What's the Verdict - Windows 10

jimmym40

Win 10 is fine

Yes windows 10 is fine but the Edge browser is another matter, neither Bing or google toolbar work with it which if you are like me an English speaker/reader living in Thailand being unable to translate web pages is a disaster and my banking security software wont work with it either

I understand, but i use Firefox.

My bank back home also say that there use issues And suggest users to use Firefox

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes very good I like it,I would not want to return to 8.1 have not experienced any problems in using it.

Microsoft Edge works well and I use it and prefer it to Google now.

until you need to translate a webpage!!!!!

firefox is fast and stable and translates pretty good as well

That is exactly what I intend to have checked for me.

It is like a woman - very unpredictable.

In the Search (magnifying glass) in Windows 10 type "Task Manager" without the "" and then go to Startup. You will see what is loading when you Boot and can disable it from th Boot. It will still be available but wont load until you need it

Edited by gandalf12

I hate the intrusion, I didn't want to have a Microsoft account but forced to do so. I don't wish to be led by the nose let me chose what I want to do and not just from Microsoft a or b etc.

I assume you use Linux? Microsoft and Apple try to tell you what you can and can not do

I hate the intrusion, I didn't want to have a Microsoft account but forced to do so. I don't wish to be led by the nose let me chose what I want to do and not just from Microsoft a or b etc.

You don't need to have a Microsoft account to install or upgrade to Win 10. You can use a local account as in previous versions.

During installation that option isn't very obvious though and by default requests your MS account info or asks you to create a new account. Further down that page is the option to "skip this step".

In what way were you forced to do so?

Somewhat of a push, coming from 8.1 on my Surface Pro 3. My laptop and desktop will be staying win 7. No advantages to them with win 10. And once again, microsoft have changed things, just to change things.

My BIG issue with win 10 is the privacy thing. Microsoft can, at it's discression, access anything and everything on your computer, including capturing your keystrokes. I am also NOT a fan of the manditory update process. I would give it a while longer until some good privacy utilities arrive on the scene to tame windows 10 privacy issues. Unless, of course, you really want to share everything you do on your computer and online with microsoft, and whoever they sell it on to. Your choice.

I am leaning towards reverting my SP3 back to 8.1.

Me too. I'll be staying with win 8.1 for the very reasons you've highlighted here. Also, 8.1 serves my purpose fully and I do not need anything more. Would have had win7 if I could have got a genuine disc when I bought my PC.

Yes, Microsoft, please take note.....I'm a PC, I neither want nor need your apps.

Very happy thank you and will stay with it.

--------------------------------

Strongly disagree.

It is a typical Microsoft overhyped and unnecessary piece of "male cow fecal material".

I registered for the "free update".....downloaded it and installed it.

After a week I deleted it. as I didn't want it.

Unfortunately I can't get rid of that piece of Microsoft malware.

I've managed to get rid of that blankety-blank icon in my message tray and I'm back to a workable windows 8.1.

I've also blocked all my automatic update notices from Microsoft but I am still getting the objectionable......"Your free windows10 upgrade is ready for download message"

I can't seem to "unregister" my previous "registration"....even though I deleted my windows 10

installation and returned to windows 8.1 two weeks ago.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Very happy thank you and will stay with it.

--------------------------------

Strongly disagree.

It is a typical Microsoft overhyped and unnecessary piece of "male cow fecal material".

I registered for the "free update".....downloaded it and installed it.

After a week I deleted it. as I didn't want it.

Unfortunately I can't get rid of that piece of Microsoft malware.

I've managed to get rid of that blankety-blank icon in my message tray and I'm back to a workable windows 8.1.

I've also blocked all my automatic update notices from Microsoft but I am still getting the objectionable......"Your free windows10 upgrade is ready for download message"

I can't seem to "unregister" my previous "registration"....even though I deleted my windows 10

installation and returned to windows 8.1 two weeks ago.

And I like it also.............strongly disagreeing with you rolleyes.gif

I had issues with FTP and reverted back to 8.1, may try again when they get some of the "kinks" ironed out.

as the saying goes "if it aint broke, dont try to fix it" so staying with what works for me and my needs, unfortunately Win 10 didnt do that.

