Migrants' long and winding road to Europe turns cold, muddy

webfact

Migrants' long and winding road to Europe turns cold, muddy
By SHAWN POGATCHNIK

BUDAPEST, Hungary (AP) — Soaked to the bone and ankle deep in mud, thousands of people seeking refuge in Europe are finding that their path to a new life is growing harder by the hour.

Torrential rains poured as an unprecedented 7,000 trekkers crossed the Greek border into Macedonia on Thursday past rows of camouflage-jacketed police. Children stumbled into mud-filled potholes and had to be pulled back out, bawling, into their mothers' arms. People struggled to find anything — plastic sheets, garbage bags, even a beach umbrella — to shield themselves from an unrelenting deluge.

And yet nothing could dampen their hopes of reaching the heart of Europe, where asylum and border security systems are already in danger of being overwhelmed in the migration crisis.

"I'm not going to be afraid of anything," said Waseem Absi, a 30-year-old from Ariha in northern Syria, as he held a disassembled pup tent over his head and trudged up a muddy slope alongside four friends. He said he hopes to reunite with relatives in the Netherlands.

The sudden onset of autumn has taken tens of thousands by surprise all along the Balkans route from Greece to Hungary, the main gateway to Western Europe for more than 160,000 asylum seekers already this year.

As recently as last week, those making the epic journey, much of it on foot, were baking in a region-wide heat wave and free to sleep under the stars. Now they're without shelter and struggling to keep campfires burning, highlighting the inadequate support provided by several European governments at each border crossing.

Conditions also rapidly deteriorated on Hungary's southern border with Serbia, where an estimated 3,000 crossed at an approved rail site or illegally by ducking under the razor-wire marking that frontier. Garbage-strewn fields turned to mud, trapping relief agency trucks whose wheels spun and flecked passing migrants with sodden earth.

With Hungary and other nations providing few facilities on their borders, travelers have poured into the few tents erected recently by relief workers trying to compensate for the lack of government support.

"The medical tent is full of people — people who aren't actually sick, by the way, but just want a warm place to sit down. We can't get rid of them," said Gabor Gyurko, a volunteer for the Catholic charity Caritas, which is providing medical care at a police-supervised collection point. Medics gave first aid to several mothers and their children and covered them with thermal blankets.

Gyurko said he expected the volume of ill people to surge with the chilly, wet weather "especially among people living in such close quarters."

International aid workers said Hungary has failed to provide sufficient shelter at migrant bottlenecks on the border, particularly near the village of Roszke. The country instead is investing in a new security regime, supposed to begin Sept. 15, designed to close its border with Serbia backed by more than 3,000 troops, many of whom conducted drills Thursday in cooperation with Serbian colleagues.

"The situation here is really a big disaster because a lot of refugees are coming every hour from the border from Serbia to Hungary, to Roszke, and we don't have real infrastructure here," said Kathrin Niedermoser, whose Austrian charity for asylum seekers provided what food it could keep from getting wet. "We have small tents, now it's raining, and all the things are getting wet."

She said Hungary should deploy "big tents where people can come, sleep and have a rest. We don't even have electricity, which means we don't have warm water during the whole day."

Conditions improved farther north on the route. Austrian police said more than 6,000 crossed Thursday from Hungary, chiefly near the town of Nickelsdorf, where authorities struggled to find enough buses, trains and emergency shelter. Most went to nearby towns, but more than 1,000 stayed in huge halls filled with beds near the border.

Earlier, Austria's rail company suddenly canceled all of its cross-border service with Hungary, citing what it called "a massive overload."

That raised tensions at Budapest's main Keleti station, where dozens of daily trains were scheduled to reach the Austrian capital, Vienna. Several hundred people from the Middle East, Asia and Africa waited up to 10 hours with tickets in hand as police penned them into one area. Volunteers from the Migration Aid charity used bullhorns to try to reassure the crowd in both Arabic and English that the trains would come.

