New human-like species discovered in South Africa

webfact

A squeeze down a narrow crack, and then an amazing discovery
By LYNSEY CHUTEL

MAGALIESBURG, South Africa (AP) — Jagged rocks hooked into Steven Tucker's overalls as he squeezed through a crack deep in a subterranean cave. Upon emerging at the other end, he saw he was in a chamber dripping with stalactites. Then his headlamp shone onto a bone. Then more bones, and half of a skull.

It was the night of Sept. 13, 2013, and Tucker and his caving partner had just discovered the remains of what scientists would later determine to be a new member of the human family tree. The announcement of the discovery was made by scientists on Thursday, with Tucker looking on.

Tucker was only trying to get out of fellow caver Rick Hunter's way, inching to the side, on a different intended route when he stepped into the crack in the network of caves known as Rising Star. He'd heard of the crack before, but despite having been down this cave more than 20 times before, he had never noticed it, nor known of any other caver who had ventured down it.

He shone his headlamp down the dark crevice, and couldn't see where it ended. He knew of at least one other caver who also stared down the crack, and decided it was too dangerous. He began to lower himself, feet-first, into the narrow vertical opening.

"It's exciting to find something new," Tucker, now 27, told The Associated Press on Thursday, trying to explain why he took the risk.

Tucker, just wiry enough to fit, followed the crack deeper into the earth for nearly 13 yards (12 meters).

"It's 18 centimeters (7.1 inches) wide, with these jagged rocks, sticking into you from all sides. And suddenly at the bottom, it opens up into a large chamber with really stunning stalactites hanging from the ceiling," Tucker said, hunching his shoulders and jutting his elbows out as he re-enacted the descent.

The 50,000-hectare (123,550-acre) area of hilly grasslands where the two were spelunking is recognized as the Cradle of Humankind, featuring a network of caves that has yielded nearly 40 percent of known hominid fossils, according to the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg. But the bones in this particular chamber had apparently remained undiscovered until Tucker entered it.

Inside what is now known as the Dinaledi chamber, Tucker's headlamp illuminated pure white rock formations. Tucker and Hunter, who also braved the narrow chute, were excited to find new caving terrain. Then they saw the bones scattered on the chamber floor.

"You could see half of a skull sticking out of the floor," Tucker said. "Of course, at that time we had no idea what we had found. ... What interested us at first was the fact that these were quite large bones. How does something that has no lights, no protective equipment like we had get in here?"

An almost complete mandible told the cavers that they had found something almost human. Their camera battery had died so a week later they made their way through the cave again, and photographed their find. They sent the photos to geologist Pedro Boshoff, who alerted paleontologist Lee Berger, who went onto become the lead paleontologist on the discovery of Homo naledi. It was only when the cavers saw Berger's excitement that they realized just how big their discovery was.

At the press conference announcing the discovery of Homo naledi, a potential new member of the human family tree, Tucker was joined by other cavers who volunteered on the excavation for nearly two years. Berger called them "underground astronauts."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-09-11

I'm a bit jealous. I've also climbed in a few places where no others (in the past several thousand years at least) have climbed. I put ropes down from the top skylights of two unclimbable caverns near Chiang Rai. One is 30 and the other 24 meters high. I belayed down and looked for any interesting rocks or fossils. The most interesting thing I saw (with a few cursory glances) was a pure white rounded rock (alabaster?) about the size of two toasters end to end. Also found some low-grade crystals among the bat poop.

At a nearby quarry, found some possibly interesting rocks with multiple thin layers. Was thinking they may be like the stromabolites (sp?) found on Australia's west coast which indicate earliest life forms. Oh well, it's fun to poke around. Kudos to the cavers in S.Africa who found the new discoveries.

Myself I find this story fascinating , probably but not only because I am a history buff, there have been some negative posts removed by the moderater.

Question how can anyone find anything offensive to say about such a discovery ? These posters are beyond belief. Should be ashamed, well perhaps in the morning when the hang over has subsided some.

Myself I find this story fascinating , probably but not only because I am a history buff, there have been some negative posts removed by the moderater.

Question how can anyone find anything offensive to say about such a discovery ? These posters are beyond belief. Should be ashamed, well perhaps in the morning when the hang over has subsided some.

Agree

Agree

My guess would be either racist comments or comments from superstitious people who don't believe in evolution. Both would be offensive to me.

Science rules!

Like some of the better posters, I too, am fascinated by this and many other discoveries. It is amazing to find and put the pieces of our most ancient ancestry together. Sadly, others, are only interested in making racially tinged remarks about who might be directly related to this 'missing link'. In fact, we may all be related in some way to this discovery.

It will be interesting to see whether they can extract any DNA from any of the bones. It would make putting this piece of the puzzle of man in its proper place much easier.

Like some of the better posters, I too, am fascinated by this and many other discoveries. It is amazing to find and put the pieces of our most ancient ancestry together. Sadly, others, are only interested in making racially tinged remarks about who might be directly related to this 'missing link'. In fact, we may all be related in some way to this discovery.

