Drilling holes in a tiled wall

sunoco27

I need to drill some holes through my tile for a towel bar in my bathroom.

I have had no problem drilling holes in the non tiled cement walls but how do

you drill into the tile? the drill bit keeps dancing around and I can't get it to start a hole.

Thank You

One way is to make sure hole is to be between tiles - normal bit will work for that (but a chance of chipping tile if not careful). Be sure to turn off hammer drill mode until through the tile. The best idea is to use glass cutting bits (tile bits) shaped like a triangle. Available from Home Pro (expensive) or very cheap on Ebay.http://www.ebay.com/itm/231471887097?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

m7vFDIreqwXWOzCD-3OklQQ.jpg

Edited by lopburi3

These don't work well on granite tiles, by the way. I use one to just make enough of a dent to start and then (carefully) use a brand new good quality masonry drill bit.

Doesn't hurt to put a piece of masking tape on the tile. Helps to stop the drill slipping, thin slow drill to get started.

get a piece of plywood and pre - drill a suitable hole. hold it against the tile and then use a standard masonry drill bit through that hole. start at a slow speed. use a water spray bottle to lightly keep the drill bit wet and cool. after a few moments you will feel it 'drop' through the hardened surface of the tile, after that it's just like drilling into concrete.

These don't work well on granite tiles, by the way. I use one to just make enough of a dent to start and then (carefully) use a brand new good quality masonry drill bit.

Agreed.....To start I use a center punch with just the LIGHTEST of taps to knock a small hole the facia exactly where you want it....Then depending on final hole size you can start with a pilot hole or use your full sized masonary bit....You'll have to lean on it/feel the hsrd resistance then back off - apply - back off - apply pressure to get past the hardened part but easy once you've cleared to drill to the correct depth - I usually mark the drill bit with colored mark to show the stop spot - makes it quicker....

One way is to make sure hole is to be between tiles - normal bit will work for that (but a chance of chipping tile if not careful). Be sure to turn off hammer drill mode until through the tile. The best idea is to use glass cutting bits (tile bits) shaped like a triangle. Available from Home Pro (expensive) or very cheap on Ebay.http://www.ebay.com/itm/231471887097?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

m7vFDIreqwXWOzCD-3OklQQ.jpg

Also available at Global for 40 Baht (for a 8 mm drill bit).

Sophon

NEVER use a center punch on tiles.........Small drill to get through the glaze yes......

I've used that approach for over 40 years without a blow out....Not the automotive type but the type with a sharp tip like a pencil.....With just a tap - works fine.....put a link to You Tube using same method with tapping the bit but he uses Many taps....but he uses tape - something none of us brought up......

NEVER use a center punch on tiles.........Small drill to get through the glaze yes......

I've used that approach for over 40 years without a blow out....Not the automotive type but the type with a sharp tip like a pencil.....With just a tap - works fine.....put a link to You Tube using same method with tapping the bit but he uses Many taps....but he uses tape - something none of us brought up......

Here they don't use tile adhesive, well where I am they don't, they use cement. If there is no cement (air pocket) behind where a centre punch is used, the tile will crack..

That's a good point....I've drilled through more than a few here - must have the tap/touch down just right.....

https://youtu.be/3VEbcfziT2A

Here they don't use tile adhesive, well where I am they don't, they use cement. If there is no cement (air pocket) behind where a centre punch is used, the tile will crack..

just tap it lightly, a few times if necessary, then it will not break the tile

all you need is a small indentation to start the drill

using a small drill for a pilot hole makes it easier

actually I use a nail

But Transam given the number of holes you have drilled I can understand why you would find making a small indentation first would be unnecessary when starting with a small drill. When I am doing a bunch even I just start with a small drill and no indentation on the later ones when I have regained the feel of the drill.

Edited by Dante99

just tap it lightly, a few times if necessary, then it will not break the tile

all you need is a small indentation to start the drill

using a small drill for a pilot hole makes it easier

You don't use a centre punch on tiles.......Gawd 'elp us....I have drilled a zillion holes in tiles whilst in the trade with no problem using my method...rolleyes.gif

But, OP can listen to you eh.....facepalm.gif

We'll all wait for your U-Tube how to video series.....

