Is Thailand still a Third World Country?

NoshowJones

No. It's a developing country.

Pretty sure this topic has been done to death a few times already.

I think it has but I believe mentality of the educated and working class of the country the OP is from is very low. I only say this because I'm sure he wont mind as it is not a bashing statement as he can attest from his OP.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP writes. "the Thai mentality is very low, from both the well educated to the working class. Please don't turn this into a Thai bashing topic," Now if that is not a perfect example of the pot calling the kettle black I don't know what is.gigglem.gif

Rubbish, there is nothing wrong with critisising if it is constructive, I did not want any critisising the Thais if you cannot say anything good about them,

and there is plenty of good about Thailand and it's people, so awa an gie us peace.

What's a third world country?

Originally there was the Old World, the New World and the Third World. So yes it's a third world country. It is a newly industrialised country.

You seem to be confusing third world with inferiority in some way.

Actually ...

1. The term Third World arose during the Cold War to define countries that remained non-aligned with either NATO, or the Communist Bloc. The United States, Western European nations and their allies represented the First World, while the Soviet Union, China, Cuba, and their allies represented the Second World.

No. It's a developing country.

Pretty sure this topic has been done to death a few times already.

It does not matter SB, there are different posters saying different things all the time, someone said the same thing about one of your posts

and I told them the same thing.

Originally there was the Old World, the New World and the Third World. So yes it's a third world country. It is a newly industrialised country.

Actually ...

1. The term Third World arose during the Cold War to define countries that remained non-aligned with either NATO, or the Communist Bloc. The United States, Western European nations and their allies represented the First World, while the Soviet Union, China, Cuba, and their allies represented the Second World.

Third world corruption, definitely, but a lot of developed world services so I say

it is a country in transition. Will it ever get to the standard of Singapore? Probably

not for some time.

OP writes. "the Thai mentality is very low, from both the well educated to the working class. Please don't turn this into a Thai bashing topic," Now if that is not a perfect example of the pot calling the kettle black I don't know what is.gigglem.gif

Rubbish, there is nothing wrong with critisising if it is constructive, I did not want any critisising the Thais if you cannot say anything good about them,

and there is plenty of good about Thailand and it's people, so awa an gie us peace.

I agree with you considering your mentality I think you are doing great just to be able to type. After all you did say criticizing is OK as long as it's constructive. If I were you I'd go back to school and take a course in ethnocentrism and how not to offend people from other cultures and lands. Hint - when you tell people that they all have a very low mentality (both educated and working class) they want to hang you up on a pole and throw unripe mangoes at your nose just for starters. wai2.gif No offense but the working classes from your country seem prone to berate other nationalities with great pleasure and redundancy. biggrin.png

Hint- constructive of course- maybe the next time you want to call an entire country stupid you wash your mouth out with soap just like your momma would have done. Constructively of coursewai2.gif

Edited by lostoday

I agree with you considering your mentality I think you are doing great just to be able to type. After all you did say criticizing is OK as long as it's constructive. If I were you I'd go back to school and take a course in ethnocentrism and how not to offend people from other cultures and lands. Hint - when you tell people that they all have a very low mentality (both educated and working class) they want to hang you up on a pole and throw unripe mangoes at your nose just for starters. wai2.gif No offense but the working classes from your country seem prone to berate other nationalities with great pleasure and redundancy. biggrin.png

Hint- constructive of course- maybe the next time you want to call an entire country stupid you wash your mouth out with soap just like your momma would have done. Constructively of coursewai2.gif

Like I said before "awa an gies peace"

Of course its still a 3rd World Country having a Military Coup - at average - every 4-5 years as I remember the statistics ...

Just a few Words that should consolidate the position in the 3rd World : Corruption, Koh Tao, RTP, Andy Hall, Kirsty Jones and the list just goes on ....

I like you Mr. Possom I was just trying to make a point. It is not nice or right to call a whole country, educated and not, stupid and expect that not to be a bashing post/thread. My wife is a big girl. Big education, big job, big fist and big heart. If you told her she and everyone else in Thailand had a low mentality she would hit you in the face no matter how big and smart you look.

I like you Mr. Possom I was just trying to make a point. It is not nice or right to call a whole country, educated and not, stupid and expect that not to be a bashing post/thread. My wife is a big girl. Big education, big job, big fist and big heart. If you told her she and everyone else in Thailand had a low mentality she would hit you in the face no matter how big and smart you look.

So ... people with "high mentality" punch people in the face for expressing an opinion. Got it.

blink.png

Mostly "YES".