Confusion reigned as Keleti's huge arrivals and departures board showed many westbound trains to Austria, but two dozen police in surgical masks and gloves — a measure they take fearing the foreigners might have contagious diseases — blocked their access to the platforms. Hungarians and other international passengers were ferried by police along the edge of the asylum seekers to the trains.

As rumors spread that Austria was canceling services, officials scrambled to shift train schedules. After hours without clear information and amid tears of joy and relief, police gradually allowed the crowd through to trains to the border near Nickelsdorf, where they faced short walks to Austrian aid workers.

"My husband is waiting for me in Vienna. I cannot wait to see him," said Nuha al-Gumaa, a native of Aleppo, Syria, who was traveling with two brothers and her four children, including daughters Gaber, 3, and Nadine, 4. "We were on the border (with Serbia) a day ago, but reached here by walking and by bus. We slept in a garden last night. We all want so badly for this journey to be done."

The International Organization for Migration reported Thursday that 432,761 people have entered via Mediterranean routes, either from Libya to Italy or from Turkey to Greece, so far this year. That shattered previous forecasts that such traffic might reach 400,000 by the end of 2015.

Germany, the most popular destination for asylum seekers because of Chancellor Angela Merkel's pledge to provide refuge particularly to Syrians, has received more than 30,000 people since Saturday, when it and Austria struck an emergency deal with Hungary to accept thousands who had marched out of refugee camps and Keleti station toward Austria.

But Austria said it was reviewing its policy of permitting Germany-bound migrants to pass through without even registering and expressed hope that Hungary's tougher border measures would allow the country to regain control of its own asylum system.

Denmark initially sought to block hundreds of asylum seekers from trying to pass through the country to Sweden, another top destination because of its strong reputation for welcoming refugees.

But Denmark's police chief, Jens Henrik Hoejbjerg, said the country would permit all asylum seekers to reach Sweden unimpeded. That decision flies in the face of European Union rules that refugee claims should be made in the first EU entry point.

"We can't detain foreigners who do not want to seek asylum here," Hoejbjerg said. "There is no other option than to let them go, and we cannot prevent them from traveling wherever they want."

More than 3,200 had entered Denmark from Germany since Sunday, of which just 668 people have sought asylum, he said.

Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Lofven expressed surprise that Denmark hadn't stopped the asylum seekers because "all countries must register refugees."

In the Syrian capital of Damascus, the government of President Bashar al-Assad made a rare comment on the migration crisis, saying Europeans only had themselves to blame for backing rebel groups fighting the government for the past four years.

Information Minister Omran al-Zoubi said people mostly were fleeing areas held by anti-government forces, including the Islamic State group. He said Europe "sent terrorists" to Syria and imposed economic sanctions designed to drive people from the country. Government-held territory remained safe, he said, and "any Syrian abroad can return to his country any time he wants."
___

Associated Press writers Costas Kantouris in Idomeni, Greece, Alexander Kuli and Balint Szlanko in Roszke, Hungary, Philipp-Moritz Jenne in Nickelsdorf, Austria, Pablo Gorondi in Budapest, Jan Olsen in Copenhagen, Denmark, Jamey Keaten in Geneva, Switzerland, and Albert Aji in Damascus contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-09-11

"The situation here is really a big disaster because a lot of refugees are coming every hour from the border from Serbia to Hungary, to Roszke, and we don't have real infrastructure here," said Kathrin Niedermoser, whose Austrian charity for asylum seekers provided what food it could keep from getting wet. "We have small tents, now it's raining, and all the things are getting wet."

She said Hungary should deploy "big tents where people can come, sleep and have a rest. We don't even have electricity, which means we don't have warm water during the whole day."

Perhaps if she her friends and their charity as well the ''refugees'' by the levying a small service fee on these refugee' to supply ''big tents along with generators to provide electrical power as opposed to expecting the locals to pay for it via taxes etc that may be a better idea,

Europe is under siege, its peoples its traditions, culture and religious beliefs and general lifestyle are in the long term going to be the victims of the politicians stupidity nothing more nothing less.

