alternatives to retirement or marriaged based extensions

I am on a retirement extension but is there an alternative where this 800000 or 400000 is not required which is acceptable to thai authorities. Seems to me the money could be better employed than sitting untouched for months in a bank thanks in advance

If you have regular income from pension, etc. your embassy can/might issue an affidavit verifying that amount.

For marriage extension it's either money in the bank OR income verification.

For retirement extension you can combine the two. So you could have, for example, Baht 200,000 in the bank and monthly income verification that would add up to at least an additional Baht 600,00 for the year, so that the total exceeds Baht 800,000.

And when you use the combination method for the retirement extension, the bank balance does not need to be maintained for 3 months as long as the total adds up to Baht 800,000 or more at the time you apply for the extension at MOST immigrations offices. I think there have been reports that some smaller immigrations offices still want the bank balance to be held for 3 months even when you use the combined income and bank balance method.

Edited by Suradit69

Thanks for replies was thinking more of say 3 month non o visa from neighbour country then if this can be extended here!!!!! And for how long can it be extended????? then do same again in pick up a new 3 month non o visa !!!! Have required monies and income but looking at alternatives as well cheers

Edited by Sutty

Sure !

If you can demonstrate a monthly income of 65,000/40,000 way of an Embassy letter that will be acceptable to immigration.

At the Aussie embassy you don't have to demonstrate anything. You just sign a statutory declaration as to your income, and that's accepted by Thai immigration. Obviously you are supposed to be honest, but there are no checks to substantiate your income.

Thanks for replies was thinking more of say 3 month non o visa from neighbour country then if this can be extended here!!!!! And for how long can it be extended????? then do same again in pick up a new 3 month non o visa !!!! Have required monies and income but looking at alternatives as well cheers

Extensions of non-o visa entries are only done for one year.

If married to a Thai you can get one 60 day extension per entry to visit your wife.

• Like 1

Thanks ubonjoe so from what you say I could get a 90 day non o then get a 60 day extension giving me 150 days so APX 5mths is there a limit on how many 90 day non o visas I can get per year or can you just keep getting them

Instead of getting multiple single entry non-o visas you should make a trip to Savannakhet Laos to get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage.. The visa would allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year. They ask for no financial proof to get the visa.

Instead of getting multiple single entry non-o visas you should make a trip to Savannakhet Laos to get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage.. The visa would allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year. They ask for no financial proof to get the visa.

Please give me more details. I have a friend that is at present going there every 60 days, I'm sure there must be a better solution. He is really strapped for funds.

Sure !

If you can demonstrate a monthly income of 65,000/40,000 way of an Embassy letter that will be acceptable to immigration.

At the Aussie embassy you don't have to demonstrate anything. You just sign a statutory declaration as to your income, and that's accepted by Thai immigration. Obviously you are supposed to be honest, but there are no checks to substantiate your income.

Does the British Embassy require checks?

Sure !

My understanding is the British Embassy will accept copy bank statements showing the money coming in,

I have a UK old age pension of 190 pounds per weekend am told with copy statements for a year I can get a letter for 52 *190 9880 pounds sterling per annum, I would just print off my Royal Bank of bank statements for the UK

In thai batt that would give 533,520, more than sufficient for the marriage ext.requirement of 400,000

To get the multiple entry non-o visa just requires the marriage certificate plus a copy. signed copies of the wife's house book and ID card. The fee for the visa is 5000 baht.

The costs add up, visa run each 90 days visa into Lao

There is another alternative a payment of around 16,000 can get a retirement visa

If interested I might be able to point you in the right direction, also does the 90 day report automatically, PM me

Edited by al007

Sure !

You must be talking about showing funds for your initial application or am I missing something? I thought you applied for extensions and had to show the funds in the bank to Thai immigration when renewing, not the Australia Embassy, infact the initial application is made to the Thai embassy in Australia, not the Australian Embassy...or at least thats what I did.

Edited by Kenny202

I have an O/A retirement visa, coming up to end my first year and plan to go in and out of the country at the last minute to get the year extension automatically. With the AUS $ the way it is and apparently getting worse next year I am worried. I have the 800k THB but would hate to bring that sum over with current exchange rates.

