Call for stricter moves on Nigerian drug traffickers

Lite Beer

I sincerely hope that no one is thinking that every person from Nigeria, with a population in excess of 170 million, is involved in narcotic trafficking, a few bad apples..

Every Nigerian that received their visa from the Thai Embassy in Nigeria has had to provide the clearance letter from the National Drug Law Agency, this is a document that the Nigerian government clearly instructs the Thai Embassy to check before issuing a visa to the Nigerian.

Even a recommendation to issue a visa from the Thai Ministry of Interior, to the Thai Embassy in Nigeria, will not override that requirement.

An organisation which, if you are to believe Wikipedia, is not exactly squeaky clean!

Easy fix.

Deport all who can not prove they have a legal reason to be here, and legal means of support while here.

Do extensive background checks on those wanting to enter the country and do the above mentioned checks on them.

Thailand is a magnet for Nigerian drug dealers and con artists.

I met a Nigerian who told me his brother convinced him to come here and sell drugs.

While in flight to Thailand, his brother was arrested and is now in prison.

The man decided to become an English teacher instead and scams Thai women, young and old, the for extra "benefits"" they can provide him.

This needs to be stopped.

Fair enough...but why just target Nigerians, shouldn't these rules be applied across the board for any one who wants to stay long term ?

Wow, really the first positive thing I have seen in the press lately. I have seen these fools in BKK, Pattaya and Phuket, doing whatever they want, and their slave looking Thai women, that follow them around reluctantly as they do as they please. Personally after three years of living here and seeing this never ending crap going on, it is in my opinion way over due. There are plenty of ways to die in Thailand and drugs and traffickers should have been the governments first agenda to rid the country of this Vermin.

Wow, really the first positive thing I have seen in the press lately. I have seen these fools in BKK, Pattaya and Phuket, doing whatever they want, and their slave looking Thai women, that follow them around reluctantly as they do as they please. Personally after three years of living here and seeing this never ending crap going on, it is in my opinion way over due. There are plenty of ways to die in Thailand and drugs and traffickers should have been the governments first agenda to rid the country of this Vermin.

Thought the discussion was Nigerians ?.....not pompous old fat farangs ? whistling.gif

Edited by Soutpeel

Easy fix.

Deport all who can not prove they have a legal reason to be here, and legal means of support while here.

Do extensive background checks on those wanting to enter the country and do the above mentioned checks on them.

Thailand is a magnet for Nigerian drug dealers and con artists.

I met a Nigerian who told me his brother convinced him to come here and sell drugs.

While in flight to Thailand, his brother was arrested and is now in prison.

The man decided to become an English teacher instead and scams Thai women, young and old, the for extra "benefits"" they can provide him.

This needs to be stopped.

Fair enough...but why just target Nigerians, shouldn't these rules be applied across the board for any one who wants to stay long term ?

Yes, they should be applied for anyone who wants to stay, even short term.

Thailand is way to lax about who they permit into the country.

Good, honest people would have no problem passing background checks and proving means of support.

Thailand would be a better place without the imported trash that lies to get in, and stay here.

Might it be better to go after corrupt cops (and others) on the drug dealers' payroll as a first step? Again, as with most problems here, corruption is significant factor.

Until the 'government' is serious about cracking down on all forms of corruption (really cracking down), nothing will ever change.

How about stricter laws for ALL nationalities????

Incredible.

I hope it was a translation thing...something like, "We need to toughen up the law, because these Nigerians, for instance, are getting quite cunning:.

Let's not get all starry eyed and PC now. I'll let you off if you're a newbie but if not let me educate you, there is a large presence of African male folk -- chiefly Nigerian -- in the Sikandvomit area of Bkk that are notorious for plying drugs. Sure, other nationalities are at it, too, but it is right in your face and blatantly obvious among this group and the authorities darn well know it. It's not about singling anyone group out, it is what it is.

The naivety one reads on ThaiVisa these days is quite incredible. The biggest proportion of drug dealers in Thailand, by an incalculable majority, are Thais. Remove all the drug related criminals from Thai jails and they'd all be less than half full. 100 black guys, in total, are in Thai jails on drug related charges (and I'll bet they are not all Nigerians) and you lot, in agreement with this country's growing xenophobic attitude to all its woes, want to ban all black guys even getting off the plane here.

A lot of these guys around Sukhumvit are former militia from places such a Sierra Leone, Liberia and Republic of Congo. They are under indictment both in their home countries and by some by the international war crimes agencies..