The bleeding heart on the sleeve plaster saint liberal loonies pseudo 50 satang intellectuals and the loony left and their kind are selling the Europeans down the river.

The politicians (of all stripes) are way behind the people on this one.

There is a bleeding heart wedge of media rant on this. It's easy to lament the death of a child, but has anyone not noticed that the vast majority of those trekking towards Germany are YOUNG and they even look affluent.

Now, with youth unemployment in Europe hitting 60% in some places, I'd say a lot of trouble is brewing here.

There is a bleeding heart wedge of media rant on this. It's easy to lament the death of a child, but has anyone not noticed that the vast majority of those trekking towards Germany are YOUNG and they even look affluent.

Now, with youth unemployment in Europe hitting 60% in some places, I'd say a lot of trouble is brewing here.

Places like Spain , high youth unemployment yes, but a vast country with a lot of empty little village for sale , that cost nearly nothing and a climate in some parts more like Syria.

Just an example:

When I worked in Frankfurt, Germany, there were thousands of bankers rushing through heavy rain and storm every evening - without any shelter. I often wondered why none of all these unemployed simply sold umbrellas to them. I would have bought such an umbrella, even if I would have had to pay three times as much as in a convenient store, and many of my colleagues would have done the same.

So, the demand was there, why was there no supply?

Those refugees do have to go, otherwise they and their families face death in the war.

YES...... they have to go home..... we in Europe have faced death in war many times BUT we all stayed home and fought for our heritage.... we did not run away..!!!!

These are Moslem people heading for our shores.... send them to Saudi Arabia or Jordan or Egypt....... or maybe Bob Geldorf will house them all... that guy could not help Paula Yates nor their daughter Peaches... but he wants to save the world.... Give us all a break Sir Bob....... and all the rest of you do-gooders...blink.png

Sorry, soldiers fight for their government and an economy that lets big parts of the (native) population starve.

Quite contrary to Germany, successful revolutions are part of British heritage, too.

In WWII, I would not have fought for the Nazis but rather joined the (emigrant) resistance and maybe the Brits.

Just an example:

When I worked in Frankfurt, Germany, there were thousands of bankers rushing through heavy rain and storm every evening - without any shelter. I often wondered why none of all these unemployed simply sold umbrellas to them. I would have bought such an umbrella, even if I would have had to pay three times as much as in a convenient store, and many of my colleagues would have done the same.

So, the demand was there, why was there no supply?

The bankers in Frankfurt will soon be wading through refugees. All seriousness aside, hardly a comparable situation w/r bankers and (alleged) refugees is it?

Your apparently being a frustrated entrepreneur, should jump on this supply/demand opportunity. Throw in tents and wading boots as well (the possibilities boggle the mind). I recommend cash sales. biggrin.png

Edited by MaxYakov

Sorry, soldiers fight for their government and an economy that lets big parts of the (native) population starve.

Quite contrary to Germany, successful revolutions are part of British heritage, too.

In WWII, I would not have fought for the Nazis but rather joined the (emigrant) resistance and maybe the Brits.

You want a medal? Seriously though, no one wants ppl fleeing from their seiged country to die, but there have been other wars too in the last 40 yrs, and were they given this same treatment? And I mean numbers wise, as others cannot be compared for such a short period of time. Is this going to be the new thing when a war breaks out that ppl will DEMAND to be accepted and go where ever they please?

Why do you think that other muslim countries are not taking in big numbers, considering it would be easier for many ppl to assimilate? I know, I've asked many questions, but they have to be asked.

Edit: I looked up Vietnam, hundreds of thousands came, I know 3 personally, so I've answered one of my own questions.

Edited by Friendly Stranger

Yeah, but only in some places, not even for a whole country. And don't even think, that the refugees have no education. There a lot of skilled engineers, doctors, mechanics aso. who will be a benefit for the market. Open the borders, it will be the benefit for everybody. Walls can't help = see "Berlin Wall". (or fence between US and MEX)

@ Friendly Stranger:

No, I don't want a medal. I want a change in politics, I want internationsl class-consciousness and respect for families within armies.

