4wd truck, which brand ?

happysoul

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys, not only you improved my knowledge but had a good laugh too.

Didn't buy a new vehicle for about 15 years. A 2nd hand is good enough for a 2nd hand <deleted>... now there is family... so starting to change my mind about new cars... and also same about Toyota... why pay more (actually just a bit more), so changing one's mind, why not do it till the end :)

Thanks for all thoughts but please don't start fighting about who's got the biggest ;) We love all trucks :)

Cheers pals

Edit : the deleted word was a guy that has to take care of himself, starting with w

Edited by happysoul

Nissan is the only one which is not completely ugly...

i would take a 2nd hand isuzu from 2011-2013 the one just before the last /// with the teeths the 3000 is a beauty. I have one 2500cc from 2007 it's still new after 240.000 km... i changed 2 things alternator and the little radiator...intercooler i think

When I last moved here in 2009, I test drove the toyota pick-up, fortuner, isuzu mu7, and the dmax

MU7 was waaay too ' ugly

Fortuner drove like a pick-up, didn't like the feel at all

Toyota was great, but a bit too stiff for my requirements... If I was carrying heavy loads, I would have chosen that as I bought a vigo back in 2002 up in Chiang Rai and it was a great workhorse.

I chose the DMax (2.5L, 5MT with bells and whistles) as it was a very comfortable ride, smaller turning radius, good fuel economy, and it looked pretty good.

I've had just a few issues with the Kenwood GPS, and the service regarding these issues has been mediocre. I've had this truck for over five years and the damn GPS is still wonky

Other than that, I've had no problems with the truck itself, and Isuzu service is everywhere and very good.

Fuel economy is great, and the truck still runs great! Very happy with my purchase.

post-154502-0-68434500-1441389299_thumb.

There are 3 that are head and shoulders above the others:

Ford Ranger, Mazda BT-50 and Mitsu Triton.

Why....?

Drive them and you will find out.

So whats the difference between them and the rest you ain't mentioned...?

Ford Ranger, Mazda BT-50 are exactly the same car made by the same company just with different body panels to make them look different they are the best value for money, engine an transmission tech is currently far more superior to the others but Mazda is the parent company and has a better dealer network.

Mazda is currently leading the market with its tech,Triton has been around for a million years and is in the same league as Isuzu and Chevrolet made to a budget still using older outdated tech, Toyota is slightly better than than them but has dropped the ball in the last few years as they have spent a lot of years blowing their own trumpet with heavy advertising a "Brand Name" and undercutting the other manufactures for the fleet markets and sales with low interest finance and riding that wave for as long as they can, but not producing anything new model or tech wise.

Price, reliability and peace of mind 1. Mazda 2. Ford. 3. Toyota 4.Mitsubishi/Isuzu/Chevrolet

Edited by ZuluSixNine

I have a 2013 Ford ranger wikdtrek 3.2, 6gear auto. I'm very happy with it, lots of safety features and other great original options such as dif lock, slope descend control etc'. service is fine, no issues there. When I bought it no other car came near to it's specs - Mazda has same gear and engine but lacked many other features.

However, Ford doesn't keep it's value and you lose a lot when you sell. At the time Toyota was still running with the old models so I didn't even take it for a test drive. I think with the new Toyota I'd go for the Toyota as they keep the value quiet good and Toyota is the most popular car in Thailand so many dealers and service point wherever you go.

Why don't you rent each one you like for a week and see how they compare?

Thats what I did, but I knew I was going with Toyota anyway.

Then why did you do it? tongue.png

Wanted some buyer's remorse before you pulled the trigger? biggrin.png

No!

I'd rented Fortuners and Vigos for 5 years when I needed a car, so I tried the others to see what they were like.

Toyota won hands down.

I rented Vigo's and tuna's for years and when it came to buying time and after the Ranger test drive, I knew what I DIDN'T want.

On my second Ranger now.

Just saying that people's tastes are all individual and the Toyota reliability/service/resale aspect is not a debatable but sometimes, change is good.

Edited by NanLaew

Why....?

Ford Ranger, Mazda BT-50 are exactly the same car made by the same company just with different body panels to make them look different they are the best value for money, engine an transmission tech is currently far more superior to the others but Mazda is the parent company and has a better dealer network.

