Thai referendum campaign ban extends to social media, LINE, sms

webfact

Perhaps the good Minister got his numbers slightly crossed, or perhaps the reporters made a slight error in translation.. In the latest article I could find, back in October of last year, the number of LINE USERS in Thailand was 33 million. By now, 40 million users would not seem unreasonable.

Last updated 10/9/14

Read more at http://expandedramblings.com/index.php/line-statistics/3/#VVFd3oLbQQoHY1le.99

That's still a piddling amount of messages with the right software running on an old Cray, as I suspect most countries do for their security, monitoring for "chatter" as they like to say.

I don't see any of the typical hardcore junta sycophants in this thread yet. Perhaps they know they cannot defend the indefensible.

vote YES on this charter, it is the ONLY option to keep our elitist backers in power, there will be no discussion and no quarter given on this.

Saviors of Thailand my white, farang a$$

Those old army people seem to not understand that the people they target with this threat are the ones who understand how to go under the radar by using full encryption services, encrypted mail.

Of course they may have asked the NSA some help

They become plain stupid...before they could hide whatever they want and play their little game while most of the population was kept unaware of everything

Unfortunately now with the internet this kind of hide and seek is not possible anymore and even the people they despise like the isaan people or "red" as they label them are pretty aware of the use of the internet and is also why they are not so docile anymore....

From my experience it is the opposite.....people are starting to communicate more and are seeing through the Thaksin/red/ptp propoganda.

I was not saying they only see the army exactions, but all the colors of the spectrum

Seriously, I am wondering if any of the members will make an attempt to justify or rationalize these restrictions imposed by the Junta. Such an attempt would have to be epic in scope.

6 hours in, 24 posts, and not even a "but Thaksin..." !

You spoke too soon -- the clowns in their minicooper came out in stuttering, monotone force right after you posted it....

I agree, peasants should never be allowed to express opinions.

Opinions are the work of the devil, who allowed them to undermine all those in power. We cannot have such things going on anywhere.

........................"If you express your opinion in a normal way, it’s fine, for example, by expressing opinions on TV shows.”....................

Did the redshirts express their opinion "in a normal way", via Peace TV, or in an abnormal way ? Just wondering because they were shut down at one stage.

I thought they were allowed to "fire up" again, waiting on a court ruling on broadcasting regulator NBTC. biggrin.png

How on earth are they going to enforce that? I must use Line a dozen times a day - is there someone looking at my texts, and the cute chiwouha stickers my daughter sends me?

He must be mighty bored!

On a more sinister note, could this be a pretext to close down social media?

DID you register your sim card? if yes then not to difficult to track you down with all your info now recorded via your mobile...

So now the gov want to stop the population from commenting on the constitution by criminalizing it. only people on the TV can comment their thoughts.

Why are they so frightened?

When are the thought police coming?

They are frightened because self serving corrupt politicians spend loads of money on people who can spread propaganda fairly well... Thailand has been on the the brink of civil war just because of this. It is understandable that they are trying to avoid this.

................"on people who can spread propaganda fairly well"...............

Does that include people who are employed to post propaganda on internet forums ? I heard there is a bit of that going on ! whistling.gif

I feel like the Thai government would love to close down any kind of media, only their own press officer is in charge to say anything to the public and they sure like close all kind of press, news and only government announcements are allowed: well on the way to free press and democracy like you find in North Korea......

Those old army people seem to not understand that the people they target with this threat are the ones who understand how to go under the radar by using full encryption services, encrypted mail.

Of course they may have asked the NSA some help

They become plain stupid...before they could hide whatever they want and play their little game while most of the population was kept unaware of everything

Unfortunately now with the internet this kind of hide and seek is not possible anymore and even the people they despise like the isaan people or "red" as they label them are pretty aware of the use of the internet and is also why they are not so docile anymore....

From my experience it is the opposite.....people are starting to communicate more and are seeing through the Thaksin/red/ptp propoganda.

From my experience? LOL

you jest it's the polar opposite seeing through the Junta propaganda. I wondered how long it would take for a junta fan to bring up...... Thaksinnnnnnnnnnnnn what a joke

Edited by LannaGuy

I feel like the Thai government would love to close down any kind of media, only their own press officer is in charge to say anything to the public and they sure like close all kind of press, news and only government announcements are allowed: well on the way to free press and democracy like you find in North Korea......

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving North Korea approaches."

Godwin's Law #2 clap2.gif