kitchen tap retaining nut

beechbum

The kitchen tap's come loose and it's due to the fact that on most of the taps here they use a plastic retaining nut rather than steel or s/steel, anyone seen any with a steel nut anywhere?

Already checked HP, HW's and the building supply place on the bypass, was hoping to avoid the place at and around SB design square but may have to go there if all else fails.

Cheers in advance.

Try a local shophouse type place - they often have much larger selection of stock than chains. Do you have a lock washer to place above the nut? Plastic should work fine if installed tight (but that may take some adjustments with tap being the turn lever to make tight if this is a single shaft fitting).

If you want a brass nut make sure you can hold it/have wrench - they are really hard to find and some will still not fit.

Put a drop or two of all purpose adhesive or caulk (most 100% acrylic caulks will stick to just about anything) where the retaining nut is snuggest, screw on the nut and wait the required dry time. Won't last forever, but beats the heck out of re-tightening every few weeks.

Or, just a bead of acrylic caulk on top of the retaining nut will do.

Edited by Shot

Try a local shophouse type place - they often have much larger selection of stock than chains. Do you have a lock washer to place above the nut? Plastic should work fine if installed tight (but that may take some adjustments with tap being the turn lever to make tight if this is a single shaft fitting).

If you want a brass nut make sure you can hold it/have wrench - they are really hard to find and some will still not fit.

Yeah a brass nut would be spot on, there's a few small hardware's near us so will give that a shot,

Also yes I have a lock washer between the nut and the sink.

Cheers.

Edited by beechbum

I've had the same problem.

Buy one of these.

b413b2007dbfa8a5ba6b2755931b1b15.jpg

I think its 1/2 inch thread and cut it down with a hacksaw. 5 minute job. Problem solved permanently.

I know exactly what you mean regard the plastic nuts spiting and couldn't find a replacement metal one either.

Buy one of these.

I think its 1/2 inch thread and cut it down with a hacksaw. 5 minute job. Problem solved permanently.

I know exactly what you mean regard the plastic nuts spiting and couldn't find a replacement metal one either.

That's a good solution, but most taps I have come across are bigger the 1/2 inch. Sure the water fitting is usually 1/2 inch, but the tap holding nut must be more like 3/4 inch and the fitting can be bought in 3/4 inch size.

Actually I do not buy expensive models but all I have seen use the same size thread from water connection to brass/plastic tightening nut (as below) - he is talking about cutting the pipe section off and just using the nut part by my reading.

3178-20150225182610-110204.jpg

Buy one of these.

Bloody excellent idea,Im off to the hardware store(with the tap so i can get the size and thread spot on),

Cheers muchly.

Most Thai kitchen taps are cheap. Buy a new one.

Are you suggesting it's the nut that's retaining the kitchen tap?

The OP is: "The kitchen tap's come loose and it's due to the fact that on most of the taps here they use a plastic retaining nut rather than steel or s/steel, anyone seen any with a steel nut anywhere?"

Most Thai kitchen taps are cheap. Buy a new one.

Are you suggesting it's the nut that's retaining the kitchen tap?

The OP is: "The kitchen tap's come loose and it's due to the fact that on most of the taps here they use a plastic retaining nut rather than steel or s/steel, anyone seen any with a steel nut anywhere?"

That "wooshing" noise you hear is my post going over your head. :)

• 1 month later...

I installed a new faucet a couple of weeks ago and that cheap plastic nut that holds it cracked already. I went back to Rawai Hardware on Viset and showed them what I wanted. She had a guy who worked there go and get me a brass nut with a flange, made just for this purpose. 40 Baht. I guess it's better than having to saw off a pipe!

post-44146-0-33147500-1445680810_thumb.j

Some taps are easier to replace than others - I have several bathroom sink taps without enough room to really hold nut as those that cut marble counters tend to be conservative and the thickness makes access very hard. In those cases buying same type of tap and replacement of only the valve can become an attractive option (although expect value only could be found at some places). But normal SS kitchen sink should be easier (and many times it is a wall tap).