Mazda is currently leading the market with its tech,Triton has been around for a million years and is in the same league as Isuzu and Chevrolet made to a budget still using older outdated tech, Toyota is slightly better than than them but has dropped the ball in the last few years as they have spent a lot of years blowing their own trumpet with heavy advertising a "Brand Name" and undercutting the other manufactures for the fleet markets and sales with low interest finance and riding that wave for as long as they can, but not producing anything new model or tech wise.

Price, reliability and peace of mind 1. Mazda 2. Ford. 3. Toyota 4.Mitsubishi/Isuzu/Chevrolet

D-

Mazda is not Ford's parent company and never has been. The current Ranger/BT-50 is a Ford vehicle (not that there would be an issue if it was 100% Mazda).

The new Triton is brand new.

Why don't you rent each one you like for a week and see how they compare?

Thats what I did, but I knew I was going with Toyota anyway.

Then why did you do it? tongue.png

Wanted some buyer's remorse before you pulled the trigger? biggrin.png

No!

I'd rented Fortuners and Vigos for 5 years when I needed a car, so I tried the others to see what they were like.

Toyota won hands down.

I rented Vigo's and tuna's for years and when it came to buying time and after the Ranger test drive, I knew what I DIDN'T want.

On my second Ranger now.

Just saying that people's tastes are all individual and the Toyota reliability/service/resale aspect is not a debatable but sometimes, change is good.

I rented the Ranger for a week. It was very good on the highways, 6 speed, smooth and plenty of torque. However around Pattaya in the thick traffic I found it had too much turbo lag, and it struggled to pull out of junctions without having to rev the balls off it.

Plus its a Ford and I wouldn't have one given.

Found

On

Road

Dead

The more it goes, the more I tend for Toyota. Dealer is close, good security, great liability and good resale value.

Thanks for all the help and advises.

Cheers

To me your making the right choice. I have had Toyota Trucks in Thailand for the last eleven years. They have never let me down and I find most comfortable on long journeys.

I also bought a new Mitsabushi car one year ago that has got steering problems and they have unsuccessfully cured it and have told me there is nothing wrong and nothing else

we can do.

You could always go one better then all the other Pickups on the road and get the VW Amarak

http://www.one2car.com/for-sale/volkswagen-amarok--12-17-bangkok-metropolitan-lak-si-sapanmai-chaeng-watthana/2157688/

It ain't got enough grunt, unless you pay bundles for the 420, the only one that can use an auto trans too.....

True, but at least you know which truck is yours in a car park full of Toyota's

You could always go one better then all the other Pickups on the road and get the VW Amarak

http://www.one2car.com/for-sale/volkswagen-amarok--12-17-bangkok-metropolitan-lak-si-sapanmai-chaeng-watthana/2157688/

It ain't got enough grunt, unless you pay bundles for the 420, the only one that can use an auto trans too.....

True, but at least you know which truck is yours in a car park full of Toyota's

Mine is easy to find...I just look for the black PreRunner 4-door laugh.png

Why....?

I must admit my post above is incorrect. After taking out the new Triton it doesn't come close to the Ranger. It's really 'unspecial'.

Any of the trucks here will do a similar job if you're after a workhorse but I'm sure many of use want to use our trucks as our daily driver. For me and after driving most of what is available, the new Wildtrak is the only one on the list now.

Why....?

I must admit my post above is incorrect. After taking out the new Triton it doesn't come close to the Ranger. It's really 'unspecial'.

Any of the trucks here will do a similar job if you're after a workhorse but I'm sure many of use want to use our trucks as our daily driver. For me and after driving most of what is available, the new Wildtrak is the only one on the list now.

Unfortunately ford has a bad reputation with regards to after sales service (as evident on many threads here at TV) and both the Mazda and ford loose value rather quickly compaired to the Toyota or Isuzu. If those two issues induce “peace of mind” then by all means go for it..thumbsup.gif

Personally, 5-speed manual vs 6-speed manual would not be a deal-breaker for me.

Unless one is using the truck to carry a load, that extra gear is not of much practical use.

