NCPO 'mea culpa' over using wrong photo in bomb case

webfact

NCPO 'mea culpa' over using wrong photo in bomb case
PRAVIT ROJANAPHRUK
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- NATIONAL Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) spokesman Colonel Winthai Suvari has admitted that his staff mistakenly broadcast the wrong photograph - what appeared to be a bomb-filled vest - when he announced on Saturday night the arrest of the foreign suspect allegedly involved in the deadly Erawan Shrine bombing.

Winthai said the photograph had nothing to do with the suspect, who was next to the spokesman when the announcement was made.

He assured The Nation in a telephone interview that the suspect would not be tortured while in military custody for seven days - a timeframe in accordance with NCPO regulations. The Bangkok blast on August 17 killed 20 people and injured over a hundred.

"The picture was not related to the [arrest] incident. Perhaps the wrong picture was chosen," he said, adding that his staff has many pictures in their computers and it was simply a mistake. "I would like to ask for forgiveness on this."

Late on Saturday via a tweet, the police spokesman's team urged those spreading the photo on social media to stop, "because it may cause concerns in society and is illegal under the Computer Crimes Act."

The BBC's Southeast Asian correspondent, Jonathan Head, yesterday tweeted that the image can be traced back to the website of the US Transportation Security Administration.

In relation to his reassurance that the suspect will not be tortured, Winthai said: "The state will not gain anything [by doing that]. Anything that is not in accordance with the law will not be done.

"The suspect has the right to remain silent until the matter reaches the court. It's not necessary to coerce [the suspect] for facts."

It is thought the 28-year-old suspect could be Turkish.

Winthai said the authorities were still trying to determine his nationality, adding that he did not know if the Turkish embassy had sent anyone to help with the verification process.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/NCPO-mea-culpa-over-using-wrong-photo-in-bomb-case-30267791.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-31

So someone at the government Google image searched a picture of a bombs vest to be nationally broadcast and now the authorities see threatening to punish people sharing it. This place is run by absolute clowns. I'd laugh it it wasn't such a heinous crime.

Are they going to punish their staff? Or admit to some embellishment on their part?

Pigs will sooner fly.

Take,

""The picture was not related to the [arrest] incident. Perhaps the wrong picture was chosen," he said, adding that his staff has many pictures in their computers and it was simply a mistake. "I would like to ask for forgiveness on this.""

AND,

"The BBC's Southeast Asian correspondent, Jonathan Head, yesterday tweeted that the image can be traced back to the website of the US Transportation Security Administration"

together, and you have to draw the conclusion that they are trying to pin this (the bombing) on the guy. To post to media stock photos from overseas agencies of "incriminating evidence", is to say they actually have nothing and are trying to artificially create a picture that they (the police) want to be true, but isn't.

If this had happened in the West,especially the U.S.,an even

moderately good lawyer,would get the case dismissed,as any

other evidence could not be trusted.

regards Worgeordie

Well, yes, they could in Thailand, too, if it were evidence. But it's not. It's photos off the iPad of a spokesman, who doesn't even have the right to hold evidence.

That doesn't make it less stupid, and I would love to see this ridiculous man go to jail for computer crimes. But the point is he doesn't have ANY evidence. He's just showing a bunch of photos - legally, and in fact.

So, the authorities broadcast a wrong photograph, and now warn the public not to share the photo as it may be considered computor crime!!....Are they serious?!

Unfortunately, YES they are!

Impossible, unless the NCPO is prosecuted for computer crimes law violation.

regards Worgeordie

Yes.
But that's not necessarily the good example. U.S. are world champions of judicial errors causing the release of real criminals.

the police spokesman's team urged those spreading the photo on social media to stop, "because it may cause concerns in society and is illegal under the Computer Crimes Act."

The police spread it first, which is illegal under the Computer Crimes Act.

So, the authorities broadcast a wrong photograph, and now warn the public not to share the photo as it may be considered computor crime!!....Are they serious?!

Unfortunately, YES they are!

LOL, you beat me to it. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Don't criticize the junta because.....Thaksin!

regards Worgeordie

Not true, Worgy. Recall CNN broadcasting footage of "Palestinians celebrating" the day after after 9/11? Seemed OK at the time, to make a message that they wanted to make, yet the footage was years old, and of celebrations for something entirely unconnected.

regards Worgeordie

Not true, Worgy. Recall CNN broadcasting footage of "Palestinians celebrating" the day after after 9/11? Seemed OK at the time, to make a message that they wanted to make, yet the footage was years old, and of celebrations for something entirely unconnected.

CNN are a news agency and not the spokesmen for the government like the NCPO, so completely different. That doesn't mean that there have never been 'wag the dog'. Just look at the first Iraqi invasion.smile.png

Edited by Laughing Gravy

I think it hints at a frame up, but gives no opportunity fof a conclusion.

This will now be the permanent policy for this do-nothing corrupt government.

Actually, it always has been their policy.

Always will be.

Always.

Amen.

But....Thaksin!!!

The BBC's Southeast Asian correspondent, Jonathan Head, yesterday tweeted that the image can be traced back to the website of the US Transportation Security Administration.

I wonder if Jonathan Head will get arrested and deported for this.

The BBC's Southeast Asian correspondent, Jonathan Head, yesterday tweeted...

What is the link to that tweet or to Jonathan Head's Twitter account? I can't find it.

P.S. I think I got it now: https://twitter.com/pakhead?lang=en. And this is the link to the tweet in question: https://twitter.com/pakhead/status/637801395542888448?lang=en

Edited by Puccini

regards Worgeordie

It's even worse. After the incompetence mess, i don't know if i should believe anything in this case. Who knows if they only found some scapegoats. What a chaos. Completely messed up.