Thai college teacher and convicted British sex offender dies in Bangkok hospital

webfact

Thai College Teacher and Convicted British Sex Offender Dies in Bangkok Hospital

BANGKOK – Stephen David Grant a UK National who was jailed for sex crimes against children has died in Thailand where he had been working at Assumption Thonburi College in Bangkok.

Stephen David Grant a former Mirfield man collapsed on August 25 and died in hospital in Bangkok.

How he managed to land a job at a top private school in Thailand even though a British court had banned him from contact with children is not sitting well with Thai Authorities.

Grant is thought to have got the post at the Assumption Thonburi College were he taught English on the high school level. It is understood he had used the name David Grant, rather than Stephen.

Details of his past only came to light after he died.

Former teaching colleague Ken Glickman, who knew nothing of his past, discovered the sordid background after speaking to Grant’s mother in West Yorkshire. She is now arranging for his body to be flown home.

Mr Glickman said: “He was a phoney, a fraud.

“I had never doubted what he said and saw what an excellent teacher he was, but now know he tricked his way into the school.

Full storyhttp://www.chiangraitimes.com/thai-college-teacher-and-convicted-british-sex-offender-dies-in-bangkok-hospital.html

-- CHIANGRAI TIMES 2015-09-01

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sex offender and disgraced teacher Stephen Grant dies in Thailand — where he had been working at a school
BY NEIL ATKINSON

Colleague tells how sex offender tricked his way into school post

HUDDERSFIELD: -- A man who was jailed for sex crimes against children has died in Thailand – where he had been working in a school.

Former Mirfield man Stephen David Grant collapsed on August 25 and died in hospital in Bangkok, it has emerged,.

And a colleague has now told how the former Mirfield town councillor managed to land a job at a top private school in Thailand even though a British court had banned him from contact with children.

Full storyhttp://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/sex-offender-disgraced-teacher-stephen-9960754

-- The Huddersfield Daily Examiner 2015-09-01

They never learn. It's a serious cause for concern.

Instead of cracking down on the foam car-key ornaments, which are stupid but harmless, even if they fell off. Why not use those police time to visit the ministries of Education and Labor and implement a checking system for every teacher (yes including Thai teachers) and a time limit for every teacher to comply and be police checked.

Bar any teachers with sex offences and violence offences

No check=no job.

Sure its a lengthy process, but then its about protecting the children.

Also suspend the license of any schools found to be employing teachers without licenses.

Most people recognize that when adult males choose to spend all their time with young children(under the guise of educator or in a Mike Jackson way) that there are issues. More surprising would be to read that one of them was not a sex offender.

How many times over the decades have we seen this and how many times have we asked for Working with Children ( WWC )or similar checks on all persons, even Thai's, for people who work with children and how surprising , nothing gets done , Before anyone from outside of Thailand applies for work with Children( Including hospitals , NGO etc ) they must be able to satisfy by way of a police clearance and the same with Thai's and lets not forget that only a few months back we had a Thai football coach up on charges of kicking goals with boys , how easy is all this to do, the applicant has to do all the ground work, all the institution has to do is ensure that it isn't a forged document with the nearest applicants Embassy. coffee1.gif

Most people recognize that when adult males choose to spend all their time with young children(under the guise of educator or in a Mike Jackson way) that there are issues. More surprising would be to read that one of them was not a sex offender.

Ok :blink: Have you heard that most gay men secretly want to rape you. Also...lesbian teachers around children are just as dangerous as the men. I'm glad to see someone else shares my view-most people tell me I'm <deleted> nuts and ignorant :rolleyes:

He managed to con his way into a job by giving false information.

How many teachers, medical professionals and others are have jobs because of fraud. I mean Thais as well as farangs. The government should vet every person working in a sensitive position.

But that would need investment and cost money, so let's carry on as we are.

Nonsense. The really serious problem is not as you describe but the fact that it is extremenly difficult to attract young males to train as primary school teachers ( no matter what incentive and encouragement is offered) because many fear being stereotyped.

Given the high proportion of single parent families this means that many kids do not have a male role model in formative years. the kids are the losers because of the fear campaign perpetrated by the zealots and bigots who see Gay, pervert, pedophile at every turn.

As I recall, the certificate provided by the UK cost the best part of 5000 baht including postage, hense the problem

Thai schools were told to be on the lookout for British national pedos applying for teaching jobs. I guess that admonition didn't stick long.

What a sick mind you must have. There are rotten apples in every barrel, but I know many good and caring male teachers in primary and high schools, both here (in Thailand) and back home. Can you please provide a source to show that most (over 50% of) people believe that such teachers have "other issues"? I think not.

Depends on what you mean by "all their time". If you're talking about just clocking in and going home after work, the concern should be low. But yeah, someone that's literally involved with children as much as possible? Evenings and weekends on top of a 9 to 5 job? We should at least question it a little bit.

discovered the sordid background after speaking to Grant’s mother!

