British academic detained in Thailand after exposing official as plagiarist

webfact

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a shame for this country.

He didn't do anything wrong, he just blamed and exposed the truth.

The UK Embassy should take some real actions.

In all seriousness, what actions do you think they should take?

How about a strong protest to the top man and ask him to explain the logic of it all

American Erika Fry was also charged with criminal defamation as a consequence for reporting in the B****** Post the story written by Ellis about Director of the National Innovation Agency Supachai's plagarism. Her story was published in June 2009.

While attempting to clear her name, Erika left Thailand for the USA later in 2009 with permission of the Thai government but chose not to return.

Her experiences with Supachai's defamation charge are appalling. Read more in her article "Escape From Thailand"

http://www.cjr.org/behind_the_news/fry_in_thailand.php?page=all

Wow. What's really sad is the journalist who had to flee the country:

An American journalist, Erika Fry, who wrote about his case for a Thai newspaper, had to flee the country in July 2010 after Mr Supachai filed a criminal defamation charge against her.

She says her paper failed to defend her.

beatdeadhorse.gif

How about a strong protest to the top man and ask him to explain the logic of it all

beatdeadhorse.gif

General! Where are you? Here's BLATANT corruption and malfeasance and misuse of position. Not to mention the education corruption side of it.

If you want any credibility, arrest this Supachai immediately, release Dr Ellis immediately with profound apologies and compensation, and send a clear message that corruption will not be tolerated.

I predict that this is another thread in which all TVF members will been in agreement and outraged at this travesty.

well spoken. But then Thailand would be emty soon because of the others plagiarists?

Flaws in the idea it will go something like:

what you dare to question me you less than the bacteria in bird poo non local person.

what you think you have a member as big as mine, you go straight to jail, do not pass go and find your legs broken for attempted non escape

Courageous fellow.

Quick story. I was teaching in Australia, typical high-school. I had a Thai student, got along well with him and family and they asked me to come to Thailand and mange their three schools. How that unfolded is another story, however the father also the director, or principal of the schools, did not speak a word of English, not a word beyond hello then it was smiles and laughing. Yet had a phd on an education related research topic and written in English.

I noticed his wife was organizing visas for a trip to India one day, which made no obvious sense as there was little connection there for them or their family. We were friendly and i asked her why. She dodged a bit, looked bashful and finally admitted she was off to collect her phd as she needed it for their growing businesses in the education field. There was some credential requirements with the Thai govt with what they were doing. She also admitted that was where her husband had got his phd.

An Indian in Delhi had "produced" a doctoral paper firstly in the husband's name, then the wife double dipped and got hers!! She was off to confer her degree. Cost a bit but worth she said.

How that for plagiarism and from the heads of three substantial schools.

lol tit smile.png

Edited by optad

Posted Today, 07:55

My home has undergone surveillance by individuals with false ID and false number plates, anonymous letters, long-running tax inspections, investigation of my Thai citizenship, 480 telephone death threats, and rock attacks on my car

As I mentioned, he is a British citizen, and also seems to hold Thai citizenship.

Surprised they haven't forced him to be conscripted into the army and sent to the Deep South ... smile.png

Yes, he would probably be safer there.

General! Where are you? Here's BLATANT corruption and malfeasance and misuse of position. Not to mention the education corruption side of it.

If you want any credibility, arrest this Supachai immediately, release Dr Ellis immediately with profound apologies and compensation, and send a clear message that corruption will not be tolerated.

I predict that this is another thread in which all TVF members will been in agreement and outraged at this travesty.

On face value of events as described it would certainly appear to be a test of credibility of stated objectives!

At the same time a charge of being a threat to national security may have stemmed from statement events not included in the news item?

And I have never heard before of it being possible to "refuse" deportation!

I look forward to the "whole" story to surface....should that ever happen !

You don't arrest someone for suspected plagerism, its a civil issue not a criminal offence!

Another thing I have leant about "Thainess", if you expose them as liars, cheats or thieves and prove to be correct they won't forget it. They will harbour the grudge like a school kid and do whatever they can to get back at you, in this case create some trumped up nonsense charge (because they can).

It may be seen by all outside as unbelievable, completely unjust and potentially corrupt but whilst the corruption exists this will always happen and the elitist won't be in a hurry to let the situation change as they benefit the most from the "flexibility".

I hope Dr Ellis is out today and he is left to get on with his life in peace..

On face value of events as described it would certainly appear to be a test of credibility of stated objectives!

At the same time a charge of being a threat to national security may have stemmed from statement events not included in the news item?

