Thai Police reward was unnecessary and UNPROFESSIONAL

webfact

Everyone can huff and puff, truth is this is normal police process here.

Any time one has a problem and needs police assistance , reward must be paid, other wise report gets written and filed away.

You been robbed and have thieves address, make reward payment, police arrest them.

Do not make reward payment and police can not find the address.

So you're saying that it's better to just say nothing and silently accept that the system is bad and wrong?

Perhaps you're right from the perspective of sparing yourself from some extra frustration in life, but once we all just silently accept crappy service and corrupt ways are fine, then I think the degradation of society will be accelerated.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is duly noted that the multimillionaire police chief has less than a month left in office, limiting the time period in which he can show his appreciation for the work of the officers in his charge. He must by law retire at the end of this month, and the case is unlikely to be solved before then.

It wouldt be nice and shouldt be investigated how a policeofficer can get 1 Mio. out off his own pocket,

What annoys me is that they are claiming that the arrests and warrants issued have been done by police work only.

With no information from the public being used. Like the phone call from the landlord of the first raided apartments?

I would like to call B S on that statement. There has been no arrests (as far as i am aware, suspects still being questioned) let alone convictions.

How can a reward be given at this very early stage to anyone?

This is so wrong. I've lost hope that Thailand will progress to a 1st world country. When things like this are so blatantly self serving, corrupt and wrong. The culture and country cannot progress with idiots at the top. It's sad, really so sad.

Yet in the first world our politicians award multi-billion dollar, non-bid contracts to corporations that previously employed them and will likely employ them after they leave office. Same same, but different.

That is no justification for giving out the reward before the case is even solved let alone convictions made. It made the police chief look even more unprofessional after all the ludicrous statements & the handling of evidence. Very similar to how the Koh Tao murder case was handled but they did not learn from that.

Not justifiying anything, mate. Simply poiting out that sound politics and moral decisions are in no way characteristics of a first world nation as was suggested by the OP.

It is duly noted that the multimillionaire police chief has less than a month left in office, limiting the time period in which he can show his appreciation for the work of the officers in his charge. He must by law retire at the end of this month, and the case is unlikely to be solved before then.

It wouldt be nice and shouldt be investigated how a policeofficer can get 1 Mio. out off his own pocket,

It does seem the police flaunt their unaccountable wealth without batting an eye. If there is really supposed to be a system of reform in place, wouldn't all those obvious breaches be an obvious place to start? But then again, the General is quite (and questionably) loaded, so I guess an ugly can of worms could be opened if such peculiarities were ever investigated. I've heard that the military actually has more access to corruption than the police.

Edited by Inn Between

Given it was an astute Landlord who made the report and the Keystone Cops were just acting on a tip off...it's laughable. Cops were sitting with them thumbs up their butts without a clue, motive or suspect, when the Landlord handed a nest of bombers to them on a plate...and they get a reward for it.

I'm sure the Landlord is very pleased.

He's out 5 room payments...and 3million baht.

This is so wrong. I've lost hope that Thailand will progress to a 1st world country. When things like this are so blatantly self serving, corrupt and wrong. The culture and country cannot progress with idiots at the top. It's sad, really so sad.

Yet in the first world our politicians award multi-billion dollar, non-bid contracts to corporations that previously employed them and will likely employ them after they leave office. Same same, but different.

A whopping 13 posts before the first inane "things are not better in the West" post!

The mind boggles at the inane actions of some of the people who are in charge of things here.

Not really. It's all about the money. They know the financial price of everything to within 3 decimal paces, but the actual value of Sweet FA.

The Thai police historically were initially set up as bag-men and tax collectors. And have evolved little since then.

What annoys me is that they are claiming that the arrests and warrants issued have been done by police work only.

With no information from the public being used. Like the phone call from the landlord of the first raided apartments?

I would like to call B S on that statement. There has been no arrests (as far as i am aware, suspects still being questioned) let alone convictions.

How can a reward be given at this very early stage to anyone?

I'm just speculating but I think the police were rewarded for "changing sides". We know the Immigration Police took bribes to let them in. It is not hard to imagine at all that further bribes were paid as "protection" or extortion, which after all are RTP's chief moneymaking schemes. Maybe the landlord was tipped by the police to make the call rather than vice versa. It makes more sense to me.

UK Police are given bonuses so why not the Thai Police. Maybe should have waited until they had a conviction rather than an arrest.

As far as i am aware, nobody has been arrested yet. They are still being questioned in military jurisdiction.

Everyone can huff and puff, truth is this is normal police process here.

Any time one has a problem and needs police assistance , reward must be paid, other wise report gets written and filed away.

You been robbed and have thieves address, make reward payment, police arrest them.

Do not make reward payment and police can not find the address.

So you're saying that it's better to just say nothing and silently accept that the system is bad and wrong?

Perhaps you're right from the perspective of sparing yourself from some extra frustration in life, but once we all just silently accept crappy service and corrupt ways are fine, then I think the degradation of society will be accelerated.

So by posting pages of " outrage" system had changed? Or has changed???

And all the media drivel has had any affect on police system?

If you want a good laugh in your day (or perhaps a good cry) have a read how bluntly overseas media described this incident.

http://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2015/08/31/thai-police-award-themselves-84k-for-arrest-of-bomb-suspect

The last line is a cracker "Somyot said he also hoped that turning the reward over to police would help motivate them and show "that higher ranking officers actually give them money." Police in Thailand are notoriously underpaid and it is common knowledge that low-ranking officers collect bribes to pay-up to senior officers.

In other words the big man shoved the cash in the face of his juniors to make up for years of scamming them dry on their own takes.

You couldnt make it up!

"Chief Somyot deserves a measure of praise for his public-spirited generosity in paying the reward from his own pocket,"

even this part should not be analysed too much......in case we find out exactly how the money got into the pocket in the first place.

This is going to be the Biggest laugh of the Century All over the world,Stupid Police take the reward that is only for the public (not police) EVEN before they have evidence that the suspects done the crime and how many suspects were there,,,,Not only that but the biggest Foolish act is that they took the money BEFORE the suspects are Convicted for the crime cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Unfortunately agreed.

I think you must be unaware of the fact that the landlord of the accused reported him to the police, Surely the reward should have been paid to the landlord. Until this all important tip off the police had nothing.

Why should the general public bother in future if rewards are then paid to the police?

This is going to be the Biggest laugh of the Century All over the world,Stupid Police take the reward that is only for the public (not police) EVEN before they have evidence that the suspects done the crime and how many suspects were there,,,,Not only that but the biggest Foolish act is that they took the money BEFORE the suspects are Convicted for the crime cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

As usual, the esteemed Chief of Police should be ashamed , but he just doesn't get it.

Why o why should any of this be focused personally on the retiring police chief? When he retires is totally irrelevant to this investigation.

A professional credible police force would be well set up to continue the investigation regardless of anybody's retirement.

The police should be rewarded (if needed) through the appropriate regulations, not through the personal generosity of a retiring policeman.

Thailand does not need anything like maverick cops.

Bring on total absolute reform from top to bottom with emphasis on modern rationale for the very existence of the force and who they report to - the good citizens of Thailand.