French tourist arrested at Phuket money exchange with fake Euro bank notes

webfact

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A number of years back the EU stopped issuing the 500 euro note because there where so many fakes around.. Last year I was going to Spain to possibly buy a property I went to the Super Rich exchange in Khon Kaen and changed 1.000,000 baht for euro and received all 500 euro notes. I got them to turn the detector machine around to me and swipe them.

The UK banned them because it made it hard to spot large amounts of smuggled 'dirty' money.

He could be innocent!!

Yes but then explain how he could wihdraw €100 notes from a bank in France?

It does not come from a French ATM thats for sure, because the machines would not accept fake notes. So if he is innocent he could have got them from a middle man , an exchange agent . But he claims he withdrew them in a bank . Silly old man.

This is very plausible a few years back one American Bank (name not disclosed) got me when I withdrew 1200 dollars

The stiffed me with a 100 dollar forgery. I went to use it and was told it was fake I called the Treasury about it . the FBI called and talked to me

I told them about it THey came over and got the bill and told me there was nothing I could do about the bank stiffing me

To this day I am certain the bank knew they had the bill and did not want to eat it since insurance does not cover a counterfeit bill.

I was stiffed So its very possible and probable this happened Why would he only have 5 bills and not thousands I believe his story and hope the Thai authorities will

believe it as well

Sorry for his grief

He was charged with attempting to use counterfeit currency. This is illegal in most, if not all countries. How could it be otherwise?

This man may have mitigating circumstances to put before the court, but he cannot deny the offence.

I have withdrawn fake 100 Yuan notes from an ATM in China. Naturally it was denied by the branch when I sought recompense.

There is nothing to stop the unsuspecting, as this man may well have been, from being arrested and charged for a crime about which they were totally unaware.

+1...I got a fake $20 out of a US atm once. In front of the bank and they didn't do anything. I lost the $20.

Farangs are always innocent. They never do wrong.

To put it mildly, a pathetic lot without any shame.

If it was this lovely 3rd world countries or people there from, these same commentators would have sung a different tune!

The scum exists every where in the same proportions, is for sure - how they set up to do it may be different.

How proud they all are (the officers)... "Yeah, we three have nabbed a foreigner, with 23.400 worth in fake bank notes, who might even be innocent, yeah!!!", while the whole LOS falls apart around us, 20+ people were killed, hundreds injured by a bomb with an investigation going limbo and cops paying themselves reward for a not yet solved crime, bombings in the south, countless people killed on the streets due to non-existant check ups and public ignoring every single traffic rule, patsies being put in court for crimes performed by super rich HiSo and mafia people, every wannabe HiSo able to buy himself/herself (actor brat that shat herself) out even of possible murder charges, majority of Thai youths hi on Yaa Baa and Yaa Ice... the majority of adults drunk on Lao Khao, corruption on an all time high, etc... yeah, now everyting will change, because three couragious cops caught a French guy with 23.400 Baht of fake notes in his posession... I am so impressed and so sure that this country will now became a much safer and better place. Thanks so much for catching this despicable crook and bringing his outrageous "crime" to our attention...

You seem to be cross about something.

The worrying thing about this is that his explanation is possible...

Can it be guaranteed the the money we withdraw from an ATM (either in Thailand or Overseas) is 100% real 100% of the time?

I carry about $1000 (10x$100 bills - kept separately from my Wallet) with me when I travel as additional security against lost wallet etc

Obviously I've checked them visually, and while I believe they are real, I can never be 100% certain.

"Rene was taken to Kathu Police Station where he was charged with bringing counterfeit money into Thailand and possession of counterfeit notes "

I agree we can always unknowingly be handed a few counterfeit notes at any time but he has been charged with crossing the Thai border with some and appears to be "guilty" of doing just that !

Can it be guaranteed the the money we withdraw from an ATM (either in Thailand or Overseas) is 100% real 100% of the time?

I carry about $1000 (10x$100 bills - kept separately from my Wallet) with me when I travel as additional security against lost wallet etc

Obviously I've checked them visually, and while I believe they are real, I can never be 100% certain.

ehhhh..... u and a box of rocks have a lot in common ...........................

No way hé got them From bank

Nevers saw an atm handling 100 € bills

You can get 100€ banknote in ATM in France if select, i just get some today for my next stay in Thailand.

Anyway i don't think you can get 6 fake euro banknotes at same time in Atm.

Because money in Atm not provide by the bank or people make deposit,money came from special provider with secure proceed.

May be this man do black money and someone give fake bank notes to him or he buy fake bank notes;

Sorry if my english skill not very good.

ehhhh..... u and a box of rocks have a lot in common ...........................

Edit: response deleted - The only thing worse than getting into an argument with an idiot is the idiot getting into the argument with him.

Edited by richard_smith237

Yes,but of course he is still guilty as charged. Bringing counterfeit money into Thailand. Ignorance is no defence.

We could all be subject to receiving fake notes wherever, personally I stay away from £50 ones and hope the banks do their job before filling the machines. I hope they do the same here in Thailand.

Yeah, and what if he is just telling the truth? His being charged with a crime he did not commit and the BiB just could not care less about contacting the branch he got the money from for further investigation.

I would sue the clothes off their back if I was him......that's if he is innocent !!

The quality of counterfeit 50$ AUD notes in Australia has been that good banks have even dispensed them at their ATM's...

every so often a new batch seems to flood the shops and this is why!The French guys excuse maybe plausible given the technology available now.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/funny-money-but-flood-of-fake-50-dollar-notes-is-no-joke-to-the-police/story-fni0cx12-1227058345099

Edited by sydneyjed

Yeah, the farang must be innocent, and it was the bank that did him over. rolleyes.gif

coffee1.gif

I have a German friend, living here,, Showed me a $1000 baht fake bill he got from his own banks ATM,,, was near perfect, watermark and all,, it lacked the silver foil strip,,,,

Well a bit of a hint, was that it was both a 1000 dollar bill, and a 1000 baht bill, at the same time.

He was quite astute to figure that it was dodgy.

coffee1.gif

Yeah, and what if he is just telling the truth? His being charged with a crime he did not commit and the BiB just could not care less about contacting the branch he got the money from for further investigation.

I would sue the clothes off their back if I was him......that's if he is innocent !!

What do you mean, 'charged with a crime he did not commit'.

Another sizzling headline,,,

Well done Thai police you have foiled a 100 Euro scam,, and a potential 400 Euro scam,, wow,,, the Thai economy is safe with you fellas on duty.

I don't get silly comments like this. So the police should just ignore counterfeiters? The news media shouldn't report it? This is a rather serious crime. It's not that plausible that the French bank would give him six bogus bills. One maybe, but not freakin six. But then, what else is the guy going to say?