And I have never heard before of it being possible to "refuse" deportation!

I look forward to the "whole" story to surface....should that ever happen !

If, as has been reported, he holds a Thai passport, then he has got a reason to refuse. Anyway, he's on a blacklist and has not committed any crime for them to be able to legally put him on a plane....it was probably more a case of "We want you to go" but they had no power to enforce it.

Unfortunately in Thai culture, loss of face is one of the most important factors affecting their behaviour.

It filters through almost every interaction they have with each other.

The Thai way is to smile and not cause offence, even though each knows what's really going on.

A public show of cooperation and harmony.

Unfortunately we westerners are more concerned with outcomes and results, justice and fairness.

We don't care about harmony so much as long as the truth is revealed.

I can't see the Thai culture changing rapidly especially as they want to cling to their traditional power structures where wealthy elites have most influence.

This is a classic instance where east meets west and no compromise is possible.

You don't arrest someone for suspected plagerism, its a civil issue not a criminal offence!

Use some common sense and read the story.

I suggest he be arrested for abuse of power, and for allegations of violent intimidation, for allegations of forgery....and for corruption.

If he was not corrupt, how did he get his PhD? If he was not corrupt, how did he get Dr Ellis's name on an immigration blacklist?

Another thing I have leant about "Thainess", if you expose them as liars, cheats or thieves and prove to be correct they won't forget it. They will harbour the grudge like a school kid and do whatever they can to get back at you, in this case create some trumped up nonsense charge (because they can).

It may be seen by all outside as unbelievable, completely unjust and potentially corrupt but whilst the corruption exists this will always happen and the elitist won't be in a hurry to let the situation change as they benefit the most from the "flexibility".

I hope Dr Ellis is out today and he is left to get on with his life in peace..

Now I know why they keep driving one after the other into a narrow traffic jammed Soi, until its completely locked up and they have to start backing out.

Plagerism!

Another low for the Thai "Elite" university of Chula

Thais are surprised when foreigners laugh at the international value of a Chula degree. Somehow they expect foreigners to be impressed.....

No shame .......even after being caught. Just temper tantrums. Thainess

The good Dr. will never have peace of mind living in Thailand. I admire his courage and perseverance but at the end of the day nothing changes here because of his actions. Sad but true. I hope he released as soon as possible. This case highlights yet again the downside to the current administration. The current situation for powerful people to arrest or detain people because they are a 'threat' to society. There was a vigorous debate about free speech on another thread and some posters maintaining that the current administration had not hindered free speech. Whilst this may not technically fall into that category it does highlight how the current curtailments can be manipulated in the wrong hands!

Well, if he's a British journalist, he probably stole the report himself by hacking a mobile phone. Ship him back to the UK where he can join his brothers in arms in jail.

Try reading this from the BBC,try to understand it and then think about what you have written.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34169104

quote from the above

A UK academic has spent the last four days in detention at an airport in Thailand over a dispute arising from a UN report he wrote nine years ago.

Another quote

On reading it, he realised a lot of it had been copied from a report on a year-long study he had conducted for Thailand's International Trade Centre two years earlier.

On further investigation he realised that nearly all of the dissertation had been copied from other sources; only in 14 pages out of 161, he says, could he not find clear evidence of plagiarism.

Another quote

Dr Ellis eventually won seven of the nine cases against him, settling the other two out of court, but the last case did not finish at the Supreme Court until May 2014.

Now he has discovered that Mr Supachai had asked the Immigration Department back in 2009 to blacklist him.

For all you people busy slagging off the current government please do some research first. Try reading the line above this from the BBC report.

Edited by billd766

Well, if he's a British journalist, he probably stole the report himself by hacking a mobile phone. Ship him back to the UK where he can join his brothers in arms in jail.

Try reading this from the BBC,try to understand it and then think about what you have written.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34169104

quote from the above

A UK academic has spent the last four days in detention at an airport in Thailand over a dispute arising from a UN report he wrote nine years ago.

Another quote

On reading it, he realised a lot of it had been copied from a report on a year-long study he had conducted for Thailand's International Trade Centre two years earlier.

On further investigation he realised that nearly all of the dissertation had been copied from other sources; only in 14 pages out of 161, he says, could he not find clear evidence of plagiarism.

Another quote

Dr Ellis eventually won seven of the nine cases against him, settling the other two out of court, but the last case did not finish at the Supreme Court until May 2014.

Now he has discovered that Mr Supachai had asked the Immigration Department back in 2009 to blacklist him.