Heck, Windows XP worked fine for me. I wouldn't have upgraded to 7 even though support was ended, but I got a new computer and they installed Windows 7 even though my plan was to get it with a blank hard drive and install Linux. I've grown to really like Win 7, but may upgrade. If I could go back to Win XP I would, but there's no way to activate it.

Win 10 seems like Win 8.2 to me.

When I got my new laptop about a year and half ago I installed Win 8.1 and liked it just fine after using it for a few weeks (very stable and faster than Win 7) except maybe for how it listed/showed the apps you had on your computer. I waited for Win 8.1 because of all the hate mail that Win 8.0 got....Win 8.1 got rid of many of the major negatives of Win 8.0. But even with the release of Win 8.1 the damage had been done with Win 8.0 and many people just saw Win 8.X as bad, very bad.

Now to me, after using Win 10 for exactly a month now as I installed in on 29 July, I pretty much see it as Win 8.2 but having some teething pains due to some of its supposedly major programming changes.

Meanwhile 10532 is rolling out.....

AUGUST 27, 2015 12:27 PM by Gabe Aul Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10532 for PC

Hi everyone,

We are releasing a new Windows 10 Insider Preview building to the Fast ring today: Build 10532. As always, there are bug fixes and improvements in this build over 10525, but also some new features we are very excited to share with Insiders.

Improved Context Menus

We’ve heard feedback about the consistency of menus within Windows 10, so we’ve made some changes to improve these and give them a modern look at and feel. We are still working on it, but you’ll see some good changes with this build. We’re also further unifying the light and dark theming across the OS and are looking forward to you trying these latest changes and providing additionalfeedback.

PC-Context-Menus.png

Sharing Windows Feedback

The Windows Feedback app will now allow you to easily share your feedback with others.

PC-Share-Feedback-2.png

You have the option to share using any application that supports the Windows Share functionality or get a direct link copied to your clipboard for pasting anywhere you like. We think this will help Insiders more easily share specific feedback and suggestions with other Insiders on Twitter, Insider forum discussions, and directly with our engineers. Naturally we would like to hear your feedback on this new feature as you use it.

And of course, since the Windows Feedback app is a Universal Windows Platform app, it means the next mobile flight will include the ability to share feedback as well. Here is a sneak peek of what that will look like:

Mobile-Share-Feedback-2-576x1024.png

I know many of you are eagerly awaiting a new mobile build. We have found and fixed a few issues that would be a blocker for some Insiders in recent builds in our internal rings, so we haven’t had one we felt was ready to go out to you since 10512. We have some good candidates coming through with those fixes, so after we run them for a while and ensure they are ready for you we’ll get them out. Stay tuned to the Windows Blog or follow me on Twitter for an announcement when we have one.

Also with this build, language packs are available for our supported languages in the Windows Insider program.

Keep an eye out on the Insider Hub

We have some upcoming feature announcements for both PC and mobile that Insiders will get to try out first. Stay tuned for more details soon.

Known Issues
  • Windows Hello face sign-on will not work on this build with some devices; the device can still be unlocked with other methods like pin, password, or fingerprint.
  • As reported by Insiders on the build 10525, 64 bit Google Chrome will crash on launch. Google is aware of the issue. In the meantime their 64 bit Google Chrome Canary build or 32 bit Google Chrome will work on this build.

I hope you enjoy the new build, and please keep sending us feedback on your experience via the Windows Feedback app.

Thanks,
g

UPDATED AUGUST 27, 2015 12:51 PM

Tried to install FreeCell "free" that was part of Win 7, can only do it in Win 10 if you have a MS account.

you can play it as a " guest " ; very nice FreeCell !

I have tow hard disks in my computer, one with Win 7 because there are games which are not compatible with win 10 , and Windows 10

I change the start in the bios, it takes 5 seconds to do it : so far I am satisfied with Win 10 but I don't use Cortana , Edge or other stuff : still the windows 7 way

Its like starting up has gone 3 times as fast, pres on.. hear the beep and there windows 10 is ready (in a few seconds). Probably some extra features on my motherboard that win 10 uses better. I had an ssd already and it was pretty fast but this is amazing. Not that its that important only start my computer once a day.

But there are other features that help people who use a computer for work that make things better. I did close all the privacy stuff as I hate that too.