A man should know what he's fighting for, and he should be able and allowed to make a free decision.

I know it's hard, it smells like a right to desertion. I was banned from Deutsche Bundeswehr when I told them I would rather shoot my own officers than betray or hand over my girlfriend.

Nothing has changed for me. I would fight only for the ones Iove. And I love my Thai girlfriend and her family, certainly more than Germany or Europe.

Looking back the last 40 years, the first thing that comes into my mind is the end of the Vietnam war. A war that was won by peasants, workers and students - with GIs on their side.

Then there were all these geopolitical conflicts in the Middle East, which now turn out to be a disaster. Those refugees fortunately don't follow their warlords, else they would have stayed.

Places like Spain , high youth unemployment yes, but a vast country with a lot of empty little village for sale , that cost nearly nothing and a climate in some parts more like Syria.

I guess you are not Spaniard yourself whistling.gif

Sssst ! Anything to get them away from my country....or I'll have to be 75 to finaly get my pension AND live as a minority between muslims !

@ MaxYakov:

You have good ideas.

In one thing you're wrong. I was a banker, and I was on the demand side.

What were you demanding? I hope it wasn't anything like these (again, alleged) refugees are demanding.

Edited by MaxYakov

@ MaxYakov:

You have good ideas.

In one thing you're wrong. I was a banker, and I was on the demand side.

What were you demanding? I hope it wasn't anything like these (again, alleged) refugees are demanding.

As a banker (IT) I demanded a good and well-paid job (got it).

As a person, I demanded free choice how, where and with whom I would spend my money (was prohibited)

As a commuter, I would have liked an umbrella on my way to the train station sometimes. But nobody there to sell it in this 'Muslim-free zone' around the bank buildings.

Sssst ! Anything to get them away from my country....or I'll have to be 75 to finaly get my pension AND live as a minority between muslims !

Austerity is not a Muslim invention.

Conditions improved farther north on the route. Austrian police said more than 6,000 crossed Thursday from Hungary, chiefly near the town of Nickelsdorf, where authorities struggled to find enough buses, trains and emergency shelter. Most went to nearby towns, but more than 1,000 stayed in huge halls filled with beds near the border.

The hills are alive . . . with the sound of Allah.

And so they come, day after day, in their thousands and tens of thousands, picking and choosing which countries they will deign to live in.

Hungary..no way! Austria.. maybe, but not really generous enough! Germany...Yes! Yes! Denmark.. not with the current proposals to cut back social security benefits! Sweden...Yes! Yes! Poland and most of Eastern Europe..too poor! Led by aggressive young men, with a sprinkling of weary women and cute kids in the rear to provide photo opportunities for the media monkeys.

Europe is being invaded, without a shot being fired, and her politicians, with a few honourable exceptions, watch in mesmerised horror, wringing their hands, or play up to over-the-hill popstars and bleeding heart luvies in the hope of furthering their own opportunistic careers.

Watch and weep.

No country other than the first port of entry that has signed the refugee convention is obligated to provide anything for unregistered persons crossing their territory.

Unfortunately you're right. That's one of the consequences of the Dublin II treaty which was clearly to the advantage of Germany.

Winter stopped the Nazis in Russia...hopefully it will be the same with this invasion.

As an aside....anyone noticed how clean shaven most of the young me appear? It will be interesting to see the same young men in two months when the reach the land of milk and honey.

Very media savvy this mob, and will play the bleeding hearts like fiddle.

What will 50 years look like when there are very few taxpayers compared to the bludgers? Third world Europe?

@ Mudcrab:

Your insight into world-wide migration is tremendous.

Do you hhappen to be an emigrant who came to Thailand?

Thank you...yes..sort of..I was invited here by my wife....but I came here legally without the ideology of murdering, subduing and forcing my beliefs upon the native population on pain of death.

And you?