Tap tap tap on a masonry drill bit and rotate it with your fingers whilst you are gently hitting it. This will break the glaze easily. After this i just hold the drill bit firmly in my hand, no tapping and twist it round to enlarge the mark. After this its ready for the drill gentle all the way. Never done it before? Youtube will show you how. Any Tom Dick or Somchai can put a youtube video up so watch a few of them to get the best advice and tips.

I have never drilled porcelain, but if I did, what I would do is to get a small 4 inch by 4 inch piece of 1/8th inch plywood, and have someone hold that plywood tightly against the tile I was adrilling.

Then I would just drill it, letting the plywood keep things in order, and not let the drill waver in the least.

Take it nice and slow is good advice so you don't wind up cracking nothing.

If you do fracture the tile, then hopefully your landlord will have a spare piece.

Otherwise, it is very difficult to match the exact colors and patterns.

When we bought our condo from "Quality Condos", the developer, we asked him to install the towel racks in our bathroom. Check out their "quality" work.

This is hilarious. Well, only for the rest of us who did not buy any condos from "Quality Condos".

Even if you consider yourself a bad craftsman, if you end up doing things yourself , it will still way better than the workmanship you find here.

When we bought our condo from "Quality Condos", the developer, we asked him to install the towel racks in our bathroom. Check out their "quality" work.

This is hilarious. Well, only for the rest of us who did not buy any condos from "Quality Condos".

Even if you consider yourself a bad craftsman, if you end up doing things yourself , it will still way better than the workmanship you find here.

Since I came here I have learned how to weld, do electrical, concrete work and others various things. All of these turn out better on my first try than what is offered up by the local chungs (handymen). When I built my shed the welding was so bad I had to take over and do it myself, despite having never welded, I did work as a welders helper before (30 years ago though). Anyhow my first welding project was a full roof structure.

It is so easy just use a masonary nail or sharp centre punch, mark the spot and give it a slight tap just enough to get through the glaze then using a masonary bit drill through the tile non hammer mode when you get to the concrete switch to hammer mode, stay away from edge of tiles and joints and not to close to corners

You can drill a hole anywhere you want in the tile.

Just use a variable speed drilling machine, start with a small non masonry drill like 4 -6 mm, Do not use the hammer function in this part. make sure you start slowly and make a small indent in the material, that's all that is needed. Then change to the bigger masonry drill bit and change to hammer. Push the bit hard into the dent before you start drilling, then make a short burst to make sure you got the drilling going in, after that you can fine adjust the position if needed in the beginning of the hole by tilting the drill bit in the direction you want.

Note: the machine must be a low power drilling machine, not one of those huge mastodont machines for construction works.

Edited by AlQaholic

I stick a bit of masking tape on the tile, and start off with a small non masonry drill to make a guide hole, using quite a high speed.

Beware cheap drill bits as they are good for one hole at most.

Obviously hammer turned off. Once through the shiny glaze it is easy. Sometimes there is a wax applied which is where it will slip around.

I.m not going to bore myself to sleep reading all the wild and wooly answers you got, so if I repeat what someone has instructed, my apologies. I have drilled many holes in tile and this is how its done;

Put a once inch square piece of Duct tape on the tile where holes are to be drilled. Use a regular concrete drill bit.

Start with a small bit (pilot bit), drill thru tape and tile with drill set on NONVIBRATING, NON HAMMER mode until you feel the bit hit the concrete. Switch to hammer mode and complete the drilling through the concrete.

repeat this process with the size bit you need.

Pull the tape off and you will have perfect clean holes with no tile chipping. I strongly recommend duct tape because its thicker and peels off easy.

Hold tight , press hard and do it slow .

Correct. Despite some posts suggesting to not use hammer drill mode. Ignore. Use hammer drill with good masonry bit. Best to have a variable speed drill and early doors drill slowly.