She Cannot Read Or Write!

Graemej100

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's utterly wrong and an unnecessary slur on Thai people. The actual literacy rates are:

Male: 95.6%

Female: 91.5%

Source: CIA World Factbook.

Quiet you... only lostoday know thai people!

Lostoday. 30% is probably about right, but AyG, to say males are 95.6% and females 91.5% illiterate, absolutely not.

Get yourself a new pair of glasses. I said those percentages were literate - not illiterate.

And no, Lostday is hopelessly wide of the mark. Despite the lack of a reading culture, Thai people are highly literate.

ONE-THIRD of 15-year-old Thais are "functionally illiterate", the World Bank said yesterday, and suggested that the country reform its education system partly through merging and optimising the networks of more than 20,000 "non-isolated" schools nationwide. -

Finance Minister Sommai Phasee, who presided over the event, said he very much agreed with the World Bank that education and human resources were critical to the future of the Thai economy and its political stability. -

http://news.asiaone....says-world-bank

You can apologize if you like. wai2.gif

You'll find most local governments have programs for adults on the weekends. My wife and some of her friends went there to learn Cambodian and Chinese...more for a laugh than anything. That said, if they complete the whole course (assuming they actually study) they will learn and then get a certificate. Not being able to read Thai is a hardcore case for a 35-year-old, so she has her work cut out for her. Ask around about the government weekend programs. The one my wife attended was free, so I assume most of them are. Not sure, though.

I know the OP limited his request for help to identifying resources to help a Thai person obtain literacy, and I apologize in advance for commenting beyond the scope of this request.

However, the OP's comments about helping a Thai woman complete a visa application, and that she would soon be relocating to Jomtiem caused me to think that the OP may be romantically involved with this Thai woman. If this is an incorrect assumption, please read no further.

If this is the case, however, I just want to point out to the OP that this woman's illiteracy will really impair communication across a language barrier. Say for example, she tried to tell the OP a word which she knew how to pronounce in Thai but could neither read nor write, and the OP did not recognize. The only way I can think that she would be able to communicate what she was trying to say would be to find a Thai person who could verbally translate the word for the OP, or who could spell out the word in written Thai and then have someone look the word up in a Thai-English dictionary. In real life, that is not going to always be available. Effectively, she is going to need to learn to read and write Thai AND learn a second language; a pretty daunting task.

I'm just saying that even under the best of circumstances, communication across a language barrier can be challenging. Trying to do that when one partner is functionally illiterate in their native language would have to be enormously challenging, and I, for one, would give serious consideration to whether I might be biting off more than I could chew before jumping into a relationship under those circumstances.

But I commend the OP for trying to help his (girl)friend become literate.

Edited by Gecko123

Absolutely nothing to apologise for. If you can't tell the difference between "ONE-THIRD of 15-year-old Thais are 'functionally illiterate', the World Bank said yesterday" and the much higher literacy figures I quoted (based upon all ages), then you're failing to appreciate that people older than 15 are able to continue learn their language.

Oddly enough, this topic is all about someone older than 15 wanting to become literate.

Absolutely nothing to apologise for. If you can't tell the difference between "ONE-THIRD of 15-year-old Thais are 'functionally illiterate', the World Bank said yesterday" and the much higher literacy figures I quoted (based upon all ages), then you're failing to appreciate that people older than 15 are able to continue learn their language.

Oddly enough, this topic is all about someone older than 15 wanting to become literate.

I think that since education has improved since I got here in the 1960's we can assume that 15 year olds are more functionally literate than the older generation. Unless you want to take the position that education in the 60's 70's and 80's was better than today.

At 15 literacy is already determined.

ok here it is, If you really want your illiterate gf to read and write .

My first question is will she stay with you after she learns this from you?

If you believe this to be true then do the following

register here with learning School called Kumon to study English see attached link http://th.kumonglobal.com/page.jsp?id=1039&version=eth

This course is absolutely perfect and starts from Kindergarden all the way to 2nd year uni or perhaps year 12 for some.

its based on repetition daily . you only progress to next level after exams , Opt to do the work at home and just visit the centre for exams (your choice)

I put my kids through this they completed year 12 when they in year 7 .

after 2 years your ex will probably speak perfect english(maybe) but definately in 1 month she will pick it up.

Its a lot of work, so will she stay with you after she learns.

Good luck

OP...

When I read the header of your post I initially thought...not another one, why don't you teach her.

However after reading your post I realise her deficency in her native language as far as reading

& writing are concerned is her downfall, not another language.

I am in agreement with member Mousehound, post #23. Why not both of you take lessons together?

It will be a win-win deal for both of you. Then when she get's proficient in reading & writing Thai &

when she feels comfortable...you can start teaching her English...simple at first. Don't rush her.

This is a long process with headaches included...but the two of you should be able to see it through.

Good luck & I hope it works out well for both of you folks.

What does this mean? It seems to suggest that a 16, 17, 18 and above cannot become literate which is obviously nonsense.

It means, if you are going to learn how to read and write you have done so by 15 years of age or conversely if you have not learned by 15 years of age you probably will not.

I know two quite well known and wealthy local Thai females who cannot read or write, it's not at all unusual.

Yes, so do I, there are many Thais who finish school after Prathom classes. That's about twelve years old.

Poppycock! Thais may get a rather poor education when it comes to critical thinking, but even in the rather remote rural village where I maintain a home, the vast majority of kids can read and write basic Central Thai. There are few districts that lack a primary school. In the more remote districts up north the Border Patrol runs schools.

It means, if you are going to learn how to read and write you have done so by 15 years of age or conversely if you have not learned by 15 years of age you probably will not.