Often, they enter on "rented" or stolen passports...then they ditch them. It is very hard for Thailand to deport them if they can't determine their true identity, nationality or the country they entered Thailand from. They can't just incarcerate them all...cost money and would cause international criticism.

Five or six years ago Thailand had more than 300 "Nigerians" in jail. When they did a big oil/rice deal with Nigeria, repatriating the majority of them was part of the deal.

Edited by dddave

The naivety one reads on ThaiVisa these days is quite incredible. The biggest proportion of drug dealers in Thailand, by an incalculable majority, are Thais. Remove all the drug related criminals from Thai jails and they'd all be less than half full. 100 black guys, in total, are in Thai jails on drug related charges (and I'll bet they are not all Nigerians) and you lot, in agreement with this country's growing xenophobic attitude to all its woes, want to ban all black guys even getting off the plane here.

Hmmmmm...we already know the biggest proportion of drug dealers in Thailand are Thai drug dealers while that fact is more than obvious to everyone.

However, the article is about further cracking down on Nigerian drug traffickers in particular. ...not Thai drug traffickers in particular.

No one is saying all Blacks guys should be banned rather they are in agreement that the Nigerians, in particular, and the west Africans in general should be far more scrutinized concerning the fact that far too many of them are involved directly or indirectly with narcotics trafficking and a number of other illegal activities while the situation is growing worse ...not better ...while Thailand has a growing number of narcotics traffickers and scam artists in general basing their operations out of Thailand.

Are the Nigerians the only foreign nationals involved in such nefarious criminal enterprises?

Of course not...but their numbers are rising more so than other Nationals and when the police begin to crack down on their drug trading activities they learn there is far more going on than meets the eye....so they have decided to further scrutinize Nigerian nationals and for good reason....mainly because all too many Nigerians ( as in not all of them ..but far too many of them ) are involved in illegal enterprises and criminal activities and in particular ...illicit narcotics trafficking in and out of Thailand and or sell their drugs on the street and in plain public view.

Near everyone knows if you want to buy some drugs on the streets of Bangkok you go to the Sukhumvite area and ask the Black guys....while near anyone of them you would or could ask will assist you to get what you want.

Obviously all to many of them are not trying to hide the fact that they deal in drugs while we can only surmise that they believe they are above the law and or they think that their narcotics trafficking enterprises are perfectly OK while they should be free to sell what ever they want in Thailand while they obviously do not fear the laws and or the consequences of smuggling narcotics in and out of Thailand or fear the laws when openly selling their illegal and harmful products on the streets of Bangkok.

Would you rather the Thai police and the authorities and or any government administration presently in power ignore them and let then continue to do what ever they please???

Cheers

If it such a huge problem, why are there only 100 in jail? (Just kidding... I think I already know the answer!)

The figure may be wrong. In 2014 it was claimed that there were over 500 Nigerians in Thai prisons (http://www.thaiprisonlife.com/news/over-500-nigerians-in-thai-prisons/), equivalent to roughly 1 in 5 Nigerians in the country being behind bars (http://www.punchng.com/news/20-of-nigerians-in-thailand-in-jail/).

I sincerely hope that no one is thinking that every person from Nigeria, with a population in excess of 170 million, is involved in narcotic trafficking, a few bad apples..

Every Nigerian that received their visa from the Thai Embassy in Nigeria has had to provide the clearance letter from the National Drug Law Agency, this is a document that the Nigerian government clearly instructs the Thai Embassy to check before issuing a visa to the Nigerian.

Even a recommendation to issue a visa from the Thai Ministry of Interior, to the Thai Embassy in Nigeria, will not override that requirement.

Your figure of 170 million is relevant to ... just exactly nothing!

The entire population of Nigeria doesn't visit Thailand. What would be interesting to know is out of the however many Nigerians who visit Thailand, what percentage are involved in the illegal activities. I'm inclined to think it's relatively high, but of course we can't know this because to even try and collect the data would have the buttonheads screaming "racist!" . The NDLA thing sounds downright heartwarming, but I'm sure it can be bought out of, that is if there aren't enough volunteers who've never been caught and without a record (yet) standing by.

Vice did a show on the Bangkok Hilton and featured a few white guys. However, there was a disproportionately high number of Nigerians in the background. They did some interviews and they were all in for drug dealing. No jobs, just total losers who brought their road show here. Let's face it, they are easy to spot, easy to clean off the streets so the Thais have no excuses.