I have money invested in Australia and bring across funds every month to live. So its not a pension or really an employment income as such. If I could show 65k baht coming into my account every month from Australia even though from my own savings would this satisfy the requirement?

I assume the funds have to be in a Thai bank and funds held in Australia no good. I wouldn't mind so much if the exchange rate would pick up.

To get the multiple entry non-o visa just requires the marriage certificate plus a copy. signed copies of the wife's house book and ID card. The fee for the visa is 5000 baht.

There is another alternative a payment of around 16,000 can get a retirement visa

If interested I might be able to point you in the right direction, also does the 90 day report automatically, PM me

".....16,000 can get a retirement visa."

All above board, of course?

Another neither helpful nor intelligent reply

Edited by Kenny202

I have an O/A retirement visa, coming up to end my first year and plan to go in and out of the country at the last minute to get the year extension automatically. With the AUS $ the way it is and apparently getting worse next year I am worried. I have the 800k THB but would hate to bring that sum over with current exchange rates.

I have money invested in Australia and bring across funds every month to live. So its not a pension or really an employment income as such. If I could show 65k baht coming into my account every month from Australia even though from my own savings would this satisfy the requirement?

I assume the funds have to be in a Thai bank and funds held in Australia no good. I wouldn't mind so much if the exchange rate would pick up.

Yes in a Thai bank account only in your name,you have to go to the Australian embassy in Bangkok to get your stat dec signed it is only valid for a short time (don't know for sure how long),must get one every time you do a yearly extension.

Yes in a Thai bank account only in your name,you have to go to the Australian embassy in Bangkok to get your stat dec signed it is only valid for a short time (don't know for sure how long),must get one every time you do a yearly extension.
I didn't realise you had to get anything from the Australian embassy for extensions? (Haven't done one yet ) What's the stat dec for? I'm up country means I have to travel to Bangkok?

Possibly neither helpful or intelligent agreed......but something to ponder whilst sitting in the immigration detention centre at some future date.

• Like 1

Sure !

I fill in their online form and provide copies of my pensions (gross amounts) then send the forms to the embassy via EMS and they are returned in about a week.

I am 99% certain that they don't call each provider to confirm the amounts and I don't think the providers would do so anyway without my authority.

I suppose if I were smart enough I could doctor the letters and do the updates myself but I am too lazy to try.

• Like 1

I didn't realise you had to get anything from the Australian embassy for extensions? (Haven't done one yet ) What's the stat dec for? I'm up country means I have to travel to Bangkok?

Your on an 0-A Visa Kenny. If you exit and enter by the enter before date, you get another 12 months on that Visa.

When your two years comes to an end, you will either have to go back to Aus and get another 0-A Visa, or apply for an extension of stay based on marriage or retirement at an Immigration office.

It is those extensions that are being discussed in this topic.

You only need the stat dec from the Australian embassy if you are using the income test to apply for a 12 month retirement or spouse visa. If you are using the 400,000/800,000 Baht in the bank test, then you just need a letter from the bank to say that the money has been in the account for the mandatory period.

• Like 1

Your on an 0-A Visa Kenny. If you exit and enter by the enter before date, you get another 12 months on that Visa.

When your two years comes to an end, you will either have to go back to Aus and get another 0-A Visa, or apply for an extension of stay based on marriage or retirement at an Immigration office.

It is those extensions that are being discussed in this topic.

I understand every bit of that. As my post states what do u need to go to the embassy for extensions and stat dec.

Extensions of non-o visa entries are only done for one year.

If married to a Thai you can get one 60 day extension per entry to visit your wife.

This is the man to pay attention to.

ubonjoe is the only one on this baord to pay any attention to. or ask the lawyer.

Sure !

Not suggesting both posts are not spot on. However there is another thread asking advice about this very matter. I have read on TV where people have trotted off to Thai imm for extension with their stat dec in hand only to be asked by imm to back it up.

Note I do not have first hand experience. I'm relating what has been posted on TV before. On a side note , I think Thai imm should ask for back up docs. If the stat dec was for real it would be easy to do.

I love the saying " paper cannot refuse a pen".

Even though the SD is a legally bounding doc.