Riding on Malaysian motorways

recom273

I will be popping down to Penang for the forthcoming weekend.

I have never used the toll motorway to get to Penang, usually I use the back roads or just check out the hills and lakes just over the border or take the slow route through alor setar.

I gather riding is toll free ( apart from the Penang bridge ) but is there some kind of bike lane at the booths or do I take a ticket and hand it over at the exit.

Is there anything else I should know regarding motorway rules, or is pretty much the same as UK motorway rules ?

I have my 5 year ticket, the bike has already got Malaysian insurance and a ICP from a previous visit.

There are bike lanes at the tollbooths and it's free to pass for motorbikes. Have a nice ride and the tempo is quite high on

the motorways so always have an eye in the rear mirror.

Nice one .. So , judging by the speed and distance covered by Malay bikers, I presume that I'm ok to use all the lanes without fear of a fine ?

I've ridden down to KL several times, never been stopped using outside lanes etc, police have even waved us passed many times when we sit behind them at the speed limits. There is always a small motorbike lane about 200 yards'ish before the tolls, i missed one or two first time round but you can still go through on the left lane without stopping.

AJ is right about the speed, been overtaken a few times by cars doing 200+, so keep an eye on your mirrors!

There are speed cameras but few and far between, I have been fined by a mobile unit after a letter arrived in the post (was living in KL at the time,), complete with a photo.

Generally the driving is fast on the highways, the above advice from other posters is good.

Have a good time

There are speed cameras but few and far between, I have been fined by a mobile unit after a letter arrived in the post (was living in KL at the time,), complete with a photo.

Generally the driving is fast on the highways, the above advice from other posters is good.

Have a good time

I see the speed limit is 110 or 70 mph ..