Its like starting up has gone 3 times as fast, pres on.. hear the beep and there windows 10 is ready (in a few seconds). Probably some extra features on my motherboard that win 10 uses better. I had an ssd already and it was pretty fast but this is amazing. Not that its that important only start my computer once a day.

But there are other features that help people who use a computer for work that make things better. I did close all the privacy stuff as I hate that too.

I don't know what version you were upgrade from but I'll guess it's Win 7. Starting with Win 8 Microsoft redesigned the bootup process and a "fast startup/fast boot" feature was included which allows a computer to boot much faster because Win 8.X and Win 10 basically hibernate/save key "boot/startup files" for the next boot-up vs having to reload the bootup/startup/initialization files from ground zero like Win 7 and earlier systems had to do.

This weblink gives some insight on that fast startup process....it's talking Win 8 but the same applies for Win 10.

I don't know what version you were upgrade from but I'll guess it's Win 7. Starting with Win 8 Microsoft redesigned the bootup process and a "fast startup/fast boot" feature was included which allows a computer to boot much faster because Win 8.X and Win 10 basically hibernate/save key "boot/startup files" for the next boot-up vs having to reload the bootup/startup/initialization files from ground zero like Win 7 and earlier systems had to do.

This weblink gives some insight on that fast startup process....it's talking Win 8 but the same applies for Win 10.

I had win 8.1 not sure maybe i forgot to activate it. But as i had a 9K mother board and expensive I7 processor in the computer the hardware was good. Must just have forgotten to activate it.

In summary, a W 10 user has NOTHING to change to attain a fast boot? ie it is the default?

I did not change a thing, and in my previous win 8.1 it was not as fast as now, quite noticeable. But that could just be me, but I did not change anything or setup anything about bootspeed in win 10.

I had win 8.1 not sure maybe i forgot to activate it. But as i had a 9K mother board and expensive I7 processor in the computer the hardware was good. Must just have forgotten to activate it.

By default Fast Startup" should" be activated. A person can turn it off or on in the Control Panel Power Option settings (see snapshot below)....check to see if the "Turn on fast startup" box is checked....see snapshot below. It can be turned off and on since it can cause some issues on a small number of computers. Like a problem I had before with my Lenovo laptop not completely turning off on occasions...like maybe 5% of the time...I would tell Windows to Turn Off the computer, it would not turn off completely...all running programs would close, Windows would close, the screen go dark, but the Power Button light would not go off...basically the computer was just hanging-up some how and not fully shutting off....kinda like getting to the shutdown finish line but not taking that last step across the finish line.

I did some googling...found other folks with all kinds of different computers (not just Lenovo) had this intermittent problem. One solution was to turn off Fast Startup and then see if the computer fully turns off all the time...and my gosh, mine would then turn off "all" the time when I told it too. By turning off Fast Startup it cleared out a bunch of Fast Startup files that were apparently corrupted (maybe kinda like temporary internet files can cause problems sometimes and you need to delete them). I then turned Fast Startup back on a few days later to see if my problem would return...it didn't. Been fine every since. But maybe every few months I will intentionally turn off Fast Startup just to delete and reestablish new Fast Startup files. Fast Startup can also cause some other issues with certain computers/software like this google list where I googled "problems caused by Window Fast Startup" but fortunately it affects few in strange ways...and sometimes just turning Fast Startup off, turning the computer off, turning the computer back on, turning Fast Startup back on makes the computer happy again...computers are strange, unpredictable animals.

post-55970-0-60826600-1440990742_thumb.j

Thanks PIB, never knew it its good to know even though I now use win 10 and will keep using it your a great source of information together with Richor.

Just to clarify that Fast Startup is in Win 8.0, Win 8.1, and Win 10. Where you say "...even though I now use Win 10..." implies to me maybe you are thinking Fast Startup was only in Win 8.X...it's in Win 10 also. Cheers and thanks.

Thanks PIB, never knew it its good to know even though I now use win 10 and will keep using it your a great source of information together with Richor.

Just to clarify that Fast Startup is in Win 8.0, Win 8.1, and Win 10. Where you say "...even though I now use Win 10..." implies to me maybe you are thinking Fast Startup was only in Win 8.X...it's in Win 10 also. Cheers and thanks.

I am thinking its already activated as its clearly noticeable and the computer boots in seconds, so I don't need to go look for it again. But your right in telling me i might have to look there after I upgrade my backup computer(s)