There is some evidence that one must learn a language before a certain critical age, but there is no evidence that you can not learn to read and write at an older age. There are countless examples out there. That most people who are illiterate as adults do not later become literate is mostly a function of opportunity.

Depend on how much you are willing to spend.

To learn "basics" and in an accelerated manner you need a PRIVATE TEACHER.

Look into FB Page: Items for sale in Pattaya, there's a lady doing "private lessons"

English & Thai at a rate of THB 350.- p/hr . I think if you can afford - do it this way.

In 3 months and depending on how many hours p/day , you can see result.

Good luck. you're NOT the only one facing this problem , having Thai partner

we all have faced this problem one way or another .

I realize she is not a Pattaya bar girl but there is a school there that helps women from Pattaya learn all the basic skills.

I think reading and writing are included. I'm sure someone from the Pattaya forum would know.

I can't remember what the place is called (hopefully someone else can) but it's on Naklua Rd. Soi 25, some 200 in. See it here:

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.9564491,100.8925161,3a,75y,69.79h,82.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sESziY8-rfo63rZoVSvAvBw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en

It's basically a Christian place who help ladies learn English & a bunch of other (social) things - real nice. I brought a lady there who couldn't read & write (nor English), and they taught her the read & write bit! Full success.

Fountain of Life Women Centre Pattaya - they even have there own web site

https://folwomencenter.wordpress.com/practical-information/

A number of Thai ladies from outside their original target demographic seem to use it to improve their English.

A knew a lady in Pattaya who could not add nor subtract in addition to not being able to read or write. A friend of mine befriended her and taught her to add and subtract and she went to school to learn how to read and write. I don't know what her early life was like or where she was from in Thailand.

In the 70's my father (a doctor) had many patients who could not read. (most were First Nations)

He did all he could to encourage them to take classes and he kept books in his waiting room

specifically to help. If you only read the front section of the paper daily (or as often as possible)

you will be a much better informed and knowledgeable person.

In the 70's my father (a doctor) had many patients who could not read. (most were First Nations)

He did all he could to encourage them to take classes and he kept books in his waiting room

specifically to help. If you only read the front section of the paper daily (or as often as possible)

you will be a much better informed and knowledgeable person.

but a much worse upset/depressive person as well

A knew a lady in Pattaya who could not add nor subtract in addition to not being able to read or write. A friend of mine befriended her and taught her to add and subtract and she went to school to learn how to read and write. I don't know what her early life was like or where she was from in Thailand.

"don't know what her early life was like or where she was from in Thailand..."

if a thai, (because a lot of ladies working in pattaya are NOT thai) , her early life and where she came from should has been working in the (rice) fields for a pitance in Issaan since she was young (8/9 years old) ... it's my bet

I agree that the prohibition against volunteer workers teaching these skills is not well thought out. I do not think such would put many Thai Nationals out of a job. If the 30% figure is anywhere near accurate it would seem they are not performing the job well in any case.
Literacy volunteers here in the US do a good job. People who want to teach do a better job of it than people who just want a teaching job, IMO.
I will be in BKK from 18 September, and would like to get a start on learning Thai, both spoken and written. My gf says she will teach me, but has a more than full time job for at least the next few months. If I could get a start and get the more boring (for her) "Dick and Jane" type elements sorted I think it would be well.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I agree that the prohibition against volunteer workers teaching these skills is not well thought out. I do not think such would put many Thai Nationals out of a job. If the 30% figure is anywhere near accurate it would seem they are not performing the job well in any case.

Literacy volunteers here in the US do a good job. People who want to teach do a better job of it than people who just want a teaching job, IMO.

I will be in BKK from 18 September, and would like to get a start on learning Thai, both spoken and written. My gf says she will teach me, but has a more than full time job for at least the next few months. If I could get a start and get the more boring (for her) "Dick and Jane" type elements sorted I think it would be well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

i think the best way to learn thai is to go to school with the children ... must not be shy and i don't know wich school in bangkok would accept it, but i suppose it can

You'd be surprised how many older Thais are in this predicament. My mother in law is one of them. Illiteracy is a problem even in the Western World. I remember when I was doing my basic traing in the British Army in the early 60's, of a squad of 22 men only about 7 could read and write. I used to make my beer money from the others reading their girlfriends letters and then writing a reply.

Persevere with your lady. If she's determined it shouldn't be too difficult.

The seven individuals were presumably in the Officer Corp.

Let her go back to where she is from. I am sure she was fine/happy there. You are introducing her to a place where she will always be at a disadvantage and will be looked d own upon by her fellow Thais. Let her go back and find someone else for yourself.

North Star Library run by Father Ray runs Thai lessons for English speakers several times a week and at different class levels at less than 100bht per lesson.

The college Naklua Soi 23 is for female only. On the first day the student sits and evaluation study and then placed in what class will advantage her most and improve her confidence. My girl needed help with writing in Thai but then progressed to the stage of her writing in English - which is neater than mine.

What does this mean? It seems to suggest that a 16, 17, 18 and above cannot become literate which is obviously nonsense.

So if at 70 you wish to read, write and speak ANY other language you will be unable to as at 15 years old your literacy is already determined?

Really?

I just want to say thanks to help I've been able to get from posting this query. It's been a great response and I've gotten so many ideas from it. Thanks for your comments and, especially, from the support some of you have expressed. It's so very heartening to have that. I didn't realise that this is not an isolated problem. I keep trying to understand what it must be like not to be able to read or write your native language. I can't.
(removed)
Thanks again to everyone - except the dickheads.

Edited by petercool
removed flame comments