It will be interesting to see whether they can extract any DNA from any of the bones. It would make putting this piece of the puzzle of man in its proper place much easier.

Yes joking aside (except for those who know what a yarpie is) this is a fascinating discovery. Well done these guys. I remember seeing a cave complex in SA about 35 years ago which was supposed to have been inhabited by bushmen from time immamorial (don't think thats spelled right) I will have to look out my old pics now this has jogged my memory. Please do not think I am racist, or anti-anybody and anything except joking, but I can't resist a joke about a sub-human species. So if you get the chance, look up yarpie in the Urban Dictionary. Sorry to bring down the tone of this scientific Toome. Edited by MiKT

Yes joking aside (except for those who know what a yarpie is) this is a fascinating discovery. Well done these guys. I remember seeing a cave complex in SA about 35 years ago which was supposed to have been inhabited by bushmen from time immamorial (don't think thats spelled right) I will have to look out my old pics now this has jogged my memory. Please do not think I am racist, or anti-anybody and anything except joking, but I can't resist a joke about a sub-human species. So if you get the chance, look up yarpie in the Urban Dictionary. Sorry to bring down the tone of this scientific Toome.

Been and had a look in Sterkfontein caves a few times years ago, that was interesting even to people who dont know what a yarpie is :D

According to this Nature article, fossil DNA has a 521-year half-life.

Yes joking aside (except for those who know what a yarpie is) this is a fascinating discovery. Well done these guys. I remember seeing a cave complex in SA about 35 years ago which was supposed to have been inhabited by bushmen from time immamorial (don't think thats spelled right) I will have to look out my old pics now this has jogged my memory. Please do not think I am racist, or anti-anybody and anything except joking, but I can't resist a joke about a sub-human species. So if you get the chance, look up yarpie in the Urban Dictionary. Sorry to bring down the tone of this scientific Toome.
Been and had a look in Sterkfontein caves a few times years ago, that was interesting even to people who dont know what a yarpie is :D
Thanks very much, jogged my memory. The Sterkfontein caves are about 40 k from Jburg and are thought to contain some of the earliest human settlement. Very interesting I visited them with Thai swmbo in 2008. But I was actually thinking of the "Bushman Caves" at Bushmans Nek in the Sehlabehele National Park in the Southern Drakensburg mountains near Lesthoto, I visited them with the semi-yarpie ex swmbo back in 1980. Wonderful scenery. Very, very interesting. Actually visually much better than the Sterkfontein site. Great part of the Draks and in those days almost deserted (a bit like Phuket used to be then, deserted that is). For cave lovers some of the most amazing are the Cango caves in Oudtshoon. Bonus of lots of ostrich farms in that part of SA for tourists. ......There, redemed myself.

Been and had a look in Sterkfontein caves a few times years ago, that was interesting even to people who dont know what a yarpie is biggrin.png
Thanks very much, jogged my memory. The Sterkfontein caves are about 40 k from Jburg and are thought to contain some of the earliest human settlement. Very interesting I visited them with Thai swmbo in 2008. But I was actually thinking of the "Bushman Caves" at Bushmans Nek in the Sehlabehele National Park in the Southern Drakensburg mountains near Lesthoto, I visited them with the semi-yarpie ex swmbo back in 1980. Wonderful scenery. Very, very interesting. Actually visually much better than the Sterkfontein site. Great part of the Draks and in those days almost deserted (a bit like Phuket used to be then, deserted that is). For cave lovers some of the most amazing are the Cango caves in Oudtshoon. Bonus of lots of ostrich farms in that part of SA for tourists. ......There, redemed myself.

With you right up to the ostrich farms bit, is that a SA tourist thing or something ? because its not exactly top of the tourist interest list where I come from

Been and had a look in Sterkfontein caves a few times years ago, that was interesting even to people who dont know what a yarpie is biggrin.png

With you right up to the ostrich farms bit, is that a SA tourist thing or something ? because its not exactly top of the tourist interest list where I come from
What no interest in ostriches. Man you have never lived! The ostrich farms are (were) good fun with ostrich races with human riders. People shoving their hands down ostriches throats (if you like that kind of thing) and a chance to stand on an ostrich egg. Wow the fun never ends. Not to mention what you can do with ostrich feathers.... or the people you can meet in Oudtshoon bars who only want to kill a roinek a little bit. Well a lot really, but I expect there all in Aus now (or reading this post).

What no interest in ostriches. Man you have never lived! The ostrich farms are (were) good fun with ostrich races with human riders. People shoving their hands down ostriches throats (if you like that kind of thing) and a chance to stand on an ostrich egg. Wow the fun never ends. Not to mention what you can do with ostrich feathers.... or the people you can meet in Oudtshoon bars who only want to kill a roinek a little bit. Well a lot really, but I expect there all in Aus now (or reading this post).

And of course lets not forget eating them very good meat biggrin.png

You may need to explain the term Rooinek as well tongue.png