Your son was dead...dead...was it necessary to defame him after he is dead...

I do not understand the need to "spill the beans" by family members...if baffles me...

Some peoples family members are their worst character assassins...

I do not understand the need to "spill the beans" by family members...if baffles me...

It seems a very middle class English thing to do. In all probability, his mother has another son who is the 'apple of her eye,' and can do no wrong. I know many English families which operate with this matronly imposed stigma on a son, who is usually compared to a "no good father", even though the father may still live in the same home. Strange but unfortunately true.

In the mother's mind, it would be perfectly normal to speak this way of her son, even if untrue - after all she has probably done so for decades.

Is it a surprise that he got hired without any apparent background check? In another story in the news today it says the teacher in Nakhon Ratchasima who smacked a high school student around the head and forced him to remove his trousers in front of other pupils are now just being transferred to a new school - not fired but transferred.

This is the status of the Thai education system.

It seems a very middle class English thing to do. In all probability, his mother has another son who is the 'apple of her eye,' and can do no wrong. I know many English families which operate with this matronly imposed stigma on a son, who is usually compared to a "no good father", even though the father may still live in the same home. Strange but unfortunately true.

In the mother's mind, it would be perfectly normal to speak this way of her son, even if untrue - after all she has probably done so for decades.

Or quite possibly, in ringing his mother to inform her, she was simply surprised that he was working at a school.

"Oh, really? But he isn't allowed to work at a school...."

Anyway, whatever....ggt is quite off there because the story is the lessons to be learned. There's no need to protect the dead when the dead are were such people.

I'll say, as nobody else has.....He's dead. That's one less pedo in the world. No tears from me. And probably none from his old mum either.

"It is understood he had used the name David Grant, rather than Stephen."

Crafty!

What name was was on his teaching qualification certificate?

"What Name?" ........ Any name you fancy all along Koh Sang Road. One thousand baht and even you can appear intelligent . LOL

As this is about people with known convictions against minors (which in an ideal world should be apparent) my thoughts/suspicions go towards the people without convictions, with or without teaching qualifications, that may be able to drift through the net. This to me is the danger area. At least with teaching qualifications there is a form of vetting through previous work. Jack (or Jill) coming off the street could be anybody.

But, i guess you have to decide at what level of paranoia you are comfortable without becoming crazy.

When I applied for my retirement visa I had to produce a document from the police regarding any criminal record. Each time I go to Pattaya I generally use the same hotel and each time they copy my passport even though they have seen me many times. Each time I transfer money from my fixed account to my savings account at the Bangkok bank I invariably us the same branch and I have been doing this transfer for 10 years they copy my passport. I guess I must look like a terrorist and all those others who never have to comply just have an innocent looking face.

This man was a convicted sex offender, there was no defamation! People like him deserve the nastiest kind of character assassination.

Maybe his mother disapproved of her son so much, understandably, that she wanted the world to know how bad he was and that she was neither supporting him nor sympathising with him.

Perhaps we should at least get our terms straight.

I’m not a psychologist and am neither competent nor qualified to diagnose psychological disorders, but like most denizens of Internet message boards, I’m not about to allow a lack of formal credentials to prevent me making outrageous unfounded claims with absolute conviction. I did, however, read a few articles on the topic while researching my latest novel, Presumed Guilty.

Stephen David Grant was charged with fifteen counts of “of adult abuse of position of trust – causing or inciting sexual activity with a child aged 13 to 17.”

According to Wikipedia, “Pedophilia or paedophilia is a psychiatric disorder in which an adult or older adolescent experiences a primary or exclusive sexual attraction to prepubescent children, generally age 11 years or younger.” However, some authorities use thirteen as the upper limit.

It would be unfair and inaccurate to call Grant a pedophile. Assuming his actions were precipitated by an underlying psychological disorder or orientation, it is more likely to have been ephebophilia, a sexual preference for post-pubescent teens.

The term pedophile is often used casually to describe any attraction to individuals younger than twenty-one, but pedophilia, hebephilia and ephebophilia are distinct orientations. As many of us teach English, we should try to use correct terminology.

As the father of two young boys, I am concerned about pedophiles; however, I also recognize that pedophilia is a psychological disorder. Nobody knows what causes it, but it usually manifests around puberty. Most pedophiles begin molesting in their early teens. I’m more concerned that my boys could be molested by an older playmate than by a teacher or priest.

As part of my research, I transferred the sex offender registry for the City of Los Angeles into an Excel spreadsheet and ran some statistics. The numbers are distressing. For example, forty-one percent were black and forty-two percent were Hispanic. Either L.A. minorities are much more likely to commit sex offenses or they’re more likely to wind up on the registry due to some form of systematic discrimination. If it’s discrimination, the number of offenders is much higher than the registry would suggest.

Apparently Grant was only thirty-seven. Judging by his photograph, he was a bit stocky, but not morbidly obese. It seems a bit young to drop dead.