A five speed is fine with me. On a level surface I never use first gear. Once in a while if I am on an incline I will start off in first gear. Why would a six speed be an advantage unless you enjoy shifting gears?

I have had a Ford for the last 4 years and the car has ran perfectly and the service has been fine - nothing special but better than the service received from many Thai companies.

I also got what a asked for on my 4 year old car on the trade-in (and a free umbrella!), 1st class insurance (not usually given on this model), carpets and rubber mats, window tinting and 500 baht of fuel.

I'm so happy, I even let the wife choose the colour!

Personally, 5-speed manual vs 6-speed manual would not be a deal-breaker for me.

Unless one is using the truck to carry a load, that extra gear is not of much practical use.

A five speed is fine with me. On a level surface I never use first gear. Once in a while if I am on an incline I will start off in first gear. Why would a six speed be an advantage unless you enjoy shifting gears?

As long as it's not an auto I don't care if it has 5 or 6 gears.

I can't stand autos. They feel sluggish compared to a manual and I don't have the same level of control from the throttle. I'm sure a dual clutch system might sway me (on the right car) to change my ways. Fortunately the missus prefers a manual too.

Have you driven a modern auto pickup........?

My auto truck "can" wheel spin off the line at the stop light drags and trounce trucks that are still fishing for gears....There is no sluggish stuff, thats gone.....Well my Asian auto box ain't sluggish......biggrin.png

Yes. Quite a few recently. Very happy to get back to my manual truck after each episode and glad I have managed to buy a new one before all vehicles available here are neutered.

you like stressing out your clutch? Why would someone want a six speed? Fuel economy for one.

You do realize modern cars are going to 8 speed and more automatics right? There is a reason for that.

I can't stand autos. They feel sluggish compared to a manual and I don't have the same level of control from the throttle. I'm sure a dual clutch system might sway me (on the right car) to change my ways. Fortunately the missus prefers a manual too.

Have you driven a modern auto pickup........?

My auto truck "can" wheel spin off the line at the stop light drags and trounce trucks that are still fishing for gears....There is no sluggish stuff, thats gone.....Well my Asian auto box ain't sluggish......biggrin.png

Modern autos are way more advanced that in the past. In a truck they auto will be quicker to 100 because of the short first gear in the manual version. In cars, modern dsg autos are also faster than the equivalent manual versions. You physically cannot shift as fast as an auto changes gear. Perhaps hauling heavy weights up and down mountains, then maybe the manual is more appropriate. But driving around town, the manual is a PITA. Manual versions are often lower specced and resale is poorer. Most Thais don't like manuals and most never learned to drive one.

Tell us the reason then

The main benefits are increased fuel economy, drive ability, and acceleration.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a7243/gears-galore-how-many-speeds-is-too-many/

According to Ford Motor Company's chief engineer of transmissions, Craig Renneker, more gears give powertrain engineers more gear spread to work with. This means first gear can be shorter for better off-the-line acceleration while the top gears can be taller for better fuel economy. Having more gears allows smaller, more economical engines to power larger vehicles or improves the efficiency of existing engines.

I have nothing against automatic transmissions. My car is an automatic. My point being that I use a truck much differently than the car. Out here in the boonies some roads have pot holes big and deep enough to swallow a motorbike. We also have several small farms and the car is not really suitable to go to any of the farms. I prefer a manual transmission and 4X4 for negotiating rutted and narrow dirt roads. as well as pot holed minor roads. The low slung car simply cannot go places that the truck can go. As far as highway driving what is the difference how many gears you have? If I were very careful I could get by with a two wheel drive. After I sold the lemon Toyota 4X4 I had no choice. I'll be very happy to get back in a 4X4.

Edited by Gary A

There is nothing wrong with the new truck automatics, I just prefer a manual for myself especially for going up and down mountains. I use the gears a lot. My old Nissan had 150,000 kilometers on it and still had the original brakes. That should tell you something about my driving style. I changed the OE Bridgestone tires at 90,000. Not because they were worn out but because they got hard and slippery on wet roads. They are stacked outside beside my garage waiting for someone who has an old clunker that needs a set of tires. Just come and get them.

Edited by Gary A