There are a few areas where they are comparable to a first world country, but very few areas. Maybe medical when it comes to some hospitals and some doctors. I am thoroughly satisfied with the Dental care I get here. Some of the major road are good to drive on in many areas. You can find almost anything here that you can find in a first world country in the bigger cities, Bangkok especially. The list for "YES" that they are still a third world country is much, much bigger.

Yes is it. For many reasons.

Roads and traffic

Look at any utility power pole its a mess of cables and almost always overloaded

Bureaucracy

Food storage - just look at how meat is presented at any market

Building standard or lack theroff

General workmanship on anything is poor, good work is the exception not the norm

In terms of sales, service or anything involving work people are reactive and not proactive

There thats a start.

I still like it here though smile.png

And add to that, rampant, pervasive corruption though all levels of society. The complete inability to maintain a stable government: Third World is being nice. Banana republic? Yep!

Edited by connda

There is a United Nations definition for Third World Countries. You should look it up. Yes, Thailand is a Third World Country as opposed to a Developing Country.

OK Mr Lostoday, I'm glad you like me, but I did not say everyone in Thailand had a low mentality, what I said was the majority of the Thai people have a low mentality, and I'm going to stand by that.

I will put it another way IMO, about 70% of the Thai people have a low mentality. just look at the driving and riding for an example.

Also my wife is just the same as you describe your wife, apart maybe from when you say "big girl" you could mean she is tall, or fat. In my case she is tall.

So ... people with "high mentality" punch people in the face for expressing an opinion. Got it.

blink.png

If you call my momma and poppa and my whole family and all my children stupid what do you think gonna happen?

I don't think a binary answer would be an accurate answer, but if that's your request then I'd say no it's not 3rd world.

We have 1Gbit internet and Lamborghinis, tap water and electricity (and at the same time people living on the street - but then so do UN countries). Okay things could be improved, like reliability of some of the services, quality of some of the roads (i.e. fixing the potholes with something that won't disappear the next time the monsoon season arrives), actual sidewalks without sinkholes. I went for a stroll today and noticed that the nearest main road to me has a completely new surface of tarmac that wasn't there last night. I love how they collect the trash so many times a week and don't fine you GBP200 for putting out the wrong coloured wheely bin on a certain day.

I try to embrace the best of it and roll with the rest of it. We all have our frustration days for sure, but there are other days that make it a pleasure to be here.

Edited by Shiver

Thailand is still very much a third world country and, at this point, is sinking rather than rising to the next level. Some of the things that keep it third world are: very poor educational system, very poor legal system, very poor management at the national level and locally with grossly bloated, corrupt and ineffective bureaucracy, extreme corruption in all areas of government both national and local, military dictatorship as current form of government, poor infrastructure and construction standards in regard to roads, buildings, drinking water, water, electrical, and cable management, local services and maintenance, big gap between how the haves and the have nots are treated in all aspects of life, poor law enforcement everywhere with badly trained, paid, and managed police force, poor tax system, power held by the few rather than the many, and freedoms now being curtailed rather than expanded.

It's as third world as you want it to be. Live in nice area in Bangkok, great restaurants,great pubs,great hospitals, good supermarkets ,good international school for the kid. All my neighbours speak English...safe ( ish) ..convenient. Can deal with the rest..( except the driving!!).

Can you say it a few more times? Maybe I'll get it.

blink.png

OK, it is a Scottish way of saying "get lost", in English it would say "away and give me some peace".cheesy.gif

I would say that was more the Geordie area. From my neck of the woods we have a much more blunt way of putting it, but I can't write it here as they delete expletives smile.png

Edited by Shiver

blink.png

If you call my momma and poppa and my whole family and all my children stupid what do you think gonna happen?

I'd guess if they were of low mentality (instinctual, knee jerk responses) ... they'd punch me in the face.

If they were of a higher mentality...they'd probably ignore me.

Edited by Fullstop

There is a United Nations definition for Third World Countries. You should look it up. Yes, Thailand is a Third World Country as opposed to a Developing Country.

Nope.

http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/policy/wesp/wesp_current/2014wesp_country_classification.pdf

Seriously. It's an outdated term that makes you look completely out of touch.

Yes I am. I thought that was the way it was. I was speaking to a well educated Farang,

The colour of her skin was in what way important to the thread?

What was her nationality, Thai, Polish French, English, etc.?

Where was she educated and to what level?

For all we know she was a redneck hillbilly from Alabama

Sorry, I don't automatically assume white girls are experts, just because they're white!

Oh dear. A touch of misogyny creeping in? I'll have to sool Julia Gillard on to you.