the same place so I count my blessings that it wasn't there but strangely enough I did think when I was travelling around the city how the security had wound down - well it had to sooner or later. On that note one of the areas where they need to tighten up is on the BTS and MRT where the security is pretty lax. Several times I have had shopping in one had and a rucksack on my back and the shopping was looked into and the rucksack left. Of course it is fair to say as an older farang it is highly unlikely that I would be carrying anything illegal and I suppose the agents after looking into thousands of bags a day get a second sense. The problem with the scenario that unfolded is that once done it is no longer taboo and sooner or later it could happen again. I hope not as like a lot of members , we hold Thai people and Thailand dear to our hearts. May their gentle sould rest in peace.

Another ridiculous poll. NOBODY casting a vote has any facts, only information the media is releasing.

The media in Thai can only publish the facts that police feed them. Independent investigative journalism in Thai is almost non-existent due to the defamatory laws that exist. The civil law system is to blame.

Abstain...with a twist...

I do not think the recent attack at Erawan is a harbinger of a new and more dangerous chapter in Thailand.

Chapter 1 of the book begins back in 2008. A middle chapter begins in March 2010 and now in 2015 this

is just another paragraph in a chapter that began when the NCPO took over. The book will be a long read

if one is into this sort of book...mundane mostly with bits of utter sensless violence to perk up the read.

Edited by sunshine51

For the obvious reason, this will be a worldwide problem. But unfortunately counties with inept security services will be the target of choice.

Why should Thailand be different from the rest of the world? Without three Americans on board a train to Paris this weekend we might have had similar headlines to the ones we got from Bangkok this weekend. The world has become a place where screwed up people believe they have the right to kill innocent bystanders to make a point.

The likelihood of being killed in a terrorist attack or on the road in Thailand still favours the demise in a road accident according to foreign office notices when looking at their advice if travelling to Thailand.

Finally, Thailand has the potential to become a hub for something, although not in a positive way... After this display of utter incompetence of the RTP and army, key witnesses not coming forward out of fear, Thailand most likely will become THE "bomb hub" of southeast Asia. Anyone may try, beginners, advanced bombers, suicide bombers and bombers of any kind, knowing that there's a 99% chance of not getting caught, even if they'd be waving happily into CCTV cams and staying at the same hotel during their "preparation phase". Also the stupid media stunt with officials reassuring tourists that they will be "safe" during their stay, with that photo showing some police and sleepy dogs in line will not change a damn thing.

The recent bombings happened during this military government and it is in that circumstances that I believed the perpetrators found reasons and motivation. When the junta pass the government to an elected government, these reasons and motivation will ceased.

Abstain...with a twist...

I do not think the recent attack at Erawan is a harbinger of a new and more dangerous chapter in Thailand.

Chapter 1 of the book begins back in 2008. A middle chapter begins in March 2010 and now in 2015 this

is just another paragraph in a chapter that began when the NCPO took over. The book will be a long read

if one is into this sort of book...mundane mostly with bits of utter sensless violence to perk up the read.

Given his professional background, Sunshine51 is one of the more informed on Thai politics / conflict. I'll go with his opinion.

Unfortunately this bomb has highlighted the lax security/investigive powers here. That in itself is dangerous when there are so many factions in our modern world who want publicity.

My local Mall has installed security at each entrance which everyone has to pass through. Then they put a numpty in charge who stops absolutely no one. Its sad really, they have no idea about what to do, and are not interested in learning.

Another ridiculous poll. NOBODY casting a vote has any facts, only information the media is releasing.

What FACTS do you want?

I have 3 facts:

A bomb exploded.

20 people died.

The person who did this hasn't been caught.

The poll isn't asking who did it... In which case, I would agree, I think